“Relaxing Stay in Flagstaff”

Highland Country Inn
Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Chandler, Arizona
“Relaxing Stay in Flagstaff”
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We just got back from a couple of days in northern Arizona. We were only able to stay one night but it was a very relaxing visit. The Highland Country Inn was very clean and quiet even though there were many guests. We were able to check in a little early which was very nice. The sheets and towels were clean with no stains. The floor was spotless and the bathroom was clean and everything worked as it should. The two queen beds were very comfortable. We will stay here again when we return to Flagstaff.

• Liked — Clean and quiet
1 Thank Coolerweather

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Castelldefels, Spain
Reviewed August 21, 2008

I stayed here for one night at the beginning of August because I thought Flagstaff was very near Grand Canyon entrance and once there I wish I had stayed in Williams, which is lovely.The motel is fine and very cheap. You must visit Sedona for dinner and see the sunset there.

• Liked — nice cheap room
  • Disliked — too far from Grand Canyon entrance
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Stayed here on the nights of 8/15/08 and 8/16/08.

We were taking a weekend trip to the Grand Canyon. We wanted to stay in Williams, AZ, which is closer to the Grand Canyon, but there were no vacancies within our price range. So, staying in Flagstaff had to suffice.

First point: Price we paid was $$90/night, which is quite a bit higher than many who have left reviews in TripAdvisor. Possibly this was due to our staying on a Friday and Saturday night. Having now been to Flagstaff and seen how many hotels are on every street, I think there must be better hotels around for $90/night. However, I did not know how to find them online!!

Second point: Distance from the Grand Canyon was a bit far. We drove about 90 minutes to get to the Canyon. It was a pleasant drive through beautiful pines and scenery, but staying in Williams would have decreased our travel time to the Canyon in half or more.

Third point: The hotel itself was ok. VERY minimalistic. It was generally clean. ALTHOUGH, I did think the bedding was gross. The sheets were clean and fine, but the blankets were gross and had holes in them.

Fourth point: The walls are pretty thin so you'll hear your neighbors. We had neighbors that would stand out on the porch to smoke and talk at night and it was so annoying. Keep in mind that I am reviewing the HOTEL and not the patrons. However, I do think that cheap hotels attract this type of patron: loud, obnoxious, and discourteous.

Last point: I would suggest pricing some other hotels in Flagstaff before booking at Highland Country. I might suggest checking out the Drury Inn across the street (it looks nicer from my view here and I just got online and it was priced the exact same for next weekend as I paid for this weekend). Use google maps to find other options. Drill down into a google map pretty close so that only a few streets are visible on your screen then search "hotels" and check out some of the hits you get that way. If you show the entire city of Flagstaff in your screen when searching "hotels" you won't pull up a lot of the options.

Good luck!

2 Thank gng007
Kansas City
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Just finished a 3,000 mile SW US motorcycle trip.Stayed here based on the reviews I read.This is an outstanding value. Most motels in this price range(paid $66 total room + tax) scare me. This property is mint clean with everything working and is with a fridge and microwave(I never use them but it's still nice to have the option). If you want a good value find in Flagstaff, this is it!!

• Liked — Price Value
  • Disliked — No Pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Chester
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We have been travelling the south west US for the last 3 weeks, and this hotel was better than expected. Many hotels in flagstaff appear to suffer from train noise, based on the reviews. This one was fairly quite and although the trains could be heard, they were not intrusive. The hotel was clean and had fridge and microwave.
It takes about 5 mins to walk to the old town which cannot be said for many of the flagstaff hotels. For the price excellent.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Tempe, AZ
Reviewed June 14, 2008

I stopped over in Flagstaff on my way back to Tempe from hiking Havasupai so I could visit the Lowell Observatory. The Highland Country Inn surpassed my expectations based on the price and type of property.

As a single traveler, the Pros: The room (#111) was very clean, smelled good and had newer carpet and furnishings. The bathroom was adequate; the shower was good and didn’t lack hot water and the towels were average, but okay. The bed was comfortable and was outfitted with good linens. The room had a refrigerator, small microwave, TV and high-speed internet access (although I did not use). And if on the 1st floor it’s very easy to bring in travel bags because you park outside your room.

Cons: The pillows were flat and not very good/comfortable, the noise level of the road wasn’t too loud (the hotel is set off Milton a few yards or so. I could hear footsteps above and running water from the adjacent room (not sure if above or beside). However, when traveling, I wear earplugs so each of these was of no consequence.

Neutral issues: The soap and shampoo were miniature sized but adequate. Rooms have outside entrances, so that may concern some.

Summary: All in all, this is a decent accommodation for a brief stay and I will visit again when in town.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — The pillows
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Seminole, FL
Reviewed June 10, 2008

My wife and kids and I rolled into Flagstaff on the evening of June 9th and needed a place to stay. This property has better than average beds, better than average linens and is exceptionally clean for an independent motel. We paid $54 (AAA rate) and were very satisfied.

• Liked — Cleanliness and value
  • Disliked — No pool.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family