“Great location, great bar, Teeny Weeny rooms.”
Review of Weatherford Hotel

Weatherford Hotel
Ranked #36 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great location, great bar, Teeny Weeny rooms.”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I booked this hotel being it was close to the train station. I had to catch an Amtrak train at 4am in the morning. This hotel was walking distance to the train station and made it very convienent. The food and drinks were great. The bartender got me turned onto pineapple vodka and sprite. Super yummy!! Check in was pleasant. The only downfall was the room. It was clean but very tiny. I don't even think a midget would have been comfortable. Though for just a 5 hour place of rest it was fine. Then again it is a historic hotel and people back in the 1800's were smaller.

Room Tip: If you are claustraphobic look elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jhi62004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed 1 night and yes heard the bars closing at 2am. Nothing I haven't had happen at several other downtown hotels in several other cities. The staff, everyone we experienced was young, very pleasant and helpful. I would for sure return and you should too if you want an experience in a turn of the century building in the center of the old town. If you don't want street noise, snapping heat pipes or creaking floors stay at a Holiday Inn etc. but you will be missing something special.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank SpudmanCanada
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I'm writing this review around 1 am because I can't sleep. If you're reading it at 1 am, it's because you find yourself in the same predicament.

Don't book a rom at the Weatherford on a Friday or Saturday night if you want to sleep.

Unfortunately, this beautiful historic hotel has become part of the "pub crawl" that has infested downtown Flagstaff. I had the misfortune of staying here on a Friday and found this out for myself. Starting around 8 this evening -- and apparently it won't end until 2 am -- the two hotel bars have turned my plans for a restful night inside out. Loud music, yelling, and hallway havoc as the college age kids take their business into the hotel itself have ruined my stay. It's the typical hooting, fist pumping, heavy-bass music and alcohol fueled stupidity. I'm in a frat house, not a hotel.

I complained, and the helpful woman at the front desk offered a refund and called other hotels for a room for me. It's apparently a bit of a routine. All were booked or more expensive. So here I sit, half tempted to go sleep in my car.

I feel so naive thinking I might actually SLEEP at this hotel. I guess there's more money in serving alcohol than in providing the promised service to paying hotel guests.

Strongly recommend that travelers not stay here on Friday or Saturday.

Stayed November 2013
10 Thank nmplaces

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Granada Hills, CA
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Look, I am NOT a fancy or 'picky' travel but my experience at this hotel went accordingly :

Never Again...THOSE TWO WORDS PERFECTLY describe I how feel about this hotel..Let me explain. We (my family and I) wanted to try something new , so we booked the hotel, and we stayed during the week of Halloween... and THIS is what happened....

My family booked two rooms on the third floor, the rooms were very close to the Zane Grey "Ballroom" (Which is more of a BAR than a ballroom)...The Rooms look like a place where a destitute artist comes to END their LIFE with a shower curtain wire! The walls were a dull white, the bed was too small for ANYBODY, and there basically wasn't enough room for Anything; not even a suitcase . THEN a wedding happened on Halloween night in the "ballroom", that turned the hotel from classy into an UCLA FRAT HOUSE in zero to basically zero! The Happily Married Couple AND Their Guest were EXTREMELY LOUD to the point I had to called down to the Front Desk THREE times! And the Front Desk did NOTHING!

Then the wedding party got worse! The guests started fights, loud dancing (which sounded more like bigfoot stompings), and completed the nightmare by trying to BUST into our rooms and screaming at us to let them use our bathrooms Another THREE TIMES!

If that doesn't scare you, this will... The young employees of the hotel must have Severe short term memory and trust issues because they harass me and my family with harsh toned questions of "What are you doing?!" and "Why are you here?" and "Are you staying here?" ... My family replied to them each time in a polite manner, but that didn't stop them from rudely asking....This hotel is an EXTREME regret in my traveling resume

Short and sweet: I will NEVER AGAIN stay at this hotel... Period!

Room Tip: The only GOOD thing about this hotel were the housekeepers that came every morning and took requests...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank Lorelei D
Bracknell
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We chose this hotel because of its history and it is in downtown Flagstaff. We had a room furthest from the bar and ballroom, but this is a music pub, as we were told when we booked, so expected it to be lively, which it was. Our room was comfortable with a private bathroom across the hall, our burgers for dinner were very nice, and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elainejh
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed in Flagstaff with the intention of heading out to the Grand Canyon but due to the shutdown, this part of our trip was cancelled. The staff at the Weatherford could not have been more helpful and accommodating. They rearranged our trip for us and managed to accommodate our new dates of stay. The hotel itself was gorgeous! Could not have asked for a better looking or more historically significant place to stay whilst exploring the amazing town of Flagstaff. The staff at the hotel, bar and restaurant were brilliant. I could have easily just moved in and stayed there! I had read previous reviews before staying and was concerned about noise levels but we were not disturbed one bit. We had a great nights sleep every night and the noise level was completely fine. Nothing to worry about at all! When we go back to Flagstaff we will definitely stay here again. There was not one single thing I could fault about this awesome hotel. If you're going, you have to stay here!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paige G
Columbus, TX
Reviewed October 21, 2013

You can read the reviews and know that The Weatherford is anything but your typical, predictable "big box" chain hotel. It is quirky, historic, "lively", haunted - and, IMO, a great value if you want to stay in DT Flagstaff. We made reservations "the morning of" our arrival. (We were scheduled to be at the Grand Canyon Lodge - but, due to government shutdown - well, you know...) When I called (no on-line booking) I spoke with a gentleman who was obviously trained to point out all the negatives...bar on the same floor - check, parking behind - check, no elevator - check, older historic hotel - check, "sound carries" – check, trains - check, doors lock at 2 AM - check.... bless their hearts, they probably say it over and over. It was a Monday night and they were sold out of all of the larger "Queen" rooms. We went with a "double" with in-suite bath. In my conversation, I asked to be as far from the Zane Grey as possible. He explained that the room at the very end of the hall (Room 53) had a private bath but it wasn't "in-suite" You had to walk across the hall but would be the only person with a key. Fine with me - maybe my husband wouldn't wake me up in the morning with his bathroom activities.

Upon arrival we found street parking (we arrived on two motorcycles) and checked in. Yes - we had to lug our bags up 3 flights of stairs. That was a bit of a drag. We were offered assistance, but we were able to get it on our own.

Room/Bath/Amenities:
Room was small and quaint - but very clean. Furnished in historic decor. I loved the fact that you could open the windows! Bathroom was across the hall as described and had a corner shower, sink and toilet and was NOT too cramped. (The girl at check in mentioned that this bathroom was actually a bit larger than those in-suite) Small closet. No ironing board/iron or blow dryer. However - I asked someone from housekeeping for a blow dryer and she promptly provided. Towels were a nice quality and sheets/bed/pillows were comfortable.

Hotel Common area:
Loved loved loved the upstairs bar. Great deck overlooking town. Fireplace and antique fabulous bar. We went down the hall for Happy Hour to the Zane Grey. I noticed someone else's comment about the bartender being rude. She wasn't rude to us - just not at all a conversationalist. We were the only two people in the whole bar and she made absolutely no attempt to have any sort of contact other than drink order. In fact - you got the definite 'do not talk to me' vibe. But, that's ok - we had each other...would not be such a great bar to hang in by yourself. With that said, I am giving 5* service because everyone else was WONDERFUL - went out of their way to be helpful. They were playing classic rock music from the 60-70's...PERFECT for us. LOVED! Would be super if they would upgrade their patio chairs a bit. Cheap plastic yard chairs...I could have stayed out there all day on a nice comfy outdoor couch with a book and a drink. Just a few dollars could really "spruce it up". We ended up having a "night cap" at the bar after dinner and there was a roaring fire in the fireplace. Seriously - it is a great bar for "ambiance" / date night.

Restaurant: We did not eat there - so, no review. Looks fine and I noticed they had a decent crowd even on a Monday night.

Noise - yes, there was noise from the bar -even on a Monday night. It was not over the top loud and we had no problems sleeping.... other than the ghost. But, that's another story and I'm not sure it wasn't all "in my head" so, I'm not going to go there.

Overall - know what to expect and you will be happy. Compare to pricing of other hotels (Drury) in downtown and this screams "VALUE". We were on a 12 day journey through New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, and Colorado and were obviously disappointed at the closing of the Grand Canyon. We picked Flagstaff as we had never spent anytime there other than a quick driveby about 5 years ago. It was actually one of the BEST nights of our entire trip. We both fell in love with the city! Enjoy!!

MOTORCYCLE TIP: Parking is behind the hotel and the road is one-way. However, easy to make the block The girl at the desk called it "gravel" - however, it is a mixture of asphalt with some large gravel pieces. It is not a problem AT ALL to park your motorcycle. (and I'm a gravel wuss) Also - she said that you can leave your bikes on the street after 6 PM. We were able to look out our window directly down to the bikes. We did not have any "security concerns".

Room Tip: Room 53 - for price point it was fine. Clean / Comfy. yes - small and "historic". Bed ma...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple