“HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE”

Ranked #48 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Lancaster, California
“HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I have stayed at many hotels over the years and this was the worst experience ever. It was cheap but not even close to being worth it. First of all the rooms are very small and bathroom in tiny. The hotel looked very run down but we figured we would try and tough it out since we made reservations for 2 days. When we got to the room, we discovered we had absolutely no ac outlets with the exception of 2 in the bathroom.... no way to plug in a laptop, tablet, cell phone, etc. If it wasn't late and we hadn't made reservation we would have looked for another room, but figured we would give it a shot. I did go to the front desk and complain about the outlets and the clerk looked surprised... but I think she knew. The maint man come to the room and ran an extension cord from the multiple outlet... not ideal but figured it may get us by. After checking the room out further, we found mold under the bathroom sink, a filthy and very small shower, cobwebs in the corners or room, the bedspread was dirty (we removed this from the bed). The more we looked the more we realized just how disgusting this place was. We did bring disinfectant which we sprayed everywhere including the entire bed, and used our own pillows.

The room had a small table with one chair. I guess we had to take turns using it.

When the guy came to hook up the extension cord, I showed him a print out of the hotel and picture of the room. I asked him what room that was. He actually told me it was a Photoshopped picture... unbelievable.

Even though we reserved 2 nights, we decided we would spend one night there and leave in the morning. Before checking out, I turned the shower on and the water barely dripped out... unbelievable.

When I checked out I was told that I had to give a 24 hour notice. After explaining why we would not be staying another night, they told me I would need to take it up with upper management and they could not refund the 2nd night. After explaining how ridiculous that was especially when it specifically stats on the Wyndham website that we could cancel before 6 pm and not be charged he asked me for a printout... told him several times it was ON THE WEBSITE.

After arguing and explaining how disgusting the hotel was they finally gave me a refund for the second night. No refund for the first night but I didn't care.... I just wanted to get out of there.

I have now learned my lesson and will never reserve rooms in advance. I will now ask to look at a room first...

I would rather sleep in my car before staying at this place.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank D C
GMFlagstaff2014, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Flagstaff University West, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Hello D C,

I am sincerely regretful that we failed to provide you accommodation sufficing your preference. I assure you that I will accelerate your concerns so that this will be further evaluated and addressed properly. Trust that our management will look into your concerns and will implement necessary corrective measure/s to avoid further inconvenience. Thank you for staying with us. I hope to see you again and allow us to offer you improved services in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Nice Clean Good for a night or two
Promo Prices were very attrctive as we were just traveling thru Az

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

GMFlagstaff2014, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Flagstaff University West, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Hello LeeMNovak,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Inn Flagstaff as your primary choice of hotel during your travels. I hope you and your family had a comfortable time staying at our hotel. The next time you travel through Arizona I hope that you would continue to choose Howard Johnson for your accommodation needs! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Room is really great. Includes a microwave and a refrigerator. Bed is comfy, too. The location is good -- close to historic area of Flagstaff. Room was clean and staff helpful. Note that I was quoted a price at the desk that was $10 higher than I'd seen online at tripadvisor.com As soon as I mentioned that, she matched that price.
To our amazement, the front desk phoned us within a half hour of our arrival to ask if everything was okay. What a nice touch!

Room Tip: You can request either first or second floor. We found the first floor quiet enough.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello M J B,

We are delighted that you had a wonderful time staying at our hotel. It is so nice to hear that our dedication for customer satisfaction has certainly paid off. Thank you again for choosing Howard Johnson Inn Flagstaff. We look forward to having another opportunity to provide all your accommodation needs in the future!