“Great new restaurant in Flagstaff!”

Red Curry Vegan Kitchen
Ranked #34 of 348 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: Thai
Camp Verde, Arizona
“Great new restaurant in Flagstaff!”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I've only made one trip to this restaurant so far, but can't wait to get back! The ingredients in the sushi rolls I had were super fresh, and the curry dish was really tasty. The waitress even brought me a free sample of the tapioca-coconut dessert (really aromatic, and just the right touch of sweet). And all vegan to boot! They're located on San Francisco, just north of Rte 66, right across the street from Aspen Sports. No parking on the street? No worries - the parking garage is super close, just one block north.

• Visited February 2014

Flagstaff
“Soups, Main Dishes, One Menu”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

สวัสดี

Unfortunately, most of our restaurants in Flag cater to a Route 66-not-interested-in-flavors-outside-of-their-home-tastes-tourists. Every now and then, a new restaurant opens up and we get to experience food from a courageous cook who is focusing on the artistry a cultural menu can provide. I enjoy subtle broths or sauces with explosive flavors of garlic or basil or chiles. I was not only impressed but reminded of a wonderful restaurant in Bangkok where I thought I needed to return to if I ever wanted a bowl of soup that maintained individual flavors in a broth of lemon grass, garlic, and ginger. The soups (I've had two) are especially authentic and one bowl is closer to two servings. I tasted their pad thai and their spring rolls all of which was fresh and not defrosted in a microwave. Usually, in a Thai restaurant, I order a "3" for spiciness. Although I enjoy spicy food, I prefer lowering the heat level so that I can taste the multiple flavors so commonly found in Thai food. At this restaurant, a "2" was a perfect match for spiciness that did not overwhelm the other ingredients.

It is the fresh ingredients, the harmony of flavors, the very kind waitstaff, and their one menu (they do not charge more for dinner but keep to the same menu all day), that keeps me returning.

It is not expensive (around $8 a dish), the portions are decent if not great for sharing, and the blend of flavors are distinct and complimentary.

If you are unsure about the "vegan" part, just know that there are no eggs or any animal product in their food. They are not replacing meat products with cardboard, but with fresh, flavorful, and a careful blend of ingredients. Surprisingly, they have American inspired deserts that are listed up on their board. The soup always is filling, so I'm useless when it comes to talking about their deserts.

• Visited February 2014