“4.5 out of 5”

Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Moab, Utah
“4.5 out of 5”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised on visiting this motel as I think it is only marked 3 star. We booked a 2 bathroom suite and found it spacious and comfortable. The bathrooms were very clean, I hate staying anywhere that has black grouting and this certainly didn't where higher rated BW's have in my experience.

The breakfast had a good variety of food and was pretty good. I had the waffles whilst my husband tried the eggs. The fruit was Dole and not fresh but was fine.

The motel is close to the railway and you do hear the trains at night mainly because they blast their horns. The railway runs alongside the main road straight through Flagstaff so I expect you can hear it in all motels.

I would certainly return but maybe with earplugs.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SeaShell1907

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Finnish first
Cornish, Maine
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Recently stayed at BW Pony Soldier Inn in Flagstaff when returning from a trip to the Grand Canyon. I was with two other adults, 1 child, and my Springer Spaniel dog. I had called to reserve the room earlier that day anticipating that I would be tired after driving to the Grand Canyon from my home base and then finishing up at the Grand Canyon late in the afternoon. I am a Best Western rewards member and have Never been dissatisfied at any BW facility including two previous stays at this hotel 1 and 2 years previous. I have always experienced and appreciated spacious, bright, Updated, and clean rooms at all other BW hotels. The room that we were put in at this facility DID NOT meet the criteria of a typical Best Western Hotel room. It was Dark, gloomy, with walls that had dark shade of paint. Outdated furniture and bathroom fixtures. The toilet and shower portion of the room was so tiny that it seemed that it had been designed that way purposely most likely to capitalize on overall space to make as many rooms as possible while sacrificing habitability and convenience. I have stayed in a lot of Best Western hotels and have Never seen a bathroom that small. Once inside the bathroom I noticed old filth that should have been scrubbed and repainted. My wife was not happy at all. I felt that I was in a predicament because I had settled into the room and did not think that I had any other options than to stay the night. We were all tired and I figured we would just sleep and move on quickly in the morning.

A thing that really irritated me was that when I went out the to the front desk and told the desk clerk what I thought about the room, his only response was, "Well . . . . all comments are useful, and I'm sorry you feel that way". It wasn't until the next morning when I spoke with another desk clerk about getting the hotel Manager's name and phone number that I learned that had I told them that I did not want to stay for the night, that my credit card would not be charged. Had I known that when I had the discussion with the desk clerk upon checking in, I would have packed up and left. Upon hearing of my dissatisfaction the next morning, the second desk clerk, although disagreeing with my assessment of the room, discounted the price of the room $30.

In hindsight, I should have asked to see the room before I agreed to check in. I didn't think that would be necessary in a Best Western hotel, but even at age 61, I learned a valuable lesson.

Room Tip: As I indicated in my assessment above, I strongly recommend that you ask to see the room prior to ag...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank wsmith52
sgramsaz, General Manager at Best Western Pony Soldier Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear of your experience this visit to our hotel. You mentioned that you had stayed with us the previous 2 years, and those visits must have been satisfactory for you to reserve with us again this year. I am not sure what happened this year vs your previous visits. This hotel was built in the early 60's, and not much has changed as far as the layout of the rooms. We installed new Vanities, fixtures, and mirrors this off season. You may have reserved a different room type than previous years, but the physical layout of the rooms has not changed.

Scott Grams
Pismo Beach, United States
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We loved this place. The beds are a little stiff but that seems to be the norm for hotels now. It was still a nice setup and a good sleep. Staff was all smiles and helpful even when we left at 4am. The character minimum is a pain in the behind.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Haan, Germany
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Whyever you stay in Flagstaff, if it's for the route 66 or the grand Canyon or for business reason, this hotel is a very good option!
It's at the route 66, not far from the historical center of Flagstaff with a lot of shopping and dining possibilities around.
The Staff was very friendly throughout the stay and the staff serving the breakfast room was some of the fastest to clean tables ans refill empty things I've ever seen.

The room itself was very good for a two star house. It had a good size, a little bathroom with bathtub and flat screen TV. Additionally they have free wifi.

The Breakfast was also very good with a wide choice.

Only bad thing I could notice was the proximity To the railroad. But either there are not so many trains at night, or I have a deep sleep, but I wasn't annoyed by it, neither was it a big minus point for the hotel.

Can definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Flagstaff.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for your review. We always enjoy positive reviews from our guests from overseas. We have many international guests stay with us every year. Many of them will drive Route 66, and visit the Grand Canyon as well. I am happy to hear that your visit to Flagstaff was a positive one and that you would recommend our hotel to anyone!

Thank you again for your kind review,

Scott Grams
Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed here before going on the train to the Grand Canyon.
Fantastic staff. Very friendly and helpful.
We had a massive room at a great price. The downside was it was on the front of the building and the trains make it quite noisy. But other rooms would not have experienced the same.

Pool was fantastic. Breakfast is great. An older facility but well maintained.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Apple Valley, California
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Purchased a 3 day stay through Groupon and was pleasantly surprised! This is right on Rt 66, close to town, the snow bowl and 45 min. From Sedona. What's not to love! The motel has been remodeled and was very clean, beds were comfortable, room had a small refrigerator and many extras including a morning paper delivered to our door. We especially loved their free morning buffet - one of the best we've had. We travel A LOT and do so with our golden retriever. This place is on one of our new routes and we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Two separate bedrooms and 2 separate bathrooms.... both with tubs, perfect for parents and kids. Each room has a TV. Price is the same as other motels with one room. Stay here! Very nice breakfast and a large breakfast room. At least two or three staff in the breakfast room. Kids loved having their on TV. Good location right in Flagstaff, AZ. Best value.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family