“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Phoenix, Arizona
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I stayed this weekend at the Motel, I was just looking for a place to sleep on my way to Grand Canyon. The reviews were so so, but I wasn't looking for great service, more for cheap rate. We arrived at the Motel, the staff was very friendly and helpful, after check in, we went to the room. What a surprise, newly renovated in a modern and contemporary style, fresh colors, hardwood floor and most important, very clean. We had a smoker room and couldn't smell previous smoker at all. In the next morning, I needed help to find a car shop, to get my tire fixed and the staff was again, very helpful and friendly. Keep in mind this is a motel and they are usually not located in a scenic view, quite area, but I would absolutely recommend to stay.

Room Tip: Newly renovated rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Death Valley National Park, California
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is your typical motel 6. Small room, small bed. We prefer a queen bed or larger, seems most motel 6 only have full size. We can live with that. The room was clean, with no odor. The bath was clean, there was a coffee maker. We prefer a fridge and micro, which they don't offer, but a cooler works for keeping your food and beverages cold. The one exception to clean was the vent in the vanity area. It was a little dusty, which a bit of toilet tissue took care of. You do get a good bit of train noise if you are on the back side of this motel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The first thing you have to remember when you stay at a Motel 6 is that you are not paying for a four star hotel. This chain is wonderful when you want somewhere to sleep that is in a handy location and where you can get basic accommodation for a modest price.

Reception staff were really welcoming and friendly, and check-in and pout was very straightforward. The room is relatively basic, but exactly what you expect and what you pay for. It was comforter ball, with clean linen, and there was an adequate supply of clean towels. There is ample car parking outside. Pic like the fact that you pay a small fee if you wish to use the Wi-Fi, meaning that those customers not using it are not subsidising those that are.

You only criticism I would levy is that the carpet hadn't been adequately vacuumed.

I decided to stay an extra night, and just went to the desk in the morning and told them, paid my extra charge, and my key card was updated. The process took less than two minutes.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Robin K
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I am a big fan of Motel 6 and think they are great on a budget. My mom and I had booked two nights in Flagstaff for a vacation (moving from west coast to east coast), sadly our car got torn up by Arizona road damage and we had to extend our reservation for a week. We loved Flagstaff and the motel was fine until they started doing renovation work. We mentioned that we were concerned about no water and noise and the clerk cursed me out and shouted at my mother. We told him we would call corporate and went up to our room and apologized to guest services. They were extremely helpful and arranged to have us move to another hotel...I will not go into the insanity of the next twenty-four hours, but we were derided, belittled, treated like scum and the staff at the Butler Avenue location and Woodlands location were psychotic and I do not say that lightly. Motel 6 corporate was kind enough, but I would never stay there again and I warn all against staying in a hotel with such hostile employees. Dare you complain about their customer service they do not apologize they antagonize. Stayed at Hampton Inn the next night - and got the heck out of Flagstaff...you just do not treat customers like that.

Room Tip: Rooms are decent, but customer service is horrible. They had construction the entire time we were t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ynpgal77

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Staying at a Motel 6 is a utilitarian experience, you want a clean bed and a shower and don't expect extras. This Motel 6 was clearly pushing the lower end of things. It looked like they had installed some of the modern Ikea style fixtures that are making Motel 6 a good budget option. The bits they left were rather nasty. The door was very hard to shut properly. Icky carpet and very thin and stained sheets. The bed covers were also badly stained. The towels looked to be at the extreme end of their life cycle. The beds were lumpy and crinkly. The wifi was not free and there were not enough outlets for charging our devices. The outlets available were in very inconvenient places. The office staff were very kind, however, and let us use a microwave in the staff break room. This facility needs some changes to become a comfortable, albeit, spartan place to stay. We may not be expecting frills, but we do not want to pay to be uncomfortable. We could sleep in the car for that.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Kim E
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I left Las Vegas after work and planned on staying the night in Flagstaff, as I made a reservation knowing I would more than likely be exhausted. I checked in and went to my room that was freezing and in an area near the back of the property. I sit down for a few minutes to unwind and watch t.v. I pulled down the covers to see that the sheets are gray, with hairs on it, and rumpled. I take a look at the pillows and there is a small amount of a blood stain on one of the pillow cases, also with hair stuck in the fabric. I called and asked for another room, they put me in a new one, just as equally run down. At that point I called to various other hotels/motels only to find that places like Holiday Inn Express wanted $99 for a single night stay. So I sucked it up, turned up the heat, went to the bathroom and was going to grab some towels to lay over the covers because the sheets, again were discolored and appeared dirty...only to find the tub extremely dirty and and the bottom of the tub (that had nonslip coating) grayish/black. It was at point I took out my camera and started taking pics.The front desk clerks were apologetic, and the lady I checked out with in the am greeted me with "SO you're the one." then offered an apology as she is the one who handles the cleaning.

I understand the whole "you get what you pay for." but this was ridiculous.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SunnyDigital
Burbank, California
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night on a trip to the middle of the country. It is located in a wonderful location. Close to many restaurants, a WalMart, and pretty much anything else you could want. As for the hotel itself. The rooms were clean but by no means updated. The TV in our room wasn't working so we called downstairs and their "handyman" repair guy had gone home for the night, so they moved us to another room. And the room they moved us to was upgraded. It had a much better shower, as well as a small refrigerator and microwave. Plus the tv worked. The beds were adequate. We slept fine. The bedding was clean. We traveled with dogs and there is more than adequate walking and "potty" space. There were many people in the hotel with animals and luckily everyone seemed to pick up after their animals. Anyway, not much more to say. For a 1 nighted the location can't be beaten and the staff was helpful when something didn't work. I did appreciate that not only did they get us another room, they literally helped us move our belongings to another room.

Room Tip: If you have pets a room that looks onto the pool is the best, most spacious and easiest place to wal...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family