“First Impression OK, Last Impression Not”

Quality Inn I-40 & I-17
Ranked #46 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Scottsdale, Arizona
“First Impression OK, Last Impression Not”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I didn't expect much here since just needed a less expensive room for one night. If you are arriving by car from the north via the main road through town, it's tricky to find the correct turn for the hotel. Turn in south of the sign, otherwise you end up in a church campus. Follow an uphill lane to the hotel. The property is acceptable and reception very pleasant. Room was spacious, beds too firm and very small pillows. Small bathroom, very small sink area. Quiet room accept for late night arrivals; doors slam in the hallway. No clothes closet, only a standing cabinet with hangars, iron, etc. I stayed on a weekend and the morning breakfast area was extremely crowded; no seating since breakfast area uses the sofas and side chairs in the lobby. That was taken over by one group, so people took breakfast back to their rooms. Organization of the breakfast selections was odd and caused people to go back & forth between food stations to find what they needed. At first the breakfast items looked good: the usual scrambled eggs, sausage, pastries, but then it hit me --- the SMELL. Something was wrong with the eggs and sausage. Since I was already in my room I just threw away everything. Stay with just the pastries and coffee. The location is OK, but I'm not likely to stay at this Quality Inn again. Next time will try the one on Lucky Lane.

Room Tip: East-facing rooms on the south wing are likely the quietest. If you don't mind one flight of sta...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

As we approached the hotel at night it seemed to be an odd layout, but we were booked and ready for bed. The lobby had a musty smell, but the front desk staff was very friendly and even had fresh baked banana bread awaiting our arrival. A nice touch for sure. As we entered the hotel nearer to our room, I was a little nervous as the carpets were water stained and very worn. When we got to our room, we were pleasantly surprised as the carpets, beds and bathrooms had been newly renovated (they even have the boxes of the newly shipped in pictures still in the lobby). This hotel was clean and had an amazing breakfast with super yummy sausages! Don't let the old dated outsides fool you, this hotel is great!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Pitcherfam
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We, a family of four from Germany, spent two weeks in Arizona in late spring 2012. We stayed at this Quality Inn right before a luxury resort in Scottsdale and, shockingly, felt more welcome and accommodated here - of course not in terms of the amenities offered, but then again we paid only a fraction of what we had to pay at the other place. Here, for what we paid (unfortunately I forgot what it was exactly, but we had a coupon from one of those coupon magazines) we received more value, and everyone we met was very friendly and helpful. The guy at check-in provided us with a lot of walking maps (we wanted to walk around the university campus and on to the small downtown area) and instructions on a laundry service nearby. We were able to park right in front of our room (at the resort, we had to pay for parking in the heat and walk forever to reach the lobby anyway), breakfast was totally adequate for us and there was plenty of it and the atmosphere was nice and relaxed (while at the other place breakfast cost a fortune and once when we did have it, we were constantly asked how we were doing by several waiters and others would watch exactly what you were taking from the buffet and they had elevator music playing - just not my idea of an enjoyable BF), I was able to use their computer in the lobby several times (of course no free internet at the other place), and most of all, we did not have any cleanliness issues in our room - it was not fancy at all, but totally adequate and as expected in all regards. Again, staff was much friendlier than at the luxury resort (or at least the friendliness felt "more genuine"), and I always keep the price in mind that I paid when I review a hotel.
I saw a couple of negative recent reviews in English posted here, so decided on a whim to write one myself, and in English, even though our stay here was quite a while ago. Hope it's helpful anyway.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Atlanta071
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

This quality Inn is a little north of Interstate 40 and very close to Northern Arizona University. Plenty of restaurants and gas stations near by. Fairly standard motel rooms but this location has a very good breakfast included which offers scrambled eggs, sausage, and all the other standard motel morning offerings. That is what makes this one a step above.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pixer1
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

My family ended up here in an emergency after our car caught fire on the way up for camping. We stopped here because it was the first hotel on the right off the freeway. We felt very lucky they could accommodate us, as I had two young children with me. They said they are often the last to fill up because they are up on a hill (which is something to keep in mind if you are hauling trailers).

The place was very clean and the beds were nice and the staff was friendly. It has one of the better breakfasts, with scrambled eggs and sausage, fruit, yogurt, cereal, danishes, coffee, and juice. The breakfast room has a lovely view. While my husband sorted out the car, I took the kids for a walk, and there was a great foresty park nearby that kept them happy while we waited. The staff did not mind us coming back in for juice and water and to use the restrooms.

This is not a fancy place by any means, but if you just need to hole up in Flagstaff for a night this does the trick very well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kclightman
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Welcome to Choice where your stay is always a crapshoot. As Choice likes to say when you call them to complain, "all of our properties are independently owned & operated...". That's their way of saying "sorry, take it up with the property owner". This property is really from the Route 66 era with NO updates. The wonderful "tube" tv, the filthy green bedspreads, the filthy green carpet, the unbelievably slow internet, and the breakfast...go to Denny's, don't take a chance. When I checked in they were serving what looked like pumpkin bread on the front desk counter. I was surprised somebody made pumpkin bread and put it out for the guests. That's a food borne lawsuit waiting to happen. The Quality Inn on Lucky Lane is $20 cheaper and much better. Just thought I'd check out this Q, what a bad decision. Don't stay here, your rest is not worth the pain.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank dcjw700

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Piketon, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

From the outside, this place doesn't look so bad. We were tired and everything was filling up fast. But, the first thing you will notice is that the hallways really smell. Maybe it's mildew, dirty bodies, or food...I'm not sure. The rooms don't smell as bad, but the carpet is worn and obviously not cleaned properly. I looked out the window, and there is a rotten apple core and some other trash. My sister pulled back the comforter and found several pubic hairs. She refused to sleep in the bed, so we had to share mine. I went in to take a shower and found pubic hairs in the shower! My sister didn't even take a shower, but I decided to take a quick one with my flip flops on (that was a first). So then my sister finds a hair on my blanket, and we end up just sleeping without a blanket. This is the worst hotel I believe I have ever stayed in. I hope someone from Quality Inn reads this and fixes their many problems. This is disrespectful to the guests paying to stay in your hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family