“Stay somewhere else!”

Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in hundreds of holidays inns - this is the worst. Old. Tired. Not up to HE Express - they should make them remove this hotel from their group. It has one suite and because I am a platinum member I got a free upgrade. My poor teenage son had to sleep on the cheapest thinnest mattress on a sofa bed I've ever seen. I asked the receptionist if they could double up with another mattress off an unused rooms sofa bed but it never arrived. This is motel quality and certainly not a HE Express quality - there's other options - try somewhere else - thankfully we only had one night to endure.

• Stayed: July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Expattraveler100,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. We certainly appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services.

I am sorry to hear that you didn't find our hotel to your liking. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience brought by your room condition and for any dissatisfaction you had with our level of service. This is definitely not up to our standards as we always strive to deliver world class service to our elite members.

As a Platinum member, your patronage is very important to our hotel. As such, your comments will be shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Dhan M

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed here before heading into the canyon and it only has one (1) elevator for the entire hotel. So you compete for space with very pleasant maids and maintenance workers. It was a challenge to get to the breakfast area. This was not a week end but the front desk manager had to step in to help the breakfast attendant with cleaning and stocking of the food. Try the other hotels in the area first. The hotel needs a little attention as well.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear David G,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow us to apologize for the over-all experience you had during your stay and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. We want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Following a wonderful and relaxing night at the Holiday Inn Express in Wichita Falls the previous night, I rolled into Flagstaff for a repeat engagement and was sorely disappointed. Really old building. A really grubby, unkempt uncared for feeling about this place. Fierce check in lady, ugly rooms and the bed had this incontinence cover over the mattress that sounded like a burger wrapper when you rolled across the bed. I took the burger wrapper off the bed and returned it to reception (ok, a strong thing to do), but the receptionist accepted it back like I was returning a pen, leaving me the impression that most folks take it off and get rid of it.

Front of the hotel has these peculiar (but very bright) orange lights above the hotel windows. I am sure these are great to catch the attention of passing motorists, but pity the fool (me) who is trying to sleep bathed in artificial orange light.

Cost of the night was twice what I had paid for better accomodations and nice people in Wichita Falls, and come sunrise, I could not get out of this place fast enough.

So, I took one for the team.....

Room Tip: how about a room in a neighboring hotel?
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Purim,

Thank you for the candid review of our property. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the hotel's appearance and you dind't find our rooms to your liking. I sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you have ecnountered and regret that your stay didn't live up to your expectations.

We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Dhan M

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We traveled with a group of 29 from the Good Shepherd Church from Pueblo, CO. The Hotel was all ready for us we didnt have to wait, the service and staff was amazing. We had a delicious breakfast and slept in very comfortable beds. The kids enjoyed he swimming pool and hot tub and we will definitely continue to stay here. The price was just right, too. Thank you to everyone for the wonderful service.
God Bless you all.
The Sight and Sound Ministry
Pueblo, CO

Room Tip: If you want a great place to stay, this is it. Convenient, clean and the food is great.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

The holiday inn express is not bad. The building is slightly older, though it is well kept and clean. The only annoyance with the older design is that there are two elevators that run very slowly (which normally I wouldn't take the time to complain about, except for when the hotel gets full then moving luggage in and out can become a 15 minute experience). The free breakfast is convenient, and they leave cookies and juice out for most of the day as well. As far as other dining options, avoid the Denny's that is across the parking lot; the service was awful and there are better places to grab a cheap bite to eat around flagstaff. Finally, be patient when trying to get to the highway while leaving the hotel. You can't turn left towards the highway from the main road so following the signs to the interstate leads you around the block. Otherwise, the location and price are not bad for enjoying day trips to the Grand Canyon and surrounding areas.

• Stayed: July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Ghert56,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Connie D

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I left my Kindle the first day of my vacation at this Holiday Inn Express. I called 60 miles down the road and the young lady at the front desk said they would mail it to my house. When I returned home it was here. Great staff and honest.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2013

There are a couple of major "motel strips" off I 40 at Flagstaff. The Lucky Lane area has around a dozen properties, including both low end and mid market. I've stayed in several of them over the years and concluded that the Holiday Inn Express is the best. It's a solidly built property, so you don't hear your neighbours as you do in some of the cheaper places. My only real criticism is that the two small lifts are rather "arthritic". The size of the property really rates an upgrade to 4 modern ones. Make sure you specify a room on the Freeway side (which you won't hear), rather than the town side, where you will hear the railroad whistles constantly. I was disappointed some years ago when this property had the bar and all day restaurant service removed, but this is no real hardship. There is a full hot & cold breakfast buffet service up to 10am included in your room rate. There are several bar and restaurant options nearby, including a Dennys on the south side of the car-park and an Outback a couple of blocks along. The pool has half outside and half inside which is novel. My room included a fridge and microwave and there were plenty of power outlets, including on the desk, for charging laptops etc. The lobby has free internet access. Because Flagstaff is the closest town to the Grand Canyon with decent hotel options, this Holiday Inn is generally quite busy and this is reflected in the room rates.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south (freeway) side are quietest
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo