“Luxury it aint!”
Review of Mountain View Inn

Mountain View Inn
Ranked #9 of 11 Flagstaff B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Ok, lets start with the positives..... The staff were very helpful, when we asked to move from our original non smoking room because it smelt of smoke they were polite and quick to move us. Also this is a great location in an amazing town. There is a fridge in the room and wifi that kind of works.

Unfortunately that is where the positives end. The rooms were disgusting, the carpet was horrible and I didn't take my shoes off, I didn't want to put my luggage down and I refused to take a shower. I left feeling grimy, riffy and generally unhappy, which is a shame because the town has a lot to offer. There is a lot of independent and chain accommodation along the main road, next time I would try these first.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank truckstopblues

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Okay, I wasn't expecting Luxury for $62 a night although with Hotels.com and priceline.com I have been able to stay at the Hilton and similar for less. The trains were a little frightful at first but with the AC and TV on they weren't much of an issue. What was an issue was the fact that there weren't enough towels, window coverings (bathroom area) or toilet paper. Even for $62 a night I expect the basics... shampoo, conditioner, clock and coffee maker or ice machine on the premises. Of course since these were lacking it was no surprise that there was no microwave and the fact that when they came and replenished the 2 towels (reservations for 4) they didn't take out the overflowing trash. Although I saw no bugs in the room, believe you me I was on the lookout for them especially after seeing they had 4 mattresses leaning on the side of the building, I did lose some sleep, not because of the extremely thin pillows but due to worrying about Bed Bugs. The plus side is the room itself was clean and the carpet wasn't soiled.
Hilton $45 a night / Luxury Inn $62 a night........I don't even want to hear you get what you paid for!

Room Tip: Bring all essentials with you. Keep your luggage in the car.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sampsonaz
Reviewed June 4, 2011

On check in we found that the towels had just been refolded after last guest. We then turned the bed down to find the sheets had also not been changed. Went to front desk and they came with clean sheets but no pillow cases and 1 clean hand towel. At 9:30pm took key back to front desk and explained why we would not be staying. Hotel.com tried to get us our money back and Luxury Inn refused to refund our money.

Room Tip: Dirty Linen
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank justwarningyou
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I have stayed here twice and found it to be a good value for a place to sleep and relax. If you don't spend time holed up in your room and are in Flag to enjoy the town and the outdoors, this is the best value for a safe and clean place to crash. It is a well-run family business where the owners are friendly and the entire family help run the motel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank LawyerLaurie
Reviewed July 7, 2010

One of the worst hotel i seen in my life. Very bad service. too many bugs and Roche's.
and finally too expensive.
I never this kind of accommodation to friends

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Robert32655
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I recently visited Flagstaff from Tucson for a triathlon. Since I'd only be there overnight, I just needed a cheap, secure room with a good bed and a hot shower.

After reading the terrible reviews on here, I was prepared for the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised!

The hotel had a new coat of paint on the outside and looks just fine. The rooms are clean and secure. The mattress was fine. There was a new bathtub and new faucets in the sink and the shower. New tile on the bathroom floor. The TV worked fine and got basic cable stations. There were enough towels and the shower was good and hot. The toilet paper is thin, but who cares? I wasn't visiting to indulge in fancy toilet paper.

Regarding the trains - yes, they run and their horns are loud. But that's not the hotel's fault; it's the way Flagstaff is laid out - the main road (Route 66) runs parallel to the train tracks. ANY hotel you stay in along here will present you with the same issue.

I simply cranked the A/C and the fan muffled the noise sufficiently. I slept just fine.

This hotel is the quality of a Motel 6, just family owned and operated. It's perfectly fine for $50/night.

I honestly don't understand why people complain so much! Seriously - do you expect the Taj Mahal for $50/night?

I will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2008

I was prepared for the trains, having read about them in the reviews. The young man working the desk was very helpful the second time I called for directions. However, inside the room....only one set of towels (in a King room). The battery compartment for the smoke alarm was open...and empty. The curtain didn't _quite_ reach across the entire window. The shower curtain wasn't waterproof, so the floor got soaked and very slippery when I took a shower. The exhaust fan in the bathroom was also so noisy, my husband and I generally used the toilet in the dark.

"Luxury," it's not. It's a plain-jane room, bed, bathroom, locking door. Basic cable only. Old-style keys, with a keytag from the previous incarnation, "Geronimo Inn." I had earplugs, so I slept okay. My husband couldn't sleep through the trains. Okay if all you need is one night, but not really worth the $50 we paid for it.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)