“Rocky Horror Travelodge”

Ranked #25 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Colleyville, Texas
“Rocky Horror Travelodge”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We booked a room at this property through Hotels.com last month. We selected the Travelodge because we were travelling with two dogs, and it was the highest rated "pet friendly" property in the Flagstaff area. To be fair, "pet friendly" properties are almost always dumps, so I did not have high expectations. Unfortunately, I believe i did not set the bar low enough.

First of all, it was almost impossible to find the property when we arrived in Flagstaff at 11pm. Although the address is on East Route 66, GPS does not recognize the address (I even called the hotel for an alternate address or directions, and the front desk clerk confirmed that there is no way to map to the property). I followed the directions given to me by the front desk clerk, and still drove past the property twice because the Travelodge sign was merely a poster that was tacked over the property's previous neon sign and was difficult to see.

When we finally arrived at the hotel, I almost drove away. The "lobby" was an empty white room that almost looked abandoned. As a woman travelling with a small child and two dogs (my husband was driving a separate car and started the journey several hours after me, so wound up stopping in a different city for the night), I felt very unsafe checking in. The front desk clerk was not wearing a uniform or any kind of identification to confirm that he was a Travelodge employee, and it was not until his wife joined him at the front desk that I had any confidence whatsoever that this was truly a Travelodge franchise property.

They assigned me to a room on the 2nd floor, and the manager's wife followed me to the stairs to inform me that I would have to carry my two dogs up the (outside corridor) stairs to insure that my dogs would not fall through the openings in the steps. I made three trips up the stairs with my child, our dogs and all of our possessions because I was afraid to leave anything in the car.

Once I had transported everything into our assigned room, I realized that the room had not been cleaned. Sheets were piled up on the dresser, all the trashcans were full and there was garbage on the tables. I called down to the front desk and was assigned a new room.

The new room was not dirty, but was also not very nice. The television didn't work, and I would not allow my son to take off his shoes for fear of what was on the (very stained) carpets. My dogs spent so much time running around the room sniffing out evidence of previous canine occupants that I finally had to lock them in the bathroom for the night. It did not make for a pleasant evening.

This property is in desperate need of Travelodge signage, renovation and improved housekeeping staff. Overall, I think the Travelodge brand offers decent value and quality, and this hotel does the entire brand a disservice. This property would not seem as scary if the owners spent some money to bring it up to Travelodge brand standards.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BostonSummerGirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
Overgaard, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Very clean rooms, very courteous staff and management. Really an great place to stop and get some well deserved rest. Everything worked and was just perfect! I would definitely recommend to friends and family!

Room Tip: Just ask for Jose, he will help you out!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelingColleen
Lower Waterford, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stopped over night. We were very pleased to find a comfortable, friendly place to unwind after a long day on the road-loved the comfortable office chair provided!

• Stayed July 2012
Hereford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

stayed here after a long day on route 66, was very tired and needed somewhere to crash, all seemed much of a muchness so picked this one as central, and lots of parking, receptionist was miserable, room seemed more than we had paid for similar, was ok for one night but nothing special and carried a musty smell, and could hear a barking dog from neighbouring room most of night, needs updating as a bit scruffy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mazza018
Wichita, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

We arrived late and most nearby motels were full. Got a room here for several times the advertised rate. It was a dump. Carpet is full of holes, very few electrical outlets and those are so loose a plug will not stay in them. They advertise wifi and it's there...within 50 feet of the lobby. Good luck having any in your room. Peeling paint and the bathtub drain stopper would not close. Really glad to get out of there the next morning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

2 Thank spot1956

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Carmel Valley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

This old place is a tarnished vestige of the faded old Route 66. It might have been O.K. for a night stop in the early '60s, but it is now simply cheap and run down. The rooms here are mediocre, at best.
The pathetic "breakfast" consisted of old donuts, stale cereal and reprehensible coffee.
Most Importantly -- BEWARE: UNETHICAL PERSONS RUN THIS DUMP!
We booked the room for three nights through Expedia, but checked out after only two nights, being assured by the young desk clerk that this was O.K. and we could seek our refund through Expedia.
Now, however, the hotel refuses to authorize the refund for the third night, claiming their computer showed we stayed all three nights. After several calls, I was able to speak with the young clerk who remembered and confirmed our early check out. Several promises to straighten out the error or have the manager call me went unfulfilled. Finally the owner let it be known that they would not authorize Expedia to refund my money!
My wife, who works at the front desk of a hotel near our home, is appalled by the mishandling of this simple reservation change. Don't get caught between Expedia and this inept hotel management. You will lose.
Many other and better hotels are in the area, so I strongly advise you opt for one of them and avoid the Travelodge Flagstaff.

Room Tip: I advise that you pick a different hotel in the area.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Max Meadows
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

The room was ok, although I did find a empty whiskey bottle under the bed when I was checking for my misplaced things before I checked out. Not sure how well the room was cleaned. Not many electrical outlets. Had a frig. Pretty good location. Front desk staff was nice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo