“Solid choice in Flagstaff: consistently great value”

Howard Johnson Flagstaff I-40 East Lucky Lane
Ranked #49 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed December 24, 2011

This is my go-to place in Flagstaff. I have always been able to get a great rate at this hotel, and rooms have been consistently very clean and comfortable. This place is very convenient to I-40 and old Route 66, and it's easy to get to downtown Flagstaff. We were traveling with a dog this time, and although there's an additional $15 fee for pets, this place was still the best option for the money by far.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 23, 2011

I struggle with this review because this was probably one of the cleanest rooms we've stayed in, that demonstrated the utmost pride in housekeeping. Truly refreshing to see such care in room condition.

However, our phone in the room was not working. I see that as a security hazard. Sure, we are in the age of cell phones, but when I tried to contact the room from off-property, the phone kept ringing. I was extremely concerned and returned immediately. Turns out the phone cord was busted. The front desk's solution to this problem was to switch rooms at night in below-freezing weather with two small children. Not an option. Land-line phones are still important as cell service may be spotty or non-existent.

Otherwise, heard zero train noise and zero interstate noise. Beds were comfy, and the fridge and microwave were great. (except for the jerry-rigged fridge base!)

Wish there was more of a problem-solving attitude here!

Room Tip: LOTS of other options in Flagstaff ~ stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Pros

Cheap clean greAt soft beds good wifi, no bedbugs i checked

Cons

Dated, seeing its age

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 20, 2011

The room was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. There were a lot of channels on TV (including Disney which was a blessing in keeping my 4 year old distracted at times). Loved that we were able to park right by the door to our room making loading and unloading the car super easy. The breakfast was about what you would expect - the waffles are OK and the doughnuts and bagels were stale but overall OK. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2011

DON'T stay here!!!!!!
I found that there was a smell in the room and the room was freezing cold!!!!
The 1st thing I do is turn down the bed... the sheets looked to be several years old and there was yellow stains on the sheets.
The mgr gave me a 2nd room and I turned the bed down to find that there were pubic hairs between the sheets and the blanket...... NEED I SAY MORE!!!!!
We went looking for a room and found a couple other hotels that were about the same caliber.
This hotel is a dive!!!!! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY at ANY PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!
Both rooms had a terrible odor!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2011

This hotel is out of the fray away from noise, comfortable and centraly located. But its the "comfortable" that has made me return. The staff is friendly and the rooms are clean and quiet. Normally to drive from one end of Flagstaff to the other takes about 15 to 20 minutes, but from this hotel to any part of Flagstaff takes about 5 minutes, it defies the laws of space and time. Lol, it's just so central. Its also a quick drive to the slopes.

Room Tip: get a room on the end, 2nd floor, in the back for ultimate quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank dg2623
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Used this hotel for overnight stay on work assignment. Using AAA card best price/value option in the immediate area. Rooms were clean, and everything plugged in worked. Truck and train noise did not bother me, but ask for a room closer to the lobby if you are concerned. Did not try breakfast offerings. Thought the "room safe" surcharge (which can be reversed at checkout) was distasteful--otherwise might have given a higher rating. Will use this location for future similar occasions.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business