“Not nice at all”

Ranked #18 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Whangarei Heads, New Zealand
“Not nice at all”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We booked 1 queen room and had proof on our I pad, we have been travelling for over 2 months and have all bookings on my bookings,there was only 1 booking made. The receptionist produced 2 bookings and insisted we had to pay it got very unpleasant,we gave the key back for second room, she was not at all interested in helping. We sorted it the next morning but it ruined our 2 night stay. The rooms were shabby. The breakfast was not up to scratch, it is served in reception which is small with not enough seating. On our last morning I saw the manager arrive while I was eating breakfast and he spat on the drive right outside the reception, so no I would not recommend this place, my 1st terrible review in 2 months.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Trudy C
FlagSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Flagstaff, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear traveler,

I find it hard to believe that that an issue such as 2 rooms being booked instead of one, would have ruined your 2 night stay. You still stayed with us and ended up not having to pay for the 2nd room; which was a courtesy by our hotel. Generally when there are 2 rooms booked, guests have to pay for them. It is beyond the control of the hotel to manage bookings made from sites other than our own.
As for our rooms, we have excellent rooms. We just spent an exorbitant amount of money to upgrade almost every aspect of our rooms. I do not think its fair to say they were shabby.
As for a manager spitting in the parking lot; its a parking lot, not the hallways inside. If you're not please with the service provided, i would ask that you find alternate lodging next time you come through Flagstaff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Modesto, California
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Reserved (with a credit card) a large family suite here over the phone, quoted $169 to accomodate our group of 7. When we arrived, we were told that we had reserved two rooms each for $149. In other words, nearly twice the price we were quoted. These are regular sized hotel rooms there is nothing suite about them. When confronted the Manager/Owner absolutely refused to do anything regarding a reasonable discount. He obviously figured he had us over a barel, so stuck it to us. The manager said we should have said something before during check in, we did and this got us nowhere. The hotel itself is ok, but nothing about these rooms justifies the rate they are charging, or the refusal of the manager/owner to give us a reasonable discount. This is our first and last visit to a Super 8. We will be contacting their corporate supervisors to complain first thing in the morning.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
1 Thank JeffWelchMod
, Owner at Super 8 Flagstaff, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for your comments about your stay. I read your review and I am sorry your stay with us was not what you expected. I want to address this issue directly, as I was the manager with whom this guest spoke to. My staff is trained to pay attention to detail during the reservation process. Before we end reservation calls, we reconfirm all details regarding a reservation. During the check in process there was no request to have only one of the rooms instead of both. We are more than accommodating and would have easily cancelled the 2nd reservation had we been asked to. Once a room is used, we are unable to sell that room so therefore we would pass along the corresponding charges to our guests; which in this case we did. Zach Polston, General Manager – Super 8 Flagstaff, AZ.

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

bakersfield, CA
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Very old rooms. Carpet smells. Hotel is 2 stories, no elevator. Pet friendly which might explain the carpet odor. Price with AAA discount was 118.00 crazy price for this room and NOT WORTH THE MONEY. Coffee area was very small - free breakfast was a joke.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank DevonDoodle
, General Manager at Super 8 Flagstaff, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for your review of Super 8 Flagstaff, AZ. After reading your review; I want to say I’m sorry you experienced one of our busy mornings with our breakfast. We are currently upgrading our breakfast options to include a better variety for our guest.
As you pointed out, we do allow pets at our hotel. We have assigned pet rooms and I can assure you that if you do not have a pet we would not assign you a pet room; furthermore, guests with pets only stay in designated pet rooms.
Again, I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced and I hope to have the opportunity to one day serve you again! Zach Polston, General Manager – Super 8 Flagstaff, Arizona.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Tried to stay at the Best Western up the street, but all sold-out.
Found this Super 8, and really felt I didn't have much of a choice because I was a tired, weary traveler, and after a long drive, I just wanted to get a hotel room. This Super 8 is GROSSLY overpriced, even with AAA discount. The room is dingy, small, dated, and only has a tiny coffee maker (which was dirty). The bathroom is really small, and the shower was unclean. The hallway smelled like cigarettes (even though we had a non-smoking room). On the flip side, the staff was friendly and polite. Parking was pathetic. I had to park in an unlit alley behind some the dumpy "Village Inn" restaurant that is adjacent to the hotel. By the way, DO NOT waste your money at the "Village Inn" restaurant just because it's close to the hotel. The food is pricey, and the portions are very small. After reading the reviews here on how poor the free continential breakfast is here, I will pass and just go to Starbucks up the street near the mall.
I won't be back- instead I will just keep driving another 30 minutes and find something more reasonably priced- exhaustion aside.

Room Tip: Won't be back- needs some improvements.
2 Thank R S
, General Manager at Super 8 Flagstaff, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for your review of Super 8 Flagstaff, AZ. I would like to address some of the issues you experienced during your stay with us.
I understand that reviews are a big part of the decision process when booking a room. I do, however, think it’s not an accurate assumption to say our breakfast was poor when you weren’t willing to give it a shot. I can assure you that we offer better breakfast options than the Starbucks down the road (although they probably have better coffee.) All hotels in this area have higher room rates during the summer months; however, we offer extremely competitive rates and outstanding service at our property.
I’m not sure what you mean by “The room is dingy, small & dated.” We have recently just undergone an upgrade in all of our rooms that include new bedding, pillows & drapes. We are also replacing all room carpet this year. We have taken comments and concerns from our guests and have been working hard to make the necessary changes that will allow every traveler the quality and comfort they expect.
As for the Village Inn restaurant; we’re not associated with them so I wouldn’t be able to comment one way or the other. I do want to point out that we do have alternate dining choices in close proximity to our hotel.
I hope to have the opportunity to for you to stay with us again and experience all the new changes we’ve made! Zach Polston, General Manager – Super 8 Flagstaff, Arizona.
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The woman at the front desk when we checked in seemed annoyed that we were there bothering her. Room was clean, family suite was perfect for our family of 6. Lobby appeal was a little off putting, could use a remodel. Continental breakfast was not something we could indulge in, per gluten allergens. Coffee and OJ ran out early. Check out was simple and the young man that checked us out was very professional and friendly. I asked him about breakfast elsewhere and he had great alternatives.

*Served it's purpose, a clean and affordable place to sleep!

Room Tip: Served its purpose, just a clean, affordable place for sleeping.
1 Thank Joy D
, General Manager at Super 8 Flagstaff, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Traveler, Thank you for letting us know where it is that we can improve. I have met with my entire staff and explained the necessity for excellent customer service. I apologize that you felt the desk staff was lacking in this area. I am, however, pleased to hear that our morning staff was able to assist you in finding an alternate place for breakfast. I also wanted to let you know that Super 8 is rolling out an entire new breakfast menu so that travelers like yourself will be able to indulge in our new gluten free breakfast items. I hope that your next stay at super 8, whether at Super 8 in Flagstaff Arizona or any other Super 8, is a memorable one. Zach Polston - General Manager Super 8 Flagstaff, Arizona
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Drove into Flagstaff after being on the road for over 18 hours, saw the Super 8 and thought how bad can it be, I am so tired I could sleep on a hard board. Much to my surprise, this is without a doubt the best Super 8 I have ever been in. The bed was really comfortable and the room spacious and clean and nicely appointed. Staff really nice and gave me a room that was perfect for my dogs. Quick check in and really safe area to walk my dogs. Busy breakfast and maids need to learn how to put the sheets on correctly, other than that, a perfect large room and a good stop for a tired .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Super 8 Flagstaff, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear traveler, I thank you for you review and i'm pleased to hear that we have the best Super 8 you've stayed in. We strive to have clean, comfortable rooms for all of our guests. The fact that you were pleasantly surprised lets me know we're doing our job right. As for the maid staff; I have taken the time to re-train each of them so that there wont be any further issues with the sheets not fitting properly. Thank you again. Zach Polston - General Manager Super 8 Flagstaff, Arizona.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Great breakfast if not very crowded but it's to be expected for free. Quiet and the train just across the street never bothered us. Yes we heard it as our window faced it directly, but it never woke us up or anything.

Just far away from everything to give some peace and quiet. We'll be back next year!

Room Tip: We were in 223 and it was great!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
FlagSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Flagstaff, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
I am pleased that you had a wonder experience here at out hotel. We look forward to seeing you again next year.
Travelers also viewed these Flagstaff hotels
Econo Lodge Flagstaff University
#11 of 64 in Flagstaff
GreenTree Inn Flagstaff
GreenTree Inn Flagstaff
#22 of 64 in Flagstaff

Been to Super 8 Flagstaff? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Super 8 Flagstaff

Property: Super 8 Flagstaff
Address: 3725 Kasper Ave, Flagstaff, AZ 86004-2310
Location: United States > Arizona > Flagstaff
Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Suites Wheelchair access
#12 Business Hotel in Flagstaff
Hotel Class:2 star — Super 8 Flagstaff 2*
For authentic value, dependable comfort and friendly hospitality in the heart of Grand Canyon country, stay at our 100% smoke-free Super 8 Flagstaff hotel. With a great location off I-40 and Highway 89, our AAA-approved Flagstaff hotel is only minutes from Historic Route 66, The Marketplace at Flagstaff Mall, and the breathtaking beauty and majesty of Mount Elden. When seeking pet-friendly hotels in Flagstaff, rest assured that we are also within easy reach of several restaurants, historic Downtown Flagstaff and Northern Arizona University.

Enjoy a restful sleep in our well-appointed guest rooms, each of which features plush bedding, free WiFi, and coffee maker, or upgrade to one of our several suites if you need more space. Family suites feature bunk beds, microwave and mini-fridge, and other suites offer sofa sleepers and wonderful mountain views. Fuel up each morning with our free SuperStart Breakfast.

Take a day trip to the jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring Grand Canyon National Park, and upon your return, relax with an evening at nearby Flagstaff Symphony.Savor a leisurely stroll along scenic Lower Lake Mary, or visit Beasley Art Gallery for a taste of American culture and art. You can also visit Sedona, Grand Canyon Railway, Historic Downtown Flagstaff, and Sunset Crater.

From mouth-watering barbecue to zesty international fare and cheap and cheerful fast food for those on the run, there are several dining options within minutes of our Flagstaff hotel. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your Super 8 Flagstaff reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Super Eight Flagstaff