“Love Flag, Don't Like The Weather...ford” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Weatherford Hotel

Weatherford Hotel
Ranked #35 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Phoenix, AZ
“Love Flag, Don't Like The Weather...ford”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

I've visited Flag at least 10 times and had yet to stay at the Weatherford. I've stayed at Monte Vista and other chain hotels outside the downtown area. For whatever reason I had assumed that the Weatherford was the nicer and tamer of the non-chain hotels in the downtown area.

My wife and I stayed just 1 night last weekend. When making the reservation, I mentioned to the woman on the phone that we would we arriving a bit late, about 6:00pm, because we were day-tripping up from Phoenix through Cottonwood (wine tastings) for my wife's birthday.

When we arrived, there was a holiday parade. The main road (Aspen Ave) was closed, which made it a pain in the butt to find a parking spot in an already minimal parking situation. The woman on the phone didn't mention the holiday parade to offer assistance with parking.

The real issue is that when we checked in, the staff mentioned that there would be a holiday party that night on the third floor in the Zane Ballroom just down the hall from us. We didn't baulk when we checked-in around 6:00 because we were tired and I didn't want to try and figure out an alternative, especially with the traffic, parade, etc. When we walked up to the third floor, we saw the party had a DJ. We went to an amazing dinner at Tinderbox and returned around 10:00pm. The music shook our tiny room until 11:15pm and the party continued (sans DJ music) until at least 2:00 am with party-goers slamming doors, yelling, romping though the hall. We got sporadic, thin sleep.

In the morning, we didn't want to deal with our non-sleep issue and ruin the end of our weekend. A day later I ended up emailing Sam Green (email on website) expressing my dissatisfaction and disappointment with the lack of candor when booking the room. That was 7 days ago and there was no response, so I decided to write my reviews.

The $100 room was tiny and dirty. The cover on the bed was filthy and the floors dirty/stained. A small room is to be expected older hotels but tiny was not okay for $100/night. The full-size bed was springy as I would call it and rather uncomfortable. The bathroom required a maneuvering dance around the door in order to get in and use the toilet or shower. And I'm a slim guy. The shower was silly too. I'm 6'2" and the shower head was at my sternum (maybe 4'10").

I’m all for supporting independent operators but not at the expense of value or my comfort. Kitsch and novelty can only take consumers so far. When a clean, comfortable, nice and service-oriented accommodation can be found a $5 cab ride down the road for the same (often cheaper) price, then the Weatherford and Monte Vista need to get their act together.

It’s such a shame that the dark-sky city now has quiet trains (no more obnoxious loud horns). The city has even more charm now, but the hotels downtown can’t piece together a decent hotel experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Try2BObjective

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Newark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Didn't stay here but enjoyed a good meal and very good locally brewed IPA. The staff were helpful and attentive without being distracting. The hotel is in the centre of Flagstaff in what looked to be a student area (nothing wrong with that) with lots of small bars, restaurants and shops. The hotel itself is an historic building and is worth a wander around (along with a pint of IPA) in itself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank diverNewark
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

The historic district is the core of tourism in Flagstaff Arizona. Our impression as we walked the streets was that it is more of a night life destination then a daytime area. Bars and college students are in abundance. Nice shops and a few restaurants were sprinkled amongst the funky and deferred maintenance. The local curator at the visit-worthy Pioneer Museum out of town mentioned that we should visit the historic Weatherford Hotel. So we headed to the hotel and walked into the lobby. Like many historic venues the Weatherford has suffered from deserved upkeep, but the staff was friendly, the bar lively and the restaurant populated. What we found to be the best of the Weatherford was the upper balcony where we enjoyed quiet views up and down the old western streets. Here you can feel the old west. Be sure to study the old pictures and paintings throughout the stairwells, floors and in the restaurant. These are the gold you'll find at The Weatherford.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne O
Santa barbara, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I chose the Weatherford because I like historic venues and it was located close to the Amtrak station; also because it was a Tuesday night and there's no live music in the hotel's bars that night (see other reviews that mention noise). I paid $99 for a standard room, although I gather they have refurbished rooms for $139 or thereabouts. I checked in late and, frankly, if I'd had a car, I would've left and found somewhere else to stay. Initially, I was taken aback by the state of the room: The paint had bubbled and cracked on the outside wall and ceiling, apparently from leaks; the baseboard and window ledges were badly torn up and missing paint.The metal bed frame was also banged up, although the bedding was clean and the bed pretty comfortable. There was no bedside table or lamp and when I went to move a small table and dresser lamp to the bedside, two of the table's legs turned out to be extremely loose and unsteady. I didn't feel comfortable walking barefoot on the carpet, which was dark red and didn't seem too bad until I looked closely. The bathroom had a badly chipped porcelain sink, a shower head that reached my collarbone (I'm 5'9" tall), and the shortest tub I've ever seen (great for gradeschoolers!). That said, the bathrooom was very clean, the towels were nice, and the water pressure and temperature good. Overall though, the room was pretty depressing. Next morning, in daylight, the rest of the hotel above the ground floor looked just as shabby - not charming - but plain old shabby with chunks of plaster knocked off corners and paint chipped or scraped. It's a popular place with students, what with two bars and two live music areas, and it seems the owners are happy to let it look like a fraternity house rather than a hotel, which is a real shame. More imporantly, I did not see a smoke detector or sprinkler in my room and no map giving evacuation information in the event of fire - perhaps that's not required in Arizona, but it certainly gave me pause given the age of the hotel. On the plus side, the front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and the kid who carried my bags up the three flights of stairs (no elevator!) was a sweetie, but I wouldn't stay there again, even if they dropped the price to $59 a night, which is really all the room was worth.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms before you register and have a back-up plan.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GrannyA

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Bisbee, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

for real historic hotel in downtown flagstaff. you can park your car and walk to everything.

11 spotless rooms with no tv or phones. also have couple of rooms with shared bath for the budget concious.

charly's is fun for entertainment but for those who want something quieter they have a bar and lounge on second floor with access to the balcony to observe the street scenes.

my favorite in flagstaff.

Room Tip: interior rooms quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank michaelhicks44
Helsinki
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

This hotel is not for everyone. It is really an old building (not modern made rustic). It has a lot of character, nice bar and breakfast room, and it has the best location. Downsides: no views from the most expensive rooms, a little bit pricey, old style bath tub with no shower curtain.

Europeans be warned: thick wall to wall carpeting in the hotel room and in the lobby areas!!! No hard floors here!!! Noise blowing in the morning for sure.

I was a little bit afraid that the music played during the blues nite would be a problem but it was not heard in the room.

To put it short: as you can see from older reviews some like this but it is not for everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights during the 2012 Pickin' in the Pines Bluegrass Festival. I attended NAU in the 70's so am no stranger to Flagstaff. The Weatherford is not for everybody. It's old, refurbished, yet still a little funky. The staff is wonderful, very personable and friendly. While the rooms are small they are very clean, no A/C, but hey, I was there in September and Flagastaff sits at 6900 feet in the DRY Arizona air, so no biggie, summertime might be a little uncomfortable. There was a fan that fit perfectly in the old style lift-up window. Once raised, it provided ample ventilation. Some reviews complain about the noise from the bar but it never bothered me. I am a chronic overpacker" so getting my duffle bag up theree flights of stiars to my room (no elevator) could "have killed me at 59, but Jesse at the front desk had it up there pronto. Again, outstanding service. And,, as they say, Location, Location, Location. You can walk anywhere and drink as much as you want, without having to worry about driving (Flagstaff cops are DUI mongrels). So, no worries there!

Things that need improved:

NO WiFi: I could not use my iPad at all. This is a shame since they have such nice sitting areas. The staff will tell you that ther are WiFi sites available, but not really, they do not permeate inside the hotel walls. I would have gladly paid for an exclusive WiFi signal in my room and throughout the hotel. Come on man, it's 2012!

MORNING COFFEE: There are only 11 rooms and there is complimentary coffe for paying guests, BUT, you need to walk down 3 flights of stairs, go into Charly's Restaurant, try to find a waiter and ask for a cup, sort of feeling like a moocher. After all that, they bring you a nice cup of Joe, but no spoon, you have to hover over a table while you add cream, sugar, etc. then walk back up 3 flights to your room. SOLUTION: Spend the money and have a Guest Coffee Station on your wonderful 2nd floor lobby sitting area so guests may come and go as they please, in their jammies, to get some coffee.

PARKING: There are only about 6 spaces behind the hotel accomodating 11 rooms so this is a problem on the weekends when the 2 bars are featuring live music and locals mooch on the Guest Only parking spaces. I drove around for quite a while on a Saturday night after returning from the festival trying to find a street parking space. Not cool.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo