“Good accommodations” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Rome, Italy
“Good accommodations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Counter clerks were friendly, room was good, nothing over the top but comfortable affordable stay. Breakfast was good, very nice touch. Location was convenient , was colder than I expected in the area for February.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham T
sgramsaz, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Pony Soldier Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for your positive review!

Scott Grams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Reading, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were traveling through Flagstaff between Tucson and Albuquerque. It was quite cold when we arrived at around 9 PM. We had a very nice spacious room, well decorated and very clean. We got the hotel because we wanted to use the indoor pool. It was too late to use it the night we got there so I was going to have breakfast in the morning and go for a swim before we left. The bed was comfortable and we slept well. In the morning it was 14 degrees F when we got up. We went to breakfast, which was one of the better included breakfast buffets that I have had. After we ate we went into the pool area. It was not attached to the building and there was about a 50 ft space between the hotel and the pool with no place to change in the pool. When we went in right after it was opened in the morning it was full of mist and hard to breath because of the chlorine in the air, it was cold in the building and the water was not warm enough to make up for the cold air. Needless to say, I didn't go swimming. Except for the swimming disappointment, I was quite happy with our stay at this hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful, the hotel was very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank morningskywoman
Thank you for your kind review!

Sorry to hear about your experience with our pool. It is somewhat of an inconvenience when you have to walk outside w/ no changing facilities at the pool. We keep the pool temperature at about 86 degrees, and we do cover it at night, so it maintains the temperature pretty well, and the spa is kept at 102 degrees. It can be a shocker when leaving the pool are to outside when it is cold out, kinda like running out of the Sauna into a snowbank, or a polar bear plunge!

Thanks again,

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was given a large double suite, with two bathrooms, a sitting/tv room and a large king-sized bedroom with another huge TV.

The blow heater was noisy and annoying, so, I kept it off, which meant the room was a little cold. I got some extra blankets and that made all the difference in chilly January.

The bed was comfortable, but the pillows weren't great.

The in-room wifi wasn't working, but it was working in the lobby, but I couldn't hang out in the cold lobby and work.

Breakfast is in the building it the parking lot and is pretty standard fare, waffles, boiled eggs, packets of oatmeal, yoghurts, juices and coffees. Nothing to write home about, but enough to keep you going until lunch.

Room Tip: If you don't like blow heaters, ask for extra blankets. I had to do this on the second night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank ThePackedBag

Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed on a holiday (President's weekend) to visit family in the area and had a hard time finding a room. Best Western still had rooms so we took it. We arrived at about 10pm and the gal had me checked in and heading to the room in less than maybe two minutes. I couldn't believe it. The room was clean and tidy, plenty of room and well kept. We paid 109 (but I think their normal rate is lower but most hotels were booked that weekend).

I thought the bed was adequate (didn't really notice it being one way or another), the bathroom door was pretty cool, and I thought the breakfast was very nice.The breakfast area is a little bigger than most and had the typical fare for hotel breakfasts, but was clean and maintained. The breakfast gal was very personable too, which was nice.

Being that the hotel was full that night, there was a lot of traffic in the hall at night, and some that were louder than I would have liked. My wife is a very light sleeper and was woken a couple of times by loud hallway visitors. I didn't notice though. This hotel has some pet rooms and my wife also heard a dog bark a couple of times in the night. We heard it again in the morning and it was rather irritating... but I don't fault the hotel for the dogs or the inconsiderate people. The walls were plenty thick and well insulated to keep the majority of noise out. I think on any other week day or weekend, you'd be just fine.

I would definitely stay here again, especially if I had my dog with me. Rooms were comfortable, good sized, free internet and good connectivity. They even had plenty of outlets for all my electronics. Overall a good stay for 109.00.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank TouristCJ

Flagstaff hotels do not fill up too many times during the winter, but the week between Christmas and New Years, and Presidents Day Weekend are definitely full.

I am happy hear you enjoyed your visit, and look forward to seeing and hearing from you again.

Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Good value for money.
Nice and clean rooms.
Looks little old though.
Nice service, friendly staff.
Across railroad which is very active and was an issue for sleep.
Nice breakfast.
Swimming pool and spa looked good, though we did not use it.

Room Tip: Probably better if you go towards back of hotel, train noise may be less of an issue!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
sgramsaz, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Pony Soldier Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your review.

Crossville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is not a hotel I would have picked to stay at due to proximity to railroad tracks being across the street, and the age of the hotel. Being from Flagstaff originally I know how long this hotel has been around. We were offered great rates by the manager due to attending a family funeral. Rooms were adequate and clean. We were given adjoining rooms with my daughter's family which was unexpected and great. Beds were comfortable, but after the 1st night of tossing and turning, we all agreed that the beds were like sleeping on a plywood slab. Mattresses were new, clean and bedding was great, but just extremely hard and uncomfortable. Continental breakfast was good and also adequate. As long as theres muffins and coffee I'm happy. All the staff were great and cleaning staff did an excellent job cleaning. In a pinch I would stay there again, but I'd prefer to stay in a newer hotel for the same rate.

Room Tip: Railroad is across the street so a room in the rear of the hotel would be good. Rooms on the east s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank cyalady
Thank you for your review. I did offer the family and extended family a super rate, that would not have been available at other hotels, especially during the Martin Luther King Holiday. I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed most of your extended stay with us. Bedding firmness is a personal preference, and we receive comments from guests that rave about the firmness of our beds, and we also receive comments that the beds were too firm. I am sorry you felt our beds were too firm. When a business is going out of its way to help out a group, please use discretion in your choice of words for your review title as a courtesy to that business. Many guests that frequent review sites will scan titles only.