“Looked for an accommodation, found a friend!”
Review of England House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flagstaff
England House B&B
Ranked #2 of 11 Flagstaff B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Travelling one time around the world, seeing many places, sleeping in many beds, many of them I won`t remember soon, but this B&B in Flagstaff was special. Richard the owner told me at the first day he wants to treat all his guests like friends, but this were not only words, every minute he showed a hospitality that is hard to find again. He was a fantastic person, his jokes awesome and his recommendations for sightseeing outstanding. Especially "the secret place" at the Great Canyon, most people don`t know about (I won`t tell about here ;-)) was awesome.
The last morning of my stay I was the only guest, so Richard decided to give me a special breakfast... he is a damn good cook ;-). Thank you Richard.
If other travellers are more interestet in the location itself than in my feelings about: it is easy to find, a short walk away from the city center and a lot of good restaurants, the B&B remembers you of an old Victorian villa with a lot of luxury. Free WiFi, free Soft drinks, free cookies, fruits, chocolate, ice cream, beer and wine, where do you find that again?
Go there and meet Richard and his wife (and dog), they will give you an experience you will tell your friends and family in the same way you will about the Great Canyon. Thank you very much from your German friend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sascha D

Reviewed March 18, 2013

As my boyfriend and I began looking for a place to stay in Flagstaff for a much-needed weekend getaway, we stumbled upon England House and knew instantly it was for us. The delightful old-world charm of the house, coupled with beautifully upgraded amenities provided the exact type of comfort we were looking for. Our expectations were fully met, and completely exceeded.

Richard and Laurel are two of the most kind and charming people we have met. Upon arrival, Richard gives you the grand tour of the house, showing you all of the original finishings that make an older home so appealing. They have obviously put a great deal of work into returning the house to its former splendor.

We stayed in the "Star Gazer" room (with the full soaker tub and separate shower), and were incredibly comfortable. Initially, I was worried the bed was a bit hard, but found it very easy to sleep on. I even slept better there than I do at home! The towels, robes, and all linens are very plush and comfortable. Plus, each day while you're out, Laurel and Richard refresh your room so it's never messy when you return - I really enjoyed that bit.

Breakfast is served sharply at 8:30, but most visitors congregate around 8 to chat with the hosts while they finish cooking breakfast (which is really tasty by the way). We stayed for 3 nights, and the breakfasts were incredible. They always had 2 courses, with some fresh fruit during the first, and something hardy and filling during the second. We always left for the day very full and satisfied. Additionally, Richard and Laurel were very considerate about our lactose intolerance, going so far as to cook two separate breakfasts so we could eat without becoming ill. Although I'm sure this was an inconvenience on their part, they never showed any irritation, and were glad to help us.

After our stay was over, we were very sad to leave The England House. Richard and Laurel were such great hosts, and were so helpful during our stay. They have great knowledge of the area's sights and restaurants, and they never once steered us the wrong way. We can't wait to go back!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I selected the England House for our short stay in Flagstaff based on internet reviews. My husband and I don't generally stay in B&Bs while traveling, but thought we'd give it a try during this trip. Richard and Laurel were very accomodating to our schedule and informative concerning local dining and attractions. The breakfasts were delicious and the room was very comfortable. All in all a good experience and a positive mark for B&Bs!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband found this B & B while searching on Trip Advisor. It exceeded our expectations in every way. Old world charm with modern comforts would be the best way to describe this lovingly restored house. The beds and bedding are luxurious and oh so comfortable. The hosts, Richard and Laurel are very accommodating. Breakfast was heavenly and served in a beautiful back room filled with light. Beautifully laid out, we felt as if we were in a little French bistro.

We were fortunate enough during our brief stay to be the only guests at the inn, so not only did we have the whole house to ourselves, we also had our hosts undivided attention.

Unfortunately, we were only able to stay one night as we were heading to Phoenix the next day.
Rest assured, when we return to Flagstaff we will return to England House.

Room Tip: The Star Gazer room is my favorite!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The house is a beatifully restored stone building with very nice rooms. Richard welcomed us very graciously, gave us an informative tour of the house and the rooms, and was very charming. Later we met Laurel, who, along with Richard, gave us tips on where to go downtown. They were otherwise unobtrusive ad left out beverages, wine and snacks to which we could help ourselves. The furnishings were terrific and it is an easy walk to downtown Flagstaff. Breakfast the next morning was amazing. My only regret was that my stomach was not big enough to finish it all. Of course, when I told them that they printed out the recipe! I find it difficult to see how one could not love their stay here--they are kind, generous, gracious hosts in an absolutely beautiful setting.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Our first trip to America at the age of sixty plus was full of excellent experiences. We stayed in Charlotte, San Francisco, Flagstaff, Las Vegas and New Orleans. We chose this B&B at Flagstaff for 4 nights because of the amazingly good reviews on Trip Advisor. It's an historic building that has been renovated and refurbished to a very high standard. The front garden lacks kerb appeal. On our arrival Mr Dunn immediately took us on a tour of the property and explained in some detail its origins and how much work he had done to restore its former grandeur with antiques etc. What we really needed after a long journey was a cup of tea but Mr Dunn had other ideas He showed us 'The Pantry' which was the room we had selected from the website and then took us upstairs to an empty suite which was a lot more spacious and more expensive. Mr Dunn explained that he never offered discounts but for an extra 25 dollars per night we could upgrade from the somewhat confined dimensions of 'The Pantry'. We had booked three long consecutive day tours to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and the Hopi Indian Reservation and would not be spending much time in our room so we declined this offer. In hindsight we believe that this decision had a negative impact on the rest of our stay. When we explained that the tour company would collect us next morning between 0815-0830 we were told that breakfast was at 0830 but something could left out for us. We were asked if we liked porridge and I said 'no' but my wife said 'yes' and Mr Dunn said he would prepare porridge in a crock-pot that evening and it would be hot for the morning. A small amount of bread and butter was also left for us, plus milk and various preserves with tea and coffee. We've traveled extensively and enjoyed much better breakfasts in far humbler establishments. It's not uncommon for B&B's to offer a menu to guests or a choice of items to have for breakfast and to have a flexible start and finish time for breakfast service. We left a polite note to explain why we had not eaten the porridge which had contained Cranberries and looked grey and most unappetizing. On our return from the Grand Canyon Mr Dunn greeted us by the front door and we discussed the note and the porridge. There are sensors along the front path that alert the owners to homecoming guests. The following day the quality of breakfast was extremely good with a choice of fruit juice. Mr Dunn had previously explained that he had 'sniffed us' on our arrival and deduced that we were non-smokers. He then provided an extensive explanation of items available to us from the fridge along with comments about their nutritional value. We were advised that when we used the kettle it should be pointed in a particular direction to avoid steam damage to kitchen units. There was a note on the door into the conservatory requesting that it was kept shut and we were asked not to turn out lights in the main rooms of the house. In our absence the door to our room was left unlocked and open and some personal possessions in the bathroom had been rearranged to facilitate two water glasses that were placed in a precise fashion on the glass shelf above the hand basin whether we liked it or not. My wife and I work hard and when we go on holiday we are not seeking advice on our lifestyle or diet. We are hoping to relax and see interesting places and not be troubled by intrusive or controlling hosts. The only other paying guests that we met during our stay at 'The England House' were a professional couple from Manchester (England) who had just traversed the Grand Canyon in both directions. We found them humorous and excellent company but one of our hosts referred to them as 'that stupid couple' during an unguarded telephone conversation. I note that the couple from Manchester have yet to leave their appraisal on Trip Advisor. Near the end of our stay we asked Mr Dunn for directions to the Greyhound Bus Station in Flagstaff. He didn't know where it was but said he would enquire. On the day we left he offered to take us to the bus station and then explained he couldn't leave the B&B until his wife returned in a few hours. He even seemed reluctant to call us a taxi. Flagstaff is a winter sports resort with a large student population and a busy rail network. If you are thinking of visiting the Grand Canyon and need a place to stay hop over to Sedona. It's beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank COLINBRIONY
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Whenever I want to get out of Phoenix and head up to Flagstaff, I always book a room at the England House. The rooms are very comfortable, the history of the place is very interesting, and the breakfast is top notch. Richard and Laurel make their guests right at home. I'm really looking forward to coming back on my next trip!