“The best in the worst of times”

Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Orem, Utah
“The best in the worst of times”
Reviewed February 16, 2010

As I (along with many others) was stranded in Flagstaff during this winters unusual storms, stayed in the Holiday Inn Express. I found the personel to be very friendly and efficient as they dealt with many unhappy people. They kept us informed as to the highway conditions and the maintenance staff work hard to keep the parking lot - and our cars - from being snowed in. My car was uncovered and a walkway to the doors was dug at least twice a day during my stay. The room was clean and housekeeping was very accomodating to needs.

Thank you Holiday Inn Express for making my forced stay and enjoyable stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank MickyK09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
grand blanc Michigan
Reviewed January 13, 2010

I stayed one Saturday evening with my partner just to get away and relax but come Monday morning I was charged nearly $800 for my stay. The hotel room was $139.36, I was charged a $250 fee for smoking in the which I did not and the only proof that was provided to me was that the housekeep smell smoke and they were able to charge me $250. Then they placed a $441.86 hold on my account which it took me calling back and forth from my bank to the hotel a few times to get this removed which did not happen until Tuesday morning. There was also a $164.86 charge pending come Tuesday morning for incidentals. My thoughts were what if I was out of town and needed access to my money that was put on hold for gas and things. This trip which was to be relaxing turned out to be more stressful that it was worth. Also the hotel manager was not very helpful in resolving this issue for me.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank angelina0796
Pune, India
Reviewed December 19, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for one night. We had read about the railroad passing close by and being a nuisance in terms of noise. The hotel had provided ear buds in the room as a precaution. But we did not have any problem at all.
The reception staff were efficient and very friendly. The breakfast was well organized, it was a good meal.
There were snacks and beverages available in the evening.
The rooms were perfectly in order, we did not have any issues at all.

All in all, we had a comfortable and excellent stay.

Just by the way, there is a Denny's within easy walking distance.
The hotel is quite close, about 30 miles, to the Meteor Crater and even closer to Walnut Canyon National Park.

• Liked — Very friendly reception staff, beverages and quick snacks round-the-clock
  • Disliked — Nothing particular
  • Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank constro

.7 Star of 1 for Cleanliness
1 Star of 1 for Comfort
.4 Stars of 1 for Business-ready room environment
.8 Star of 1 for free breakfast bar

I stay here two or more times per year. It is satisfactory. When you're in the lobby area, the art tells you are in the Flagstaff/Grand Canyon Area. That will soon change as the iconic Grand Canyon image behind the front desk is replaced by a wonderful new madeover Holiday Inn logo sign. Bad thinking IHG and your franchisee. At least I know where I am when I'm in the lobby - of some of your hotels. In rooms the artwork usually says I could be anywhere.

This hotel was built before the world could say WWW. My room on this date is ill-equipped for the information age and Road Warrior business. Not enough outlets. The unsecured wireless internet service works well.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Warren
Reviewed November 13, 2009

So that's only fair to disclose. Knowing Flag well, I wanted a spot where I could watch trains from the room but not be right on top of the tracks on the 66 corridor which is a little close even for me. This was just the right distance away. I thought it was right on top of the one crossing, its actually not, so it wasn't as noisy as I expected but the train viewing from the 4th and 5th floors on the north side is pretty good.

Definitely 'better than average' for the usual Flagstaff motel, probably better desk and breakfast service that the typical HIX, room average. Access to I-40 is great but yeah, you're a good mile from the historic downtown.

Just be aware that the 'noisy' side of the building is the even rooms on the north side. They do everything in their power to let people know about the train traffic. I had to deliberately ASK for the north side to get it, and even then they moved it over anyway, so unless they are really busy they're going to do their darndest to keep you back. As for me, I enjoy it - to a point - but to sleep I simply turned the heater fan up to generate some white noise and it didn't bother me at all. I've had places (Glendale, AZ) that were actually much, much worse for train noise so it can get to even the likes of me. I noticed that some places like the old Howard Johnson on 66 really are right beside the tracks and right on the crossing so that must be real fun.

Only negative really was the elevator, it decided to get quirky and they immediately took it out of service. Didn't get stuck, it just wouldn't go anywhere. 3 minutes later they were on it.

Staff here was really good, I was impressed and HIX is pretty much my first choice now.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We stayed in the Flagstaff Holiday Inn Express for one night. Upon check-in, we were greeted by friendly staff who were very willing to give us directions to whatever we needed. We were given our room (away from elevators, as requested). When we entered our room, we were pleased to see a modern, clean room with comfy beds. On the desk/table was a history of the Flagstaff area and of the train service through Flagstaff. There were 4 pairs of earplugs. We wondered what we were in for, but we all woke in the morning and commented on how peaceful the hotel was... and NO TRAIN NOISE. Don't let that scare you off from this hotel. We did stay in room 207, on the front of the building, so that may make the difference. There are lots of other hotels along this same road, too.

This hotel has an indoor/outdoor pool that stays open to 11pm, so if you have kiddo's, like we do, you'll appreciate that. The free breakfast was nice. They have several flat screens, board games, a fireplace in the same tastefully-decorated room for after-breakfast activities.

We would recommend this hotel and we would gladly stay there again!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
California
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Very disappointed in this Holiday Inn. Had no idea we were going to hear trains all night long, every 15 minutes, and horns blaring. Also, the rooms are old and the bed was very uncomfortable. They had a plastic covering on the mattress under the sheets...yuk! You wouldn't think it would be like that because when you enter into the lobby, it is updated, and quaint. My husband and I had traveled many hours that day, and if we had not been so exhausted, we would have packed our bags at midnight, and went to another hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple