“Clean, cozy and quiet”

Ranked #52 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Michigan
“Clean, cozy and quiet”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed from July 15-19, 2012. Room was clean, no funky smells, no bugs. Beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. Mostly traveling families and older folks stayed here - very quiet, no noisy neighbors or parties. Free breakfast was just okay. Free WiFi with a good connection. Water pressure in the shower was good. All in all, it was a very standard Route 66-type older motel that gave us a safe, clean and comfortable place to lay our heads after long days of hiking and sightseeing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank QueenofCyprus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
York, PA
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I thought this place was a good value for the money. We were visiting family and were only there to sleep. The room was clean, the staff was friendly and helpful. The wifi worked and the continental breakfast was free. The beds were really comfortable. My only disappointments were the shower pressure (replace or clean them), and we could only find 2 outlets to charge our electronics. Excellent location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisa B
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Very disappointed!! Check in time is 3:00pm - no exceptions. We arrived at 11:30 am after driving 5 1/2 hours only to be told we couldn't check in until 3:00 pm. We decided to go swimming while we waited. We were told we couldn't use the pool until after we checked in, so we had 3 1/2 hours to kill. The room we were in was at the very end of the motel, literally 10 feet away from a busy road. I called and asked if we could move to room closer to the lobby (at the front) only to be told that ALL of the customers that reserved rooms with king beds (32 total rooms) had already checked within 15 minutes after we did. Pretty odd considering there was only 1 car in the parking lot. Very noisy room and in the morning we found the coffee pot but no coffee. There was an open cardboard box on the front desk to return the room keys. Anybody could walk in and take a key. I would hightly recommend staying at any of the other motels on the same road. They can't be worse than this one.

Room Tip: Stay at another motel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marilyn H

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Vine Grove, Kentucky
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel was a sigh of relief! After staying at a horrible hotel the night before, we were leary of choosing another one. We stopped into this hotel late at night after another night of driving over 12 hours. We were pleasantly greeted by the guy at the front desk. He priced us a quote and gave us rooms on the bottom floor (which is exactly what I like). My parents stayed in the room next to us. It was off I-40 but I didn't hear any interstate noise. It was a nice quiet area. We were able to park right by our doors so it was easy to unload and load our stuff. The rooms were clean and the beds were great! The next morning we had breakfast. It was the BEST breakfast that I've ever had at a hotel. You could make your own waffles, they had bagels, cereal, etc. The area for breakfast was a little cramped but luckily when I went down there, there wasn't anyone else in the area. The lady at the desk didn't rush me (even though I waited until the last minute to go down there.). She was very nice! It was a very pleasant experience!!!

2 Thank kjdiddles06
Laton, California
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We felt confident making reservations over the phone because we had stayed at fantastic Howard Johnsons in the Anaheim area. When we got to the hotel we noticed that it looked a little worn. Our room was not what I would consider to be to Howard Johnson standards. The door was severely scuffed, the carpet and furniture had cigarette burns/holes, the sink had stains, and the bathtub had a crack that had been patched. The positive points were that the beds and pillows were excellent. The staff member at the front desk was very nice and helpful. She brought our roll-away bed and towels promptly. Maybe we got an older room that has not been renovated in several years. We were disappointed and felt that it wasn't up to the standards that we have come to expect from Howard Johnson hotel chain.

3 Thank crismiss
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel offers a good value for Flagstaff. Our family of 5 fit comfortably in a 2 queens room. The room had a refrigerator and microwave, which is a plus when traveling with children. Location is good... it's nestled among many other hotels/motels and is very close to Cracker Barrel. It has easy access to I-40 and reasonably priced gas nearby. The wi/fi was easy and fast.

On the negative side, the carpet was dirty and turned my kids feet black. However, I have found this to be true of most hotels/motels at this level. The walls seemed fairly thin... I noticed it most when people walked by or talked outside of our room. The corners of the bathroom were a bit dusty, and the towels were thin and VERY rough... probably the roughest I've encountered yet. The breakfast was adequate, if a bit limited.

Overall, I was pleased with the value we got. The room size was good, the beds were fine, and we really had everything we needed. We love stopping in at Cracker Barrel, so it was nice to be close. For a "pay when you stay" hotel/motel for a reasonable price, it's a good option.

2 Thank natgreen79
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 26, 2012

A clean a comfortable room for a family of 6 with good service from the staff

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Howard Johnson Flagstaff I-40 East Lucky Lane, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
We are sorry you experienced some noise while staying with us. June and July are our most sold out times of the year and at the time you were here we also had several youth sports teams staying withus for tournaments and as we all know children can be very lively but we enjoy having youth teams here because we believe in kids having goals and something in their lives that help instill team work, values, and goals and we love being a part of that. As for the small dining area yes it only accomodates approximately 30 at a time but we are in the process of trying to expand to better accomodate our guests. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again.