“Where do I start?”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff
Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed February 21, 2014

So it started by booking and paying for a room on this website(not a third party) 10 days before my stay date. I arrived at Double Tree Flagstaff, AZ for check-in at 4:00 p.m. where I gave the clerk my name and he recognized my reservation although he informed me that there were "no rooms available". I had to ask "how with pre-paid reservations is my room not available?" to which he really had no reply other than some mumbling that there was a huge group that would be returning to the hotel and taking half the building. He asked if I could wait a few minutes so he could try to figure out what was going on. He walked away so I stepped aside and watched the other clerks continue to check in atleast 8 people behind me. After 20-30 minutes he offered me a room he claimed they save for last booking as it "is a very noisy room located at the ice/vending machines". UHG! I told him absolutely not and after bickering for an hour they finally had a room ready for me. On the good side they comped my a few drinks and breakfast "for my troubles". The room was great, the bed was amazing, but that is where that ends. The a/c, heater blower sounded like a jet powering up for take off and there was about a 15 minute wait standing cold and naked in the shower for luke warm at best water. NOW FOR THE FINALE! I get home check my account and see they had billed me for the room again when I checked in! So now I am awaiting my "standard 5-10 days" that it takes to process my refund! TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE TO SAY THE LEAST !

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian S
granite_hotelmgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

(submitted for Michael Rock, General Manager)

Please accept my sincere apologies about your recent visit to our hotel. I would like to discuss these service failures with you in more detail to get additional information and to make sure that this has been properly resolved to your satisfaction. We take our guest feedback seriously.. and take action immediately. I apologize that we did not resolve the concerns while you were still on property. I have reviewed these comments with my tam and will ensure that our team members are properly trained and efficient with our computer systems. In regards to the comments about the A/C unit, I have asked my engineering team to check the rooms and ensure they are properly working. I would like to get the room number, so that we can check this specific room.

Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to address your concerns through your online feedback.

Michael Rock
DoubleTree by Hilton Flagstaff

Write a ReviewReviews (1,622)

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We recently stayed at this DoubleTree. It was a very pleasant experience for my family and myself. We had had a very busy weekend and this Hotel was quiet and peaceful and a nice break to our travels.

1  Thank Lesley B
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at our new hotel!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

The renovation is maybe 95% complete, and the rooms are nice enough, but the rooms facing hostoric route 66 (much of the hotel) and the railroad tracks beyond get a steady dose of sirens and the loud sounds of 5-mile long trains on two tracks about 1/2 mile away. It was like being next to an airport only this was the railroad tracks.

The $6 beer was served barely cool, as the only ice in the beer bins in the temporary bar had melted.

The suite we paid for does not have a door between the outer room and the bedroom, so no privacy there. Not good.

Staff very friendly, but would not recommend this location due to the noise primarily.

Room Tip: Ask for the side away from the railroad tracks and route 66
1  Thank highvolt519
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

We apologize that you did not fully enjoy your stay. Though we can't control the train schedule, we do understand some guests are extra-sensitive to to the noise of the trains. We do offer a back building farther away from Route 66 and the train tracks and are happy to accommodate those location requests whenever possible. We will address your concern of the temperature of the beverages from the bar to ensure it is addressed promptly.
We do hope that when your travels bring you back to Flagstaff, you will give us another opportunity to serve you here a the new DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I loved the hotel.They gave us a warm cookie an it was delightful. The rooms look just like the pictures. rooms were very clean thanks to Cheryl and najomi. Those house maids were also very friendly and comforting.They should get a raise for how great of a job they do! They get my best rating. On the other hand...the Sakura resteraunt was very very dissapointing! They were late to seat us with our reservations. They took an hour to get us any drinks and a half to get us soup even and the food wasn't good at all. They are all very mismanaged and recommend not to go there even with your coupons you might get thru the hotel. Over all it was very nice. Just the resteraunt was miserable.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Eliseanderson
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate the candid feedback of our new hotel. We've noted the opportunities for improvement in our restaurant and will work diligently with our new Food and Beverage Manager to ensure our operations in the restaurant meet/exceed those in our hotel.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Overall the facilities and personnel are very accommodating and inviting, however, one must be aware that the hotel still isn't finished or 100 % operable so it won't be a normal stay. Once everything is finished , it will definitely be one of the top hotels to stay at in Flagstaff.

1  Thank David S
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

We appreciate your feedback and are looking forward to finalizing the final lobby/bar renovations in the coming weeks. All other renovations and upgrades have been completed!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My wife and I spent two nights here for our anniversary weekend. The hotel is in transition from Woodlands to Double Tree. Minor remodeling was going on in the lobby during our stay. No big deal. The lady who checked us in said the rooms had recently been remodeled. The room was nice, clean. I would stay here again. There are several comparable hotels in the Flagstaff area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for posting your review and for choosing the new DoubleTree by Hilton Flagstaff to celebrate your anniversary weekend.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We usually stay in this hotel every January for four or five days while we ski the snowbowl but this year only stayed one night as they couldn't offer the parlour suite on the ski package. At the time I was annoyed about this but having subsequently spent one night there, I realise we dodged the bullet!

The lady who checked us in was friendly and explained that she had put us on the fourth floor as the third floor was taken up by a wedding party; how considerate we thought. On arrival in the room we couldn't understand what the loud continuous roar was, very adeptly described by a previous reviewer as an aircraft engine; the room was by the vending machines and elevators and the noise was intolerable. My husband called down and front desk immediately agreed to move us and even offered to come up with new keys, this was a nice touch but we had to ask ourselves how could the hotel not be aware how noisy these rooms were?

The next room was quieter except for an intermittent blast of noise from the heating system that woke us up throughout the night. The room had been renovated and at first glance was much improved from the old rooms. We had arrived late, so after a quick refresh hurried down to the temporary bar for a pre dinner drink.

The hotel is undergoing renovations which meant the bar is closed and relocated to a function room off the lobby. The set-up is pretty lifeless but we had a good chat with Loren and he made up for the surroundings.

After a dinner out we returned to the room ready for bed, it was then that I discovered the counterpane had a very dubious crusty stain on it, trying not to think too hard about its origin I discarded it and we settled down to sleep. As previously mentioned this was significantly hindered by the incredibly noisy heating system, which in five previous stays had never caused us an issue.

We had a so-so breakfast in the restaurant and prepared to leave.

On check out I mentioned the stain to Front Desk and they said they'd mention it to housekeeping.

I'm hoping that the issues we experienced were due to the renovations and the transition to the Doubletree brand.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Please accept our sincere apologies for our service failures on your recent visit. We are in the final stages of completing our renovations and our conversion to DoubleTree by Hilton and during your stay we were renovating the room you had requested. We would like to apologize that this was not communicated with you prior to your arrival. I have discussed the other items mentioned in your review with our Executive Housekeeper and our Chief Engineer. Though we were under renovations during your recent visit, we must meet the expectations of our guests when they choose to stay at our hotel. I apologize that we failed to meet these expectations and I am confident that on your next visit, we will be able to meet and exceed your expectations.

Michael Rock

Note: The Hotel is in the process of contacting this guest to get additional information and to resolve to their satisfaction.