“Old England House B&B Review”
Review of England House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flagstaff
England House B&B
Ranked #2 of 11 Flagstaff B&B and Inns
Phoenix, Arizona
“Old England House B&B Review”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Wonderful place to stay in downtown Flagstaff, with a great location just a few minutes walk from downtown (less than 10). Lots of restaurants close. 100 year old unique stone house, fully renovated, rich history and filled with wonderful antiques and books. Owner operated, with their home behind, wonderful Host and Hostess. Guests have the B&B to themselves. Safe off street parking. Food was excellent, with compementary wine, beer, sodas, coffee, tea, etc. Breakfast was organic all the way and REALLY good. Want help with the sights and things to do, where to eat, etc...just ask. Very helpful team. Jim and Peg Kelsey

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Sassenage, France
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I cannot give an opinion of the quality of this address, I am sure it is very nice, as most people say. However, I had a very bad experience with it. I had a booking to stay there for two nights. I made it long before the recent shutdown when the Grand Canyon was closed. My husband and I were on our way there, in spite of the closure, when my husband became ill, forcing us to change our plans. We cancelled 5 days before our due stay. We were told that since we hadn't cancelled 7 days before, we would pay the full price. And indeed our account was debited with that sum. Which is very profitable for them, since we did not eat any breakfasts, nor did we create any mess in the room in which we never slept. I find this totally inacceptable. How do we know that the room was not relet? This is dishonest and I would warn anyone intending to stay here to be careful of the cancellation period.

3 Thank TrinaB04
Reviewed November 7, 2013

What makes this B&B the best in Flagstaff are the owners Richard and Laurel. Unlike other B&B's , they live in a separate house on the property so you basically have full run of the house that you are in; although you are staying in one room. It is not just me saying this it is others too; read the reviews. The reviews are not just cursory reviews as could be seen on other B&B's reviews. We come back here because the personal touch that they give is excellent as well as when they help you fin dings to do or places to eat. They know the area and the shops and restaurants in the area know them. Other reviews had helped us in the past to make decisions on where to stay.

We have stayed in 3 different rooms 3 different times and all are exceptional; they all have their unique charm and historic ambiance. The one we stayed in this time is quite the quiet gem and roomy too. This room aka The Cellar, has beautiful mahogany accents and paneling and a painted tin ceiling. With cozy chairs to snuggle up to the fireplace and a good book or glass of wine, it makes it a nice little hide away spot. Although not a bed room, the Parlor is inviting with its wrap around couch and classic period decorum. I have spent time up here too in this common area to socialize with others as well as to just sit around. Everything about the England House says come home, stay awhile. Richard and Laurel take time to get to know you names , even before you get there. With a stocked refrigerator, with ice cream, sodas, beer, wine, cookies, popcorn, fresh fruit, it is like being at home without having to do all the shopping.

Our latest stay was for four nights, so five unique breakfast's. The coffee or tea is always hot and the food is as fresh and unique as you can get it; it is not over the top though. Richard and Laurel keep modest notes on what they have served you during your stay as well as what you liked or did not like as they accommodate now and in the future for whatever may arise. They too make note of what you liked or not while in Flagstaff as this can be handy to know when referring other guests.

Yes, welcome home. It is nice to be here again. I have stayed at other B&B's and no others in this town or elsewhere come close to this home. Make sure you check in before 6PM so you can get the full effect of this historic house as well as not to disturb other guests. It is sad we had to go back to our other house but we will be back.

Room Tip: Call in advance.
1 Thank Lightning077
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed at England House for 2 nights (11th & 12th October 2013) and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. The property is quietly situated in a residential area a few minutes walk from town. It is an impresive building with a certain old fashoined charm at the same time as being very well maintained.
The hosts Laurel & Richard are a lovely couple, articulate and very well informed about the town of Flagstaff and surrounding area offering lots of good advice on dining, things to see and do.etc. My room was immaculate and very comfortable with quality fittings, bedding and toiletries - all you could wish for. Breakfast served in the breakfast room was without doubt the highest quality I enjoyed on my 18 night trip to the Fours Corners area. There is on-site secure parking in the Yard of the property.
I particularly enjoyed my visit to the town of Flagstaff, it had a nice small town feel to it with everyone I came across being polite and interested in engaging in conversation with me (64 y.o. English chap). Flagstaff & Santa Fe were for me the most interesting of the places I visited and the two places I would most likely visit again.
Flagstaff would be an excellent base for an extended stay in Arizona being in close proximity to the Grand Canyon and with a wealth of good bars and nice selection of varied high quality places to eat both in the evening and at lunchtime.

Room Tip: Due to a mix-up (by me) with my dates I stayed in the basement room which was very comfortable - tho...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was our first B&B experience, but I'm already pretty certain every other B&B has been ruined for me. I can't begin to imagine a more delightful experience. While we were aiming for a bigger room, we wound up with The Pantry (because we waited too long to book) which, despite its size, was still streets ahead of any other room I've ever stayed in!

Richard and Laurel treated us just like family. They had fantastic information on everything in the area. They took time out of their day to just chat, and were far and away the best hosts ever. My wife and I are definitely going back in the future.

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong here.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Driving east from Death Valley at the end of a long road trip, we thought we could make New Mexico, but 20 miles outside Flagstaff, decided we'd had enough of the car. Searched for a B&B in Flagstaff, found the nice reviews of England House and called Richard. Very lucky there was a room for us and we arrived about 20 minutes later. Warm greeting, lovely room--Songcatcher--and attentive tour and information from Richard. VERY comfortable bed, delicious breakfast and all-in-all a delightful stay; we were very glad we stopped when we did!

Room Tip: The Pantry is a very, very tiny room, but the innkeeper was totally honest about it when we talked o...
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay in Flagstaff as a midpoint between multiple National Parks in Arizona, only to have them all closed due to the government shut down. This could have ruined our trip, but England House owners Richard and Laurel helped to make it the complete opposite. Our room, Stone Cutter was immaculate and beautifully furnished with lovely antiques. We had a den and fireplace which was so cozy. I love to cook and sat with a cup of their great coffee in the morning and watched them cook fantastic breakfasts, chat, share recipes and get ideas for alternative events for the day. They even arranged for us to see the Grand Canyon via helicopter!!! My husband plays guitar and learning that Richard secretly placed a guitar in the den. We love finding great restaurants and they let us know of many as Flagsaff is loaded with many. One of those was Cottage Place, where I have had the best meal out that I can remember in quite some time. The owner is also the chef and comes to your table. If you love to cook, don't pass up his cookbook which they have there if you ask and he will sign it. Don't miss staying here if you are in the area.

Room Tip: Stone Cutter is the largest room and we loved it but every room is beautiful. The room on the ground...