Howard Johnson Flagstaff I-40 East Lucky Lane
Ranked #49 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed December 24, 2009

A pretty typical motel. The room was very clean, smelled fine, and the front desk people were nice. Breakfast was okay but not great.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank _aesacus

Reviewed November 18, 2009

This hotel is clean and comfortable. The free breakfast is very nice and the hotel offers free wi-fi. It is a basic room, but it is very clean and comfortable. I am extremely pleased for the price paid!! Great value! Conveniently located to Sedona (drive is beautiful), Grand Canyon, and many other area attractions.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank gidgetsemporium
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I paid $86 for two nights. AARP rate again. I did a motorcycle trip from Austin to Sedona, and, tightwad that I am, I'm not paying an arm and a leg for some place to crash. Hey, this Hojo has a hair dryer! That should make the ladies happy, but I know it won't. I got a king bed...a helluva lot softer than the two Motel 6s I stayed in the previous two nights, and the pillows were softer, too. And free breakfast! Yeah, you know what Hojo has...but it's *free*. You want a big breakfast? Go down the street a couple of blocks and eat at Denny's, and pay. It's off-season, too, so there were no stupid noisy tourists (there were still a bunch in Sedona, though). There was a bit of traffic noise, but with the fan going, you don't hear it. Plenty of hot water, too. And free wifi. The housekeeper cleaned my room nicely, and all my stuff was still there. I have no complaints. (Oh...if you find the wifi slow, which I didn't, just leech off the Super 8 next door.)

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Scayf
Reviewed November 5, 2009

The rooms were relatively inexpensive for traveling on a budget. We had no issues with the rooms. The breakfast was fine--your usual free breakfast with pastries, juice, coffee, and self serve waffles. Not a lot of meat, but that's not uncommon for a free breakfast I have found. One of the clerks at the front desk acted as if my coming to get change for the washer/dryer really put him out, but other than that we had a fine stay. We would consider staying here again if in Flagstaff.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We've stayed here a couple of times. We like it because it's pet-friendly, there's usually a vacancy, and there's a Denny's a few doors down. The rooms are surprisingly large, which works for us because our two dogs are 100lbs. each. The room surfaces are clean enough, but I wouldn't walk around barefoot. The beds are middling comfortable, a little softer than I prefer (we have a Tempurpedic at home, so anything with springs is an adjustment). If you're traveling with a dog or with dogs and you book online, double-check the pet rate. The website I used when booking the room stated $10 per pet/per night; at check-in, the clerk tried to charge $15. When I protested, he did give me the $10 rate. And to be fair, a sign on the lobby desk lists $15. However, $10 was what I saw advertised, so that's what I wanted.

The wi-fi here is iffy, as it seems to be in most lof the 2- and 3-star places I've stayed. Best bet for getting connected is to get a room nearer the office. If your room is in the back, farthest from the office, you'll probably have trouble getting Internet access.

The motel is on the east side of town, in an industrial/commercial area. It's not ideal if you want to be able to walk to most of what Flag has to offer. That said, Flagstaff is still small in area and it only takes a few minutes to drive to NAU or the downtown area.

(This motel is managed by the same people that manages the Super 8 next door (or was when we stayed there in '08). I don't recommend the Super 8, though. It's dirtier and we experienced problems, including a dead battery for the entry system that required waiting for a locksmith to get back into our room one night.)

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2009

This location is a good motel for the value.

Clean, adequately-sized rooms. Comfortable beds. Easy access-- IF-- you choose the correct one. DO NOT go off the signs on I-40 west. You'll end up at the other HoJo. After just walking in to the lobby, I wouldn't stay there...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank bigred
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We were unsure of what to expect when we mistakenly arrived at the 'other' motel also located in the Flagstaff vicinity last night.... What a HAPPY SURPRISE to find this Howard Johnson's quiet, very clean and so much closer to the interstate we used for our daytime side trips and downtown Flagstaff area for meals.
The room is small but a room air conditioner and a functioning stand up fan are within. The king bed mattress is comfortable. Electrical outlets are sparce so consider bringing your own surge protected multi-outlet panel for recharging cells, and using laptops. The bathroom towels are older and we needed to call for more as only one bath towel was provided, but the shower head output is strong and the water is immediately hot with no varience when the toilet is flushed.
All in all, this place is a winner.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple