“horrible night's sleep”

Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed September 20, 2007

After driving 8 hours all I wanted was a good night's sleep. Not here. A freight train would pass by every 20 minutes all night and blow their whistle and nearly knock me out of my bed. Mold in the showers. I cannot recommend this motel to anyone, sorry.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Randyhunt

Reviewed September 14, 2007

We stayed there because there was no room at the two hotels we wanted. It was OK. The rooms were fine, the pool good, the hot tub very nice. The breakfast was not much to write home about, it had the basics. No microwave in the breakfast area, which was a major hassle as I like to warm the milk for the cereal and coffee. I had to shuttle between the room and the breakfast area with a jug of milk.
Staff very nice.

If you leave the fan on, it muffles the noise of the trains, which no hotels in Flagstaff seems to be able to obliterate totally. Try to get a room that does not face the railroad, so at least you don't get the full noise of the trains.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2007

This is a good hotel for staying before going to grand canyon. rooms are clean and confortable they have mini fridges and microwaves.

Stayed: July 2007
6  Thank Silverio33
Reviewed May 10, 2007

I usually have good experiences in Holiday Inn Express locations, and I especially appreciate the new, fresh linens the chain has introduced. But the Flagstaff location goes above and beyond the typical highway-exit Express. The location near the shopping district of Flagstaff is excellent, and the amenities -- such as a large lobby, two e-mail terminals, etc. -- make this hotel really stand out. It just feels more upscale than the usual Express location.

Another nice touch: When I was getting settled in my room, someone from the front desk called to ask if everything was to my satisfaction. That's a first for me in a mid-range hotel! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
8  Thank ashley627
Reviewed May 9, 2007

Situated on the outskirts of Flagstaff, the hotel was a pleasant experience for me. Being a Priority Club member I received an upgraded 'themed' room with complimentary water & snacks, huge bed, large screen TV and nice size bathroom with toiletries.

Holiday Inn Express, so it's free breakfast, enough to choose from I thought, including hot eggs. There's Coffee always available in the lobby, as well as a Coffeemaker in your room. The Lobby level also has a hire car desk, 2 free internet terminals, indoor/outdoor pool (screen from outside to inside) and small fitness room.

The passing train horns are mildly irritating, and continue overnight, but a nice touch by the hotel is recognition of this with a note explaining the requirement to sound horns at all times, along with a pair of earplugs!

I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 night stay, with or without a car it's a good place to stay, as many tours offer pick up at the hotel, and downtown Flagstaff is around a 20min walk.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
7  Thank chris036
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We stayed here for two nights April 15 & 16. We stayed at the HI Express near the Grand Canyon so we decided to give this one a try. We were driving to Sedona and this was a good choice. We were traveling with my two teenage boys plus my sister and brother in law. We got two rooms side by side on the 2nd floor. When we checked in I asked for a room in the back as this hotel overlooked the interstate. The front desk clerk told me I didn't want to do that because I would hear trains all night. She gave us a room in the front. I didn't hear highway noise which surprised me considering tractor trailors drive by all night. I did hear some trains and I am a light sleeper but it didn't bother me. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was a little soft for me. There were also four pillows on each bed. Two soft and two firm. To me they seemed the same. The bathroom was a little small but that was okay. When we checked in the hotel pool heater was broken. The kids and men used the outdoor jacuzzi. They said it was nice. By the second night the pool was again closed for some reason beside the heater. It wasn't a problem as it was about 50 outside. Seeing the pool is half inside and half outside it was probably to cold to use it anyway. We went to eat at a few restaurants nearby one being a Cracker Barrel. There is also a Denny's and a few other family restaurants in the area. Each morning a USA Today was hung on your door knob. You could also get the local AZ paper down near the breakfast room. Speaking of breakfast. It was delicious. There were plenty of choices including cereal, bagels, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit and plenty of juices, coffee, tea & hot chocolate. A great way to start the day. They did a great job keeping the area clean and well stocked. Despite what was said about the trains I would stay here again if I am ever in Flagstaff. There are two computers in the lobby. Not a problem getting time to use them. Front desk staff was very friendly. Great place to stay for value, cleanliness, and the free breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank msar1076
Reviewed April 11, 2007

Hotel was clean and offers the basic services with fitness room with two treadmills and two bikes, indoor/outdoor pool and an outdoor jacuzzi. We had a room with two doubles and it was very small. We definitely felt crowded and glad we were only staying two nights. This is an older hotel that has been refurbished. Based on our experience, newer HIE's have spacious rooms. On the plus side, the hotel does have the nice features of other HIE's - nice linens on the beds and in the bathroom, great showerhead, free breakfast and drinkable coffee in the room. Only two elevators (we were on the 5th floor) for the whole hotel which means sharing it with all the hundreds of other guests and the maids (this must drive them crazy but they were all very courteous and pleasant). Earplugs are available at the front desk if the train noise (this is Flagstaff!) bothers you but we had no problem sleeping through it. If we were to return to Flagstaff I would search out other, newer hotels that might offer more space in the room and better elevator service.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family