“Comfortable & Excellent Food”

Josephine's Modern American Bistro
Ranked #20 of 380 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fine
Description: we are updating our summer hours Monday thru Friday Lunch from 11:00-2:30 P.M Saturday 10:00 and Sunday 9:00- 2:00 P.M Monday thru Thursday Dinner from 5- 8:30 P.M Friday & Saturday dinner 5-9:30 P.M thank you so much
Reviewed August 17, 2018

A group of 4 of us had dinner at Josephine's on Aug. 11th at 6pm. We sat outside and it was very comfortable and quiet. I ordered the sea bass special which was excellent. My wife had the oso bucco which she said was excellent also. Service was "good"; the server was young and a bit inexperienced but it did not interfere with our meal.
Recommended and we would return.

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

Josephine’s is a gem! The building is a historic monument and beautifully nestled in the hills of Flagstaff. The Benedict was outstanding. The gentleman singing French music and playing guitar (some featured on the soundtrack to Chocolat) was such a compliment to the delicious meal.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed August 13, 2018

Lunch with a girlfriend is always something a gal should do. I made reservations for 1:00 and called to confirm and yes indeed they had gotten my message and were pleasant in saying they looked forward to our arrival. We both ordered the Pinot Gris and the Turkey Sandwich with each a salad that was crisp and fresh. It was a hard decision because we wanted to try more than that and an appetizer too but we refrained. Jules was the perfect waiter and suggested the same as we ordered and was attentive to us at all times but not in our face when he saw we were engaged in conversation, we loved that. Our sandwiches were yummy as could be expected and we will return and try some other entrees. We were seated next to the fireplace where we asked for a quiet space which was ideal. Everyone was very accommodating and the food was very good, just as I had remembered it to be in the past.

1  Thank 2Travelers43
Reviewed August 11, 2018

We visited the Museum of Northern Arizona yesterday (8/10), and found it so fascinating, that we spent almost three hours there. When we were ready to leave, our feet were aching, and we were starving. Asked for recommendations at the Admissions desk, and, were given names of two nice restaurants for lunch.

As we were driving to those restaurants, we passed Josephine’s, and it looked so lovely, that we went around the block, parked our car, and made our way inside. This was around 1:40, and there were still many customers, both inside, and outside on the lovely patio. As we opened the door, the host (?) greeted us, grabbed two menus, and was ready to seat us, when the phone rang. He answered it, and proceeded to carry on a conversation. We stood there waiting and waiting. My husband was ready to leave. I looked at my iPad, and saw that we had been standing there for over five minutes.

As our feet were aching, we decided to seat ourselves. We walked around, found a nice table for two, but it had not been wiped down, or set up, so, I backtracked to the front door, looking for someone to clean the table. By this time, the “host” had finished his conversation, and when another server offered to help, the “host” said that he was ready to help us now. By this time, we had been inside for nine minutes, and had no service whatsoever. I told him that usually in restaurants, customers come before phone calls, and he told me that he had been on the phone for a few seconds. Oh please. Apologize, or try to make it up, instead of taking us for jerks.

So, finally, we were seated. We ordered two local draught beers, and they came in lovely, chilled glasses. I ordered the New England Clam Chowder, which I love so much, I eat it every day when we are in Boston. My husband had the Filet Tip Sandwich. He does not like sweet potatoes fries, but I wanted some, so he ordered those as a side. He absolutely loved his lunch. The meat was so tender, and he ate almost all those fries leaving little for me. This review is getting two dots because of the food. It was delicious, and perfect. (Otherwise, it would have been one dot.)

I eat so much clam chowder, and almost ALWAYS it comes with oyster crackers, or saltine crackers. On rare occasions, it will come with thin bread slices. Here (as delicious as it was), it came with nothing. The “host” was now our server, and I asked him, if I could have two thin slices of bread. He came back five minutes later with birthday cake slices of some sort of corn bread with melted cheese on top. These “cake” slices did not even fit on one plate, and were brought out on two individual plates. I was horrified when I saw this, and I don't understand how these were sent out of the kitchen. They were totally unsuitable to eat with clam chowder. I sent one back, took a few nibbles from the other slice, and, after seeing how this ruined the taste of the excellent clam chowder, left it all.

When we received the bill, I saw that we were charged $2.00 for this “bread” I didn’t want, and had not ordered. When I asked him, he told me that was the only “bread” they had, and I had asked for bread. Well, then, how come my husband’s sandwich came on normal bread? Josephine’s serves breakfast, so please, do not tell me that there is no other bread.

If not for this truly bad (and somewhat arrogant) service, I would have rated this restaurant at five “stars”. The atmosphere is delightful, and the food was faultless. Since we’ll be here for a week, we would have gone back, but we won’t.

6  Thank NYU62
Flagstaff_AZTonyc, Manager at Josephine's Modern American Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2018

Hi, while we are glad that you loved the food, we are so sorry that you experienced unacceptable customer service. Please rest assured that this will be addressed so that it does not happen again in the future. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and we do hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 6, 2018

I think I reviewed this lovely restaurant before. But will say it again. An historic setting with a diverse and excellent menu, wonderful service, delicious food and drink. One of my go to places. Don't miss it or you'll regret it..

Date of visit: July 2018