“This place is a DUMP!!!!”

Howard Johnson Inn Flagstaff University West
Ranked #52 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Where do I start. When we arrived to check in the lady at the front desk came limping out barefoot, which was not a very welcoming first impression. After we checked in and went up to our room (expecting it to be newly renovated) the room was discusting to say the least. The floors carpet had black stains all over not to mention being on the top floor buckling in in some areas, wall paper that was torn up with paint slapped over it, spider webs in corners, cracks in the bathroom, and it was NOT a pleasant smell to walk into. We immediately went back to the front desk and asked for a refund which the manager refused.
We have contacted the Howard Johnson Corporate office to try and get a refund....we will see what happens.
Luckily the Quality Inn had two rooms left since the rest of Flagstaff was completely booked. I would recommend staying there over this DUMP any day.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at ALL!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PizzaRolls

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed there 07/08/12, booked through Expedia. I found the rooms very nice, the location was convenient to several places to eat, drink or both. Free WiFi, which is very important to me, and they had smoking rooms available. The hotel staff were friendly and professional. Continental Breakfast a little scimpy but did have plenty of O.J. and coffee though .Overall, I liked it.

Room Tip: I suppose if you want a smoking room, book early. If that doesn't apply to you, they're all...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 29, 2012

After being on the road for 15 hours, my family and I checked in here last night at around 8:30 pm and were very disappointed with the overall quality of the property. It is billed as a "HoJo Inn", but is much more like a run-down roadside motel. The place was so bad that we decided to leave and find alternate accommodations. I thought I had booked a "mini suite with 3 double beds" which cost me $100, but instead was shown to a tiny dark room with the third bed in an adjoining windowless and ventless large closet . The manager refused to refund our money, but I called my credit card company and am disputing the charge. I will also be on the phone this morning to HoJo corporate this morning to let them know how disappointed I was. Luckily the Quality Inn down the road had vacancy and we were able to stay there for less money and a much nicer property.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Christine2805
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I'd like to start this by saying that this is the first time I have written a review but due to the poor conditions of this "HoJo", I felt compelled to do so. The manager was less than helpful and by the look of him, I knew what I was in for. The room was poorly lit, dirty, the linens seemed to be about ten years old, and there bugs. Normally, I would not mind, except for the bugs, but at $100 a night (Hotels.com), I was disappointed. The kids even complained which was rare. At night, I thought I would go to the jacuzzi to relax but to only find that the heat never came on and neither did the jets. No worries...the kids didn't seem to mind. I turned on the sauna to find that once the rocks heated up, the whole room smelled of urine. HoJo recently purchased this hotel and were making some restorations but they have a long way to go.

Never again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jared B
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We were given an uncleaned room beds weren't made had wet towels on them, hair on shower, cans of beer, etc We went to talk to the manager and he told us that we had asked for an early check in (5o mins) so the room was now leveled "occupied" therefore maids couldn't get in so we had to take it as it was. Whatt!!! we thought he was playing but he was dead serious and told us to leave if we didn't like it. We had paid $104 already through Expedia for a room of a $35 value! Even if the room had been cleaned, the hotel is very old and dirty! We left but later we found out that the whole town was booked so we figured that the manager knew that and knew that he could rent the room for an even higher price. He refused to give us our money back because "we" were the ones not wanting the room!!!! We were glad to find another place for the similar price but very clean and nice!

Room Tip: Don't even try this place! There are a few choices a few blocks away.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MalcG560
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Got stranded in Flagstaff Arizona and my last minute iPhone search shows me this is the cheapest place in town for about $37 after tax. With trepidation I booked it.
Turns out I had nothing to fear.
The worst part of the experience was finding the place. This was previously a Travellers Inn and driving along the Highway coming from the east the old Travellers Inn sign is still present with "Howard Johnson" in black plastic letters under the Travellers Inn sign logo. As I was looking for the iconic HOJO marquee I missed it an went right by. Had to grab some free WIFI at a hotel down the street to determine I should have driven by the place a block back. Coming back from the west there is a Howard Johnson banner draped over the Travellers Inn sign.

Upon getting into the room found a mini-fridge and a newish micowave - but one with rotary dials for the timer. Who still buys these microwaves when you can find all digital ones for $30?
Did a quick check around the mattress seams for any signs of bed b*gs and found nothing to worry about. The free wifi was nice to have but slow. Checking email was fine but don't expect to be streaming any video.
The whole look of the place was a little cheap and run down but for $37 what are you expecting.
Ended up spending two days here and has no problems, just a place to lay your head for a bit.

The location is just around the corner from the main fast food drag where there are lots of choices for some quick meals and easy access to the interstate.

Really couldn't of asked for anything more.

TIP the Lowell Observatory is close by and every other day has night time telescope viewings. If you are a member of another science and technology museum with reciprocating membership you can get in for free.

Room Tip: Orbitz had the lowest rates when I checked.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
familyinn, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Flagstaff University West, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2012

I thank you very much for the positive review and It is my hope to see you again during your next stay in Flagstaff!!!

Reviewed May 4, 2012

We found the room passibly clean and the rate was cheap but that was all that was acceptable at this property. We did not feel safe in a room that did not have a workable lock other than the door handle. The pillows were not even good enough to donate to a homeless shelter. Internet was stolen from a nearby hotel. There is no place to eat in the lobby so it was okay that breakfast is almost non existent. This property was chosen sight unseen on the internet and reminds us that if it seems to be too good to be true it probably is. Howard Johnson needs to inspect this property.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gailmath

I do thank you for your feedback and I do apologize your stay was less than satisfying. We have taken recent management over the hotel along with a recent conversion to Howard Johnson. I assure you all these issues will be addressed to avoid them from arising in the future. I do thank you for your business and It is my hope that you will give us another try in the future.