“Don't go on a holiday”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fine
Description: we are updating our summer hours Monday thru Friday Lunch from 11:00-2:30 P.M Saturday and Sunday Brunch from 9- 2:00 P.M Monday thru Thursday Dinner from 5- 9:00 P.M and Sat and Sunday Dinner from 5-9:30 P.M thank you so much
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We went for Thanksgiving dinner. When we arrived ten minutes prior to our 6:30 reservation, they were slammed. Okay, I get that; it’s Thanksgiving. But the entry way is the size of a closet and there was no place to stand. You could hardly get to the hostess (who was pretty useless, by the way). They had a nice patio and porch with heaters and tables, but none of the heaters were lit. It was impossible to sit on the because the tables and floor area were stacked with stuff—supplies, racks of glasses (were they going to use those for service?)—as if they didn’t have enough storage in the restaurant. When you have 20 or more people standing around and crammed into a five by eight lobby, why not make a welcoming area for people to wait? When we told the hostess our reservation was at 6:30, she said she couldn’t find it, but that it didn’t matter. At this point we saw that dinner was a buffet. The menu posted on the website did not say dinner was a buffet. It had a number of choices for appetizer, entrée and dessert and I assumed you would get to choose your appetizer, entrée, etc. My bad, but we would not have come if I knew dinner was buffet style. When we were seated at 6:45 (the hostess asked “do you want to eat here or not?), I began to wonder if there was wait staff or if we were just supposed to go through the buffet. Finally, someone came by and we got up to go through the line. There were no plates; a customer in line said “there are a stack over there” (about ten feet away). We didn’t get past the limp green salad, spinach salad with hunks of egg (and I mean hunks), before deciding to leave. When I looked down the line, several chafing dishes were nearly empty. Our son, who is in the restaurant business, said he was turned off immediately after looking into the kitchen. They were stacking prepared food on the counter right in the entry way where tons of people were standing. I could have reached over to take a bite. I understand the unexpected can occur, but I am always amazed by restaurants that are totally overwhelmed by a busy night (however, bad service seems to be a theme here if you read other reviews). If a restaurant is going to be open for a holiday, they should make sure they have enough staff to handle patrons and space reservations are far enough apart. I can’t now and probably won’t ever be able to review the food. We won’t be back, which is a shame because we were really looking forward to dining here.

2  Thank PhoenixRobin
There are newer reviews for Josephine's Modern American Bistro

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We had Thanksgiving dinner, the food and service, bot were excellent.
They had a buffet service with all organic salads, wild salmon, free range turkey, organic vegetables.
Our waitress Chiara, was very attentive and courteous, as busy as they were, she had the time to come by our table to make sure we didn't need anything.
I could not ask for a better Thankgiving dinner

1  Thank mountaintraveler2010
Reviewed November 22, 2012

In Flag for a college visit - made reservations at Josephine's - no regrets!! They did not describe it as a buffet - but it was frequently refreshed and very well done!! Great variety of foods, and although it was very busy, the service was attentive and we were checked on numerous times. I would definitely come back here again - great building - nice wine list, and totally gastrominique food choices.

2  Thank agbowden
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was my first time having dinner at Josephine's. It was every bit as good as I expected. We each ate off the special $25 fixed price menu. My dinner include a shrimp taco appetizer unlike any other I have had. My dinner was a petite filet mignon on a bed of vegetables with some kind of demi glaze sauce. Normally I don't eat veg at all. For this dinner I ate everything, loved it. The menu also included a mexican chocolate torte. For $5 more, it included a glass of wine and a glass of port. My wife had a soup, a chicken pie, and the same dessert. She raved about her meal as well. I would gladly return here anytime. Lunch is very good as well.

1  Thank scubadogArizona
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We were surprised to find such gourmet food in a small town like Flagstaff. If you are visiting you ought to try it out for dinner or lunch. Their dessert selection is superb and the coffee was reminding me of my trips to Italy.

1  Thank MindYourTravel

Been to Josephine's Modern American Bistro? Share your experiences!