“Shouldn't be an Embassy”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Flagstaff
Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Let me start by saying that the staff was the only good thing about this hotel and they're the only reason this location gets 1 star. If the rating system went lower, and the staff hadn't been friendly, I would have listed this as "should be condemned". Other than that I can't think of one good thing to say. The signage on the roadway is almost impossible to spot. The decor was outdated (and I understand they're trying to cater to the area) and the odor that resonated throughout the hotel was almost unbearable. Size wise it doesn't live up to it's name. I remember walking into my first Embassy and knowing I'd never stay at another hotel again. This one may have changed my mind. Getting to my room I was appalled at the size. None of the furniture was comfortable. The bed left me and my husband with aching backs the next morning and that's hard to do. There was carpet missing in certain areas of the room. That odor? Impossible not to notice. There were gouges in the walls (in the room and in all the hallways), rust on almost every metal surface (including the toilet paper holder), and mold growing around the tub. The slip proof mat in the tub was breaking down leaving rubber pieces in the shower. The shower had two settings. Too much pressure and not enough pressure. The shower curtain wasn't big enough, trust me I spent 10 minutes trying to adjust it before I hopped in the shower, and water leaked all over the floor during my shower. The spout and the knob both pulled away from the wall when I moved them to turn on the water. I didn't feel comfortable enough to walk around the room without shoes on because the grime on the carpet was visible. There was a thick layer of dust and cobwebs on all the sprinklers in the room. The managers reception was a joke. The vegetables they served were rubbery and the alcohol choices were cut rate, at best, and you could taste it. Thankfully there was a bar across the street. I gave them my money because the bar in the hotel closed at 10pm. Ridiculous. Onto breakfast. EVERYTHING was undercooked. I don't mean that in a figurative way. Everything was literally undercooked. The eggs were watery, the bacon was rubbery, and the toaster didn't even toast. The orange juice has to be the worst stuff I've tasted in my life. The selection at breakfast was an absolute joke as well. On our way we thought about extending our stay but after experiencing this Embassy we went elsewhere for night 2. I will never stay at this hotel again. This location should be closed and rebuilt elsewhere in the town. I am not trying to be difficult but when I spend $179 on a room I expect a standard of quality that this Embassy more than failed to meet.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Alicia A
ESGM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for your candid review regarding your recent stay with us.

We have taken every comment to heart and are diligently working on preventing any future incidents that are in our control.

We appreciate your time, business, and understanding.

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Flagstaff

Reviewed August 2, 2013

When traveling with children, Embassy Suites is always a good choice. We used this as our home base for sight seeing around Northern Arizona. The location was excellent with easy access to freeways and highways for the site seeing. Services like grocery stores, gas stations, Target and restaurants were in close proximity.

Manager's special in the afternoon was okay. But who would turn down complimentary bar drinks. The breakfast was great. It got really busy for breakfast during the weekend and the staff was exceptional. They hustled to clean up and keep food stocked. The chefs working the weekend kept their smiles even with the non-stop ordering of meals.

Coming from California, I was also not used to having smoking rooms and non-smoking rooms mixed in together on one floor. Eventually the smoke odor bothered me in the hallways.

One negative is that the walls are paper thin. The people below us got a fright I'm sure with the noise of my kids from above. I could hear my kids before I even reached the room. Sadly, I could also hear the cries of the baby next door during the evening and they were my wake up call as well in the morning.

All in all an average Embassy Suites.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Last stop on a whirlwind Southern California / Arizona / Texas / Louisiana / Oklahoma / New Mexico / Arizona road trip. One night only. Upon check-in, was told I was given a room upgrade. Hurray for us! Went to the room, which was plenty big with lots of space in the living room. Why all that space? The master bedroom was about the size of a prison cell. Large bed took up 85% of the room. We didn't even bring our suitcase in. About 2 feet of space around the bed to navigate. So small, we debated giving the room to the kids and taking their place on the fold out sofa.

Hey, it's only one night, so who cares? The real problem was the cleanliness of the room. Hairs on the tissue box on the bathroom counter. Hairs in the bathtub. Stained duvet. Disturbing red stain on the fitted bedsheet. Tried to convince my wife it was a wine stain. Ended up spreading a bath towel over the stain and sleeping on that. Maybe we should have declined the upgrade. Wouldn't stay here again.

We turned in the room comment card to the front desk. We were contacted later by Misty, the Director of Rooms. She seemed genuinely concerned about our experience, and after a few back and forth emails, we were given a small monetary discount, which was nice. Credit where credit is due.

Breakfast service was very slow, with only 2 hotel employees working the line. They did their best, making an effort to accomodate my daughter's many food allergies, but the line was ridiculous. We had spent the previous morning at the Embassy Suites in Albuquerque, where they had a large catering staff working breakfast. It rocked! Lots of people, but the line moved very briskly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank beeks919

Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay with us.

We appreciate any and all feedback from our guests regardless of its nature.

I am very concerned to learn of your experience with us. I have passed along your comments to my executive team to insure that this does not happen in the future.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

When traveling with four children Embassy Suites are perfect. Flagstaff is beautiful but the property was no where near the quality of other Embassy Suites where we have stayed. The staff at check-in was great. The manager's special didn't seem the same, salsa wasn't good and the chips tasted stale. When we sat down to enjoy our drinks after a 14 hour drive we noticed the area in which we were sitting smelled like urine. This is the first Embassy we stayed at with an outdoor pool however our kids said the water looked nasty and wouldn't swim in it. This could be due to recent rain or maybe the many children already swimming in it. The couch in our room had stains on it which I was able to wipe away but still bothered me that no one took the time before our stay to do. Carpet in our room seemed to be soiled but the beds were comfortable. There were kids running the halls and knocking on doors. The breakfast was great as usual but just didn't feel like we were staying in an Embassy Suites.

3  Thank Kasie R
ESGM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay with us.

I have forwarded your comments to my executive team and we are taking every step to prevent these issues for our future guests.

I am sorry that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations. I take every comment from every guests very seriously, regardless of it's nature.

Thank you again for your time and your business.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Room rate was rather high for the area but accommodations are quality, clean and safe. Complimentary bar drinks at 7pm and complimentary cook to order breakfast help a bit. CFL bulbs in the room cheapen the whole experience; inadequate and harsh light compared to incandescent or halogen.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you so much for your recent review of your stay with Embassy Suites Flagstaff.

We are so pleased that you were comfortable and enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to having you again as our guests in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a family of 5 and we all had plenty of room without feeling crowded. The happy hour was a bonus, however the snacks could stand an improvement. Everyone on the staff was very helpful and friendly, check-in and out was quick and easy. The breakfast is very good, with cook to order omelettes and french toast, as well as many other choices. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Flagstaff.

1  Thank AJ408

Thank you so much for your review of your stay at Embassy Suites Flagstaff.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to having you as our guests in the future.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My three friends and I had a great stay here...the two bedroom suite was clean and plenty big for the four of us. We were very pleased with the generous breakfast buffet that was half the cost of a restaurant breakfast. The staff was friendly, quick, and they gave us extended checkout with no problem. The showers were nice and hot, towels were thick, and the a/c worked great. The free happy hour was a bonus-we would all stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with Embassy Suites Flagstaff.

We appreciate your business and your time.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you know, we are not the newest hotel in town and we pride ourselves on our service.

I have forwarded your comments to my executive team and we are working on correcting some of the issues you stated in your review.

We hope that this does not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Thank you again and we look forward to having you as our guests in the future.