“Great hotel for a stopover”

Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed December 19, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for one night. We had read about the railroad passing close by and being a nuisance in terms of noise. The hotel had provided ear buds in the room as a precaution. But we did not have any problem at all.
The reception staff were efficient and very friendly. The breakfast was well organized, it was a good meal.
There were snacks and beverages available in the evening.
The rooms were perfectly in order, we did not have any issues at all.

All in all, we had a comfortable and excellent stay.

Just by the way, there is a Denny's within easy walking distance.
The hotel is quite close, about 30 miles, to the Meteor Crater and even closer to Walnut Canyon National Park.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank constro

.7 Star of 1 for Cleanliness
1 Star of 1 for Comfort
.4 Stars of 1 for Business-ready room environment
.8 Star of 1 for free breakfast bar

I stay here two or more times per year. It is satisfactory. When you're in the lobby area, the art tells you are in the Flagstaff/Grand Canyon Area. That will soon change as the iconic Grand Canyon image behind the front desk is replaced by a wonderful new madeover Holiday Inn logo sign. Bad thinking IHG and your franchisee. At least I know where I am when I'm in the lobby - of some of your hotels. In rooms the artwork usually says I could be anywhere.

This hotel was built before the world could say WWW. My room on this date is ill-equipped for the information age and Road Warrior business. Not enough outlets. The unsecured wireless internet service works well.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2009

So that's only fair to disclose. Knowing Flag well, I wanted a spot where I could watch trains from the room but not be right on top of the tracks on the 66 corridor which is a little close even for me. This was just the right distance away. I thought it was right on top of the one crossing, its actually not, so it wasn't as noisy as I expected but the train viewing from the 4th and 5th floors on the north side is pretty good.

Definitely 'better than average' for the usual Flagstaff motel, probably better desk and breakfast service that the typical HIX, room average. Access to I-40 is great but yeah, you're a good mile from the historic downtown.

Just be aware that the 'noisy' side of the building is the even rooms on the north side. They do everything in their power to let people know about the train traffic. I had to deliberately ASK for the north side to get it, and even then they moved it over anyway, so unless they are really busy they're going to do their darndest to keep you back. As for me, I enjoy it - to a point - but to sleep I simply turned the heater fan up to generate some white noise and it didn't bother me at all. I've had places (Glendale, AZ) that were actually much, much worse for train noise so it can get to even the likes of me. I noticed that some places like the old Howard Johnson on 66 really are right beside the tracks and right on the crossing so that must be real fun.

Only negative really was the elevator, it decided to get quirky and they immediately took it out of service. Didn't get stuck, it just wouldn't go anywhere. 3 minutes later they were on it.

Staff here was really good, I was impressed and HIX is pretty much my first choice now.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We stayed in the Flagstaff Holiday Inn Express for one night. Upon check-in, we were greeted by friendly staff who were very willing to give us directions to whatever we needed. We were given our room (away from elevators, as requested). When we entered our room, we were pleased to see a modern, clean room with comfy beds. On the desk/table was a history of the Flagstaff area and of the train service through Flagstaff. There were 4 pairs of earplugs. We wondered what we were in for, but we all woke in the morning and commented on how peaceful the hotel was... and NO TRAIN NOISE. Don't let that scare you off from this hotel. We did stay in room 207, on the front of the building, so that may make the difference. There are lots of other hotels along this same road, too.

This hotel has an indoor/outdoor pool that stays open to 11pm, so if you have kiddo's, like we do, you'll appreciate that. The free breakfast was nice. They have several flat screens, board games, a fireplace in the same tastefully-decorated room for after-breakfast activities.

We would recommend this hotel and we would gladly stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Very disappointed in this Holiday Inn. Had no idea we were going to hear trains all night long, every 15 minutes, and horns blaring. Also, the rooms are old and the bed was very uncomfortable. They had a plastic covering on the mattress under the sheets...yuk! You wouldn't think it would be like that because when you enter into the lobby, it is updated, and quaint. My husband and I had traveled many hours that day, and if we had not been so exhausted, we would have packed our bags at midnight, and went to another hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sweetp63
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We were on a 10 day Motorcycle trip and this was just a 1 night stay on our way home. The Hotel is older but renovated nicely. Desk staff was very friendly and since we are "Gold" members she said she upgraded us to a nice room on the quiet side of the Hotel. She said there was a train that went by during the night. Referred us to the best pizza for carry outs, "Mr. George's" After being on the bike all week, just too tired to go anywhere and this place delivered hot and quick pizza.
One problem is that it had a large number of Tour Buses because it is so close to the Sourh Rim of the Grand Canyon. They handled it quite nicely by opening other meeting rooms to accomodate the people. The stafff worked hard at keeping everything filled. If only the "tour" people had not been so rude, it would have gone smoothly. The staff worked really hard trying to please everyone. I would suggest eating breakfast a little later for the buses left by 7:00 to avoid the crowds

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2009

Flagstaff seems to be filled with marginal and substandard hotels. We expected the same with this hotel. Not so here! This property was a pleasant surprise and very much in line with the quality we have come to expect at a HI Express. Previous reviewers mentioned problems with train noise but we experienced none of this. Our room # 429 faced the front parking lot and enjoyed peaceful nights throughout our weekend stay. The breakfast bar was fresh, plentiful and well-stocked by attentive staff. Hotel location was perfect for our needs just slightly outside the main attraction of downtown area. A Denny's is adjacent to the parking lot and an Outback Steakhouse is within walking distance. Overall we were very pleased and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple