“A nice surpise!”

Ranked #52 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Canyon
“A nice surpise!”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

This motel in Flagstaff was a pleasant surpise. The rooms where nicely decorated and had refrigerators and pillow top matresses. It was clean too. Breakfast had waffles, fruit, donuts and bagles plus more. My only complaint was the desk person when I checked out. He must have been still asleep because he just grunted at me and never smiled.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
s f bay area
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Rooms were old; doors were a bit shaky ( but for 1 night) price was right. No complaints. Very old TV. Train & bar were close - noisy. IF you're tired which we were, didn't bother us.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
San Marcos, California
Reviewed August 8, 2009

For just a little more than $50/night, this was a decent value. On the plus side, the room was clean, towels were large and fluffy (and replaced daily, altho' to me that's a waste of precious water), the continental breakfast was better than some (thanks to the waffle-maker and fresh fruit), there was a computer in the lobby available for free internet use, there was plenty of ice in the ice-maker at all times and lots of convenient parking. On the negative side, the rooms are dated in appearance, the (cheap) blanket had holes, and the nearby train whistle is enough to keep a light sleeper awake. (Note that this is a common problem in Flagstaff. Many of the hotels/motels are near the train tracks.) All things considered, we would probably stay here again at this price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Glendale, AZ
Reviewed August 3, 2009

This hotel was in pretty good condition compared to some of the other hotels that I saw around Flagstaff. My husband and I like this room. The beds were pretty comfy and seemed big too. The room smelled really clean when we first walked in, and it was throughout the whole room! The front desk staff was polite, but they had someone working who didn't even know there way around town! When we asked for directions we couldn't get one good answer. This actually led us on a little drive, and we had to finally stop and ask for directions at a gas station! The people in the adjoining room weren't very loud, but we could hear them! That was the really only downfall of this place!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
orange county, california
Reviewed July 22, 2009

The price was terrific, so I was a little worried about the condition of the room, afterall I had booked the room for three nights. WOW, I was shocked! The beds are new and lovely. The room was the cleanest I have ever stayed in. I did not try the continenal breakfast, but it smelled decent. I did not try out the pool, but I saw lots of others using it. This is the place to stay if you want CLEAN, comfortable, reasonably priced and friendly innkeepers. We had neighbors on both sides two out of the three nights and we heard nothing, very quiet! I know you might wonder if this is a true review, but it is really true. I have not done a trip advisor review before, although I use this site every single time I travel. So, believe this Howard Johnson is a keeper!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
mesa az
Reviewed July 9, 2009

My overall experience was very positive. The staff is excellent , check in and check out a breeze, the room was very clean, and the room amenities are very good; especially the quality of the bed. We much appreciated the fact that there were toiletries, iron and ironing board, refrigerator, microwave, extra sink, coffee pot, desk, dinette, free internet. The quality of the room and the great service are definitely a cut above and at a very reasonable price. Location is very convenient. I would definitely stay here again.

The only disappointment was that the room was not as quite and it could be. We could hear the TV, conversations, and guests from the adjoining rooms. In all fairness this could have been because a high school basketball team was staying there. There is also some road noise and noise from the train. Most unfortunate for such a lovely place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We didn't expect too much after getting a great deal for the room on expedia. But the front desk staff was polite, the room was clean and spacious including refrig/microwave, and the area was nice with a few restaurants that you could walk to including a cracker barrel. I would stay here again.. Thanks for the comfy night howard johnson!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple