“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Drury Inn & Suites Flagstaff
Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This place was very comfortable to stay at. It is right on the edge of NAU. Centrally located in Northern Arizona. Convenient to many area attractions. Service was great. Staff is friendly. Hot breakfast buffet is good. Dinner was not posted and was same most nights. Free alcoholic beverages during happy hour.

Room Tip: We had a suite which is nice for my husband and I in case we need to close the bedroom door if one o...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We originally booked in for two nights but then extend to three as in a great location for the old town, where there is plenty of choice for places to eat. We had a suite which was very spacious, the beds very comfortable. The price we paid for the suite was in fact cheaper than a standard room in a couple of other hotels that we checked out locally. The staff are very,very helpful and many thanks especially to Lucia for her advise on the best sites to see in the area.

The evening drinks and nibbles did get a little overcrowded as this is a large hotel dining area small. No problems at breakfast and there is a good selection on offer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sohotobrighton
Tauranga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had a great night's stay at the Drury Inn. We were just passing through so only stayed for one night with our two teenage boys. The beds were comfortable and clean and we heard no outside noise what so ever. The drinks at 5pm were amazing as they included a selection of hot and cold finger food. The pool and spa pool were also great and appreciated by our children. Breakfast the next morning was on a par with all the other breakfasts we have had, plenty of it to keep our guys going all day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Drury Inn and Suites describes itself as a mid-scale limited, service hotel chain, I stayed in a few of these hotels in the last few trips to the USA and they generally have comfortable beds and are clean. I found this hotel to be welcoming with very pleasant public areas, much better than some places which can feel either sterile or dingy. My bedroom was clean and comfortable and the decor was fine for the price bracket. The staff were more helpful than in other similar places that I have visited and I appreciated the early evening drinks, something that gave the sitting area a club-lounge type atmosphere.

So ... I feel a little churlish at mentioning the disposable knives, forks, glasses and cups, generating far more waste than I think is necessary, especially in a hotel that states and intention to be eco-friendly. I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express with the same issues, so I think that this is a problem of this type of hotel chain and is linked to competitive pricing, so it may be only pressure from guests that reverses this policy. The lower priced (at the time of my stay) Hyatt Place Hotel in Santa Fe used real knives and forks so it must be possible without sacrificing too much profit. It would be good to see some money being spent on job creation, to get the dishes collected, cleaned and re-used, rather than creating more plastic waste and squandering resources. I appreciate that saving water in Arizona, so it might take a bit of thinking to do this well ... and the dual flush loos are a start ... but a real step towards being eco-friendly (locally sourced real food and less waste) would be appreciated too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

On our way back from the Golden State, we changed our plans from Scottsdale to Flagstaff and what a brilliant decision that was. Our suite was top class for a Drury with a large room, comfy beds, and balcony overlooking the mountains and town. Using my gold Key points, I got the first night free--we fell in love with the town so added extra nights and the hotel just charged us the rate for a normal room instead of the moving us. That was nice. The front desk staff is the best we've ever had at a Drury hands down. Everything fresh, clean and delightful! They did need a LOT more space in the breakfast area, but we enjoyed sitting in the lobby having our evening cocktail.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor mountain view.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I totally agree with davegidd's review. While they include happy hour drinks and breakfast it was hard to imagine how they maintain their rate structure. It is on a par with much lower rated hotels., totally dated and worn.

We were on road trip to California and stayed there over the Northern Arizona University graduation weekend so the hotel was full.

The staff was uniformly friendly, helpful and professional. Kudos to them. The location is good.

But, overall the hotel is "dreary" and full of plastic. As daveidd pointed out, this is odd for a hotel proclaiming to be Eco friendly. The cups in the room are plastic, the "steal-proof" hangars are plastic and barely hold the weight of a blouse before collapsing. Really, everything there is made of plastic or some other synthetic. Nothing Eco friendly about the place except for a couple parking places designated for fuel efficient cars (taken by pick-up trucks.)

We skipped happy hour since it was mobbed, but got there early for breakfast. Again - plastic everywhere - plates, forks, knives, spoons, cups. People circling for a place. Ugh. Just awful.

We subsequently stayed at a Best Western in Kingman Arizona that had real mugs, silverware, hangars and more.

Try somewhere else while in Flagstaff.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lkbside
Bonsall, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is the first time I've been led astray by Tripadvisor reviews. I have no idea how this place is rated so highly, especially at the prices they are charging. I've stayed at Drury hotels before and been very satisfied and I know what they have to offer. This one falls very short of what I have come to expect in all but the friendly service they are known for. The front desk staff here is as helpful and sincere as you will find, which is the only saving grace I can find for this hotel.

Our arrival was fine, Wes at the front desk was very nice, gave us restaurant recommendations and overall couldn't have been more helpful. It was downhill from there. The hotel looks nice and modern on the outside, but inside is a different story. I guess the decor is intended to look Southwestern, but it is an Easterners interpretation of it, from the 1970's. Brown, heavily textured stucco walls IN THE ROOMS. Really? Who thought that was a good idea? They can't be wiped clean. And they are in the bathroom, also! Yuck. The furnishings are the usual traditional style you'll find in all Drurys, so it looks dated from the beginning. It's a design choice, and it's fine, nothing to complain about. The chocolate brown carpet is so worn that the pattern is gone in the traffic patterns. You can't tell whether it is clean or not because of the dark color, which is kind of gross actually. It smells clean though.

For a hotel that pushes its eco-friendly design, it is odd they provided plastic cups wrapped in more plastic and the in-room coffee cups are Styrofoam. There are more appropriate disposable cups available in case management hasn't figured that out. The "air conditioning" is some sort of energy saving design that uses outside air when the temperature isn't too warm. That's all well and good in theory, but what if guests want their room cooler than 74 degrees? Tough luck is what.

The Kickback food area was so crowded that we passed on it. There was nowhere to sit and it was way too noisy to bother with. We skipped breakfast also for the same reason.

This is the noisiest hotel we stayed at in years (and I stay in lots of hotels.) Screaming kids, slamming doors, barking dogs, you name it, they have it here. To be fair, I didn't hear anything through the walls or ceiling, but the doors to the hallway are like paper. I thought the kids screaming were in the hallway, but it turned out they were in their room with the door closed and I could still hear them like they were in my room. The dogs I don't mind actually, but if you don't like pets then be warned that this hotel is overrun with them.

The crowning glory of this experience is that one of the two elevators broke down. I understand that these things happen and if that was the only thing wrong I wouldn't mind, but on top of everything else it was just too much.

This is a budget hotel charging full service prices. I advise you to skip it and go to the Embassy Suites up the street where you'll pay less and get a better room. I know I won't be staying here again, that's for sure.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank davegidd
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Flagstaff, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. As a limited service hotel in Flagstaff, our rates are based on our competitive market segment. As a year round tourist destination, Flagstaff hotels are busy and rates are based on availability. We like to think that our Southwest style décor fits in well in the city. Our high rankings on TripAdvisor are because of our service and value for the money. As you happened to stay on Northern Arizona University's graduation weekend, and as we are located on their campus, we were naturally full of families. We do hope that you come back again for a future visit!