All reviewsroom was cleangrand canyonbagelsfridge and microwavewalmartnau
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This hotel is not only old with spotty WiFi, but Shawna, the clerk at the front desk is the rudest person I've ever dealt with. At breakfast, she overheard a friend we were traveling with say that the word "refridgerator" on the refrigerator was misspelled and immediately assumed our friend was calling the staff stupid. When we mentioned the coffee was gone, she said "I have to check the internet for the correct spelling of refrigerator first. She was on the internet for 10 minutes and then finally came back and flipped a switch on the coffee machine, which she could have done before going back to her desk.

The next morningm, the coffee was again out and there was an annoying, boring, snowy news channel on TV, which we switched off since the 4 of us were the only ones eating breakfast. Two seconds later, Shawna turned the TV set back on from the front desk and we asked her if she could leave it off while we ate. She said, "no it was motel policy to have the news on during breakfast hours" (where does "the customer is always right" fit in here?). When we turned it off again, stating that we would turn it back on when someone else came to breakfast, Shawna started ranting and raving. She said "are you checking out today", and when we said "yes", she said "GOOD". I told her she was being very rude to paying customers and she said she didn't care, and when we asked her to just drop the whole thing, she said "she didn't have to be quite and that she had a right to express her opinion". Mind you, she was yelling at us in front of other patrons who had come into the building by then. They were appalled and shocked to hear such a tirade coming from an employee toward customers. I can't believe Howard Johnson's would allow an employee like Shawna to work for them, and as a result, we will never stay at another Howard Johnson's again, and would highly recommend you don't stay here either.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Pat32999
Howard johnson ... l, Manager at Howard Johnson by Wyndham Flagstaff I-40 East Lucky Lane, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2012

We believe this review of our front desk clerk is unfounded due to the fact that we have recieved so many great compliments on her in the past 2 years. I myself had some experiences with these guests while they were here and they just weren't happy with anything not just the clerk other guests even complained about how rude these guests were and I don't think they would have been happy here no matter what.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Needed a place to crash on our way to the Grand Canyon. Sister suggested HoJo because of their consistent good value and reasonable rates. This particular hotel did not live up to that, and I should have seen it when we checked in and had to wait ten minutes for the guy at the reception desk to show up. The room smelled funky, not horrible but just weird and stale, and the carpets are not something I would want to ever put bare feet on. The blankets on the bed were insufficient; the room was by no means cold but I felt chilled when laying in bed and woke up a couple of times due to not feeling warm enough. Breakfast ended fifteen minutes before they said it would, and when I asked the lady if there was anything left over, she said "maybe some coffee"; so much more curt and rude than she needed to be for someone in the service industry. Save your money and stay elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

We are sorry you were not pleased with your stay. In regards to the carpeting we are in the process of installing new carpet in our rooms and you were probably in one that has not been done yet. In order to keep things well stocked for our guests we have to go to a store room to retrieve supplies from time to time so we put a sign on our desk letting you know we will be right back while we go for these things. We are never gone for more than 10 minutes and just ask that you be patient while we go to get supplies or help another guest. As for breakfast it is always open until 9 am and we sometimes stay open later when exceptionally busy. We also always have coffee and tea around the clock. We have noticed in the past that sometimes guests come in after 9 am and get mad if breakfast is over but we inform each and every guest at check in that breakfast is 6-9.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

April 11th, 2012 I stayed one night and was pleased with the room and service. A standard older room but clean, vacuumed and well kept. Room had a microwave, refrig, coffiee maker and a iron and ironing board. Bathroom was very clean and the shower worked well. Mattress was a newer pillow top that was wonderful sleeping. TV stations were a little snowy but watchable. Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast had waffels, cold ceral, juice, fresh fruit and coffee.

For the price a great room and easy off and on to I-40. A Denny's nearby along with Wal-mart and other shopping.

Room Tip: I checked for bedbugs and found none. Clean room and the top floor you hear no noise of walking.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Margi W

Thank you for your review we get alot of compliments on our new pillow top mattresses and cleanliness. We hope to see you again in the future and take care of all your needs.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

Just needed a place to sleep during our visit to the Grand Canyon. This HoJo needs some help. The place is worn. Our bathroom was dirty and when I informed the front desk, was told it would be cleaned while we were out. Didn't happen. The lightswitch plates were covered with dirt, the cupboard in the mini kitchen is falling apart. Too bad this property isn't living up to the HoJo we know elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ilene M

We are sorry for your experience but we believe you may have stayed at 1 of the other 2 properties in our city as we do not have kitchenettes in our hotel at our location.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

if you want a clean comfortable room, this is a good spot. no frills, but it includes coffee, juice, and waffles in the morning. nice value

• Stayed: April 2012