“Great breakfast, nice outdoor seating”
Review of Weatherford Hotel

Weatherford Hotel
Ranked #34 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Sedona, Arizona
“Great breakfast, nice outdoor seating”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I enjoy going here when we drive up to Flagstaff from Phoenix. They have fantastic huevos rancheros with a tasty green chile accompaniment, black beans, fresh tortillas....really good! The outdoor seating is great for people-watching in downtown Flag. The hotel is also very interesting....historic, crooked floors when you walk past the long bar to the restrooms, a pretty cool old safe in the lobby. A nice and different atmosphere for a really good breakfast. The wait staff is very friendly and efficient too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nancy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Rushden, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here one night on our travels. Looks great from the outside but the rooms were tiny and the bathrooms smaller still ! ! Could barely shut the door when using the loo ! But that said we had a good night in the bar where they had a karaoke going on, which was fun, then enjoyed a good nights sleep in very comfy bed. It felt like sleeping in an old Wild West saloon, very atmospheric and good fun but glad it was only for one night ! The staff were lovely and made short we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cruiser_540958
San Anselmo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The staff at the Hotel Weatherford are wonderful! The hotel itself is very old and a bit funky. The room we had did have it's own bathroom with a claw foot tub and pedestal sink but no shower. If you like to feel like you've gone back in time, this is the hotel for you!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sbluce
Richland, Washington
Reviewed January 19, 2013

In this case, "historic" means "old and cruddy". The shower head is shorter than most people I know, probably sitting at about 5'4" ish. It's also SO NOISY. There are two bars, one of which is on a floor with rooms. The walls are old and thin and not even close to sound proof. Out of the six or so employees there at the time, none of them knew how to check us in. An off-the-clock employee happened to come in for whatever reason and checked us in. Very few power outlets. Tiny room overall, but especially tiny bathroom. No counter space. Zero amenities.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you want to get some sleep. Shower before you show up.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank WATraveler58708

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have seen the Weatherford for years while traveling into Flagstaff and have not had any need to stay here and after reading the latest reviews I would say head to the Super 8 for $50 a night and check out the clean rooms there before putting your head on any pillow. Besides that we only wanted a drink at the historic bar. We were told there was the bar upstairs and one downstairs. No one who greeted us was enthusiastic about either location. We chose the downstairs bar, unimpressive but still quaint with youth at the bar laughing and having a good old time. That's where we wanted to be rather than stuffy upstairs. The bar keep was Chelsea and what a great gal she was, very accomodating helping me decide what kind of ladies drink I should indulge in. I decided on the Peach Tini, and well now I have bought the peach vodka and peach schnapps and have made my own since they are delicious, she was right I did like it. Hubby had his usual gin and tonic. But the best part was that Chelsea was up all the locations of where to go for happy hour, where to eat and what to see. We took her advice and went to Pato for Thai food, more to come on that in Tripadvisor, a real hit for us. I learned some new drinks and now I actually know what IPA beer is and what it means, not that I am going to use it anytime soon. We look forward to trying Los Altos and Criollo's and Mama Luisa that Chelsea recommended. If nothing else go to the bar downstairs and meet up with Chelsea and get the scoop on what to do while you are in town, she's knowledgeable for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I've visited Flag at least 10 times and had yet to stay at the Weatherford. I've stayed at Monte Vista and other chain hotels outside the downtown area. For whatever reason I had assumed that the Weatherford was the nicer and tamer of the non-chain hotels in the downtown area.

My wife and I stayed just 1 night last weekend. When making the reservation, I mentioned to the woman on the phone that we would we arriving a bit late, about 6:00pm, because we were day-tripping up from Phoenix through Cottonwood (wine tastings) for my wife's birthday.

When we arrived, there was a holiday parade. The main road (Aspen Ave) was closed, which made it a pain in the butt to find a parking spot in an already minimal parking situation. The woman on the phone didn't mention the holiday parade to offer assistance with parking.

The real issue is that when we checked in, the staff mentioned that there would be a holiday party that night on the third floor in the Zane Ballroom just down the hall from us. We didn't baulk when we checked-in around 6:00 because we were tired and I didn't want to try and figure out an alternative, especially with the traffic, parade, etc. When we walked up to the third floor, we saw the party had a DJ. We went to an amazing dinner at Tinderbox and returned around 10:00pm. The music shook our tiny room until 11:15pm and the party continued (sans DJ music) until at least 2:00 am with party-goers slamming doors, yelling, romping though the hall. We got sporadic, thin sleep.

In the morning, we didn't want to deal with our non-sleep issue and ruin the end of our weekend. A day later I ended up emailing Sam Green (email on website) expressing my dissatisfaction and disappointment with the lack of candor when booking the room. That was 7 days ago and there was no response, so I decided to write my reviews.

The $100 room was tiny and dirty. The cover on the bed was filthy and the floors dirty/stained. A small room is to be expected older hotels but tiny was not okay for $100/night. The full-size bed was springy as I would call it and rather uncomfortable. The bathroom required a maneuvering dance around the door in order to get in and use the toilet or shower. And I'm a slim guy. The shower was silly too. I'm 6'2" and the shower head was at my sternum (maybe 4'10").

I’m all for supporting independent operators but not at the expense of value or my comfort. Kitsch and novelty can only take consumers so far. When a clean, comfortable, nice and service-oriented accommodation can be found a $5 cab ride down the road for the same (often cheaper) price, then the Weatherford and Monte Vista need to get their act together.

It’s such a shame that the dark-sky city now has quiet trains (no more obnoxious loud horns). The city has even more charm now, but the hotels downtown can’t piece together a decent hotel experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Try2BObjective
Newark
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Didn't stay here but enjoyed a good meal and very good locally brewed IPA. The staff were helpful and attentive without being distracting. The hotel is in the centre of Flagstaff in what looked to be a student area (nothing wrong with that) with lots of small bars, restaurants and shops. The hotel itself is an historic building and is worth a wander around (along with a pint of IPA) in itself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends