“Days Inn Quality at Holiday Inn Express Rates”

Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed December 28, 2012

All I can say is that Holiday Inn Express should be ashamed to allow this hotel to use their name. I pulled off highway 40 and needed a place to stay, when I noticed the Holiday Inn Express sign. I am a priority member and stay at HI and HI Express often.

I did not have time to check Trip Advisor, so I went on the belief that Holiday Inn would require their hotels to be up to a specific standard. When I checked in, I told Clint that I follow TripAdvisor and he said the hotel had terrific reviews.

I checked in and found the room to be extreamly outdated and shabby at best. The bed was hard like a board, the heater was so loud, you don't have to worry about hearing the people in the next room.

The hotel was busy and the line for breakfast was too long, so I went to Denny's for breakfast. I went back to the room to shower and only had cold water. I took a cold shower and went back down to the front desk to complain.

Guess who was there at the desk, Clint the same guy who checked me in. I told him that his hotel is not up to Holiday Inn standards, the shower was ice cold and the breakfast area is not big enough to service that size hotel.

He was nice when he checked me in, but when I complained, he just ignored me and more or less, laughed it off. I told him that I planned to write to Holiday Inn, because I was not happy, I did not receive a good nights sleep or a hot shower, he said I could, but there was nothing he could do. Funny thing is, they put a note in with the bill that reads, if you are not happy with your stay, please speak with the front desk, which I did, but that does no good.

Clint told me that the beds and furniture are from 2005 and they plan to buy new beds in November 2013, but that did not help me in December 2012. He also told me that the boiler was broken and everyone was complaining about not having hot water.

Not only was this the worst Holiday Inn experience that I have ever encountered, but the front desk staff is nice when you check in and could care less when you check out. Unless you like over paying for a room just because of the Holiday Inn Express name, stay away from this Holiday Inn Express and choose another Flagstaff hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jeff W
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Our family of three stayed here for a weekend in December. We chose this hotel since it was close to the departure location for the North Pole Experience. The hotel is a little older, but it seemed well kept. The free breakfast was good (eggs, pancakes, yummy cinnamon rolls, etc.) and they had fresh-baked cookies daily. The rooms were clean, but we had a really hard time adjusting the heat temperature. It was either blowing too cool or too warm. The kids swam in the indoor/outdoor pool and had fun. It was a little chilly so they didn't last too long. It snowed while we were there. The parking lot and sidewalks were plowed and shoveled.

We ate next door at the Northern Pines restaurant a few times (good service and great food). It's conveniently located near downtown Flagstaff, which has a lot of good shops and restaurants as well. We took the kids sledding at a small hill down by the college. That was fun!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The front desk help were the friendliest I've encountered in some time. The rooms were small but extremely clean. The desk called us after we got settled to see if there was anything we needed. A very nice touch. The hotel lobby was very inviting and the breakfast was very good.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 609walterr
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We love the Holiday Inn Express brand and consider it a sure bet. Unfortunately, this experience fell short of what we expected.

This hotel had probably the best free breakfast I've ever been offered. It included eggs and some sort of meat every day. You could make your own pancakes. Also, cold hard boiled eggs were always available, along with the usual assortment of yogurt and breads. Although the food area could get crowded, the breakfast area itself was huge, and the staff kept the food well-stocked.The person working there was friendly and had a good attitude, too.

The room was updated and the beds comfortable. However, it was very cramped. It was difficult to get around in the room with more than one adult. I would definitely NOT recommend the room for say, four women (or even two women) on a girls' getaway trip , unless you feel really, REALLY comfortable with one another. The space in the room was so tight that you had to pass single file to get to the bathroom. Also, there was barely room for our suitcases (two adults, one very small child.) The closet was not deep enough and did not close if you had anything hanging in it.

The hotel let us use a portable crib (not a pack'n'play style, but a small sized crib) for no extra charge. Someone brought it up for us and set it up.

The bathroom, as some other reviewers stated, is very tight. I discounted this before booking, but it did turn out to be a bit of a pain. We took turns getting ready in it, and were very careful opening the door when the other parent was giving our child a bath as the door would hit the parent unless the parent moved.

Although the room was clean when we arrived, we had one day where we never got service. We left around 12, I think, and the staff never came back by. When we alerted the front desk staff, they seemed stunned and looked into what happened, but never offered an apology or any sort of compensation. They did give us fresh towels, but we struggled with the trash overflow, since hotel trash cans are so small.

Despite the negatives, I might stay in this hotel again, especially if it were just me staying by myself. The breakfast was a really nice amenity and the public areas were tastefully decorated and updated.

Room Tip: These rooms are very small. Don't think you can easily squeeze a four-person family or four adul...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Really friendly welcome. A slightly older hotel which looks a little care worn in places but very friendly staff and the usual brilliant breakfast and a nice touch of free cookies in reception in the afternoon/evening.

Flagstaff is a lovely town, small and really friendly with a variety of excellent local shops and restaurants. Recommend visiting the tourist information centre at the train station to pick up free maps and for details of any special events etc.

Do not be tempted to visit the Denny’s just outside the front door of the hotel unless it has improved greatly since we were there. Our visit started with us eventually being shown to a dirty table, being left until we actually went to find someone to place our order and then waiting for our vaguely warm meal to be delivered. This appeared to be standard practice as several of the people around us were getting apologies from staff during the exceptionally long time we were in this ‘fast food’ restaurant.

1  Thank morlandmonk
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I read reviews of all the hotels we booked for a cross country trip and they were very mixed for this hotel. Some people complained about highway noise and some about train whistles. For that reason I had some reservations about staying here, BUT that was unwarranted. This hotel, like the other Holiday Inn Expresses we have been staying in, is very, very nice. The room isn't huge, but it is more than adequate for 2 people. It is clean and quiet. We had a room on the 5th floor in the front of the building and found no noises keeping us awake at night.

Their breakfast room is huge and the food was hot and tasty...a real treat before setting out to see the Grand Canyon. Plenty of choices and hot coffee - what more could you need?

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: I suppose the higher up the room, the quieter it is.
1  Thank MBaillieul
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Room was big enough to hand out it and quiet. It was clean and in a good location. The breakfast had what you would expect for continental plus hot food-eggs, bacon, pancakes, sausage, and some awesome cinnamon rolls. There were also fresh baked cookies put out every couple of hours. Game room was disappointing, only a couple of old unknown video games in a closet. Indoor Outdoor pool is really cool and clean. Staff was also very helpful.

Room Tip: Stayed here two nights, during different parts of trip. Room 331 and 205 both were good.