“will never return”

Ranked #4 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
New River, Arizona
“will never return”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I were given 2 nights free at the hotel. First - the positive.... the room was nice. Many amenities. Very clean. Very new (obviously). Comfortable beds. "K" cup coffee in the room. Complimentary water. etc. The staff at the hotel and casino were (mostly) professional and polite. Many were even enthusiastic. The casino was clean and well laid out with colorful and fun looking slots. The atmosphere was clean and well ventilated. If you don't smoke (we don't) you would almost think you were in a smoke free building. On the surface, the situation was top notch. 5-Star!! Now for the bad (and to me these are a game killer)........ By a factor of ten, the slots were the tightest I have ever experienced!! I put 14 $100 bills through probably 20 or 30 slot machines in one short evening with the same result on each machine; Pull after pull after pull... mostly "0" on the win meter. What kept me going was the incorrect expectation in my pea brain that all slot machines, eventually, will pay something. If played long enough, you will eventually win something. I'm a realist. I expect to lose when I gamble, but I like to lose slow and to have fun while I am doing it. This evening was no fun. With scarce exceptions, my night was one of zero return. After checking in around 5PM on a Tuesday afternoon, I began playing the slots. With the exception of an hour break for dinner and another hour of play on the Blackjack tables (I actually broke even on Blackjack) I was in my room by midnight down $1400. That is 5 hours of play on $1400. It should be hard to lose that much that fast on mostly penny slots! It wasn't. The second negative, and I only really have 2, was the ridiculous buffet. If a contest were held to design the WORST possible scenario for a casino buffet, I just ate at the grand prize winner. $8.95 for a single trip to the food bar. No limit to what you could take, as long as you did it in one pass. Most everyone I saw, myself included, pushed two trays down the line. Knowing that you are limited to one pass, the tendency is to take one of everything. I literally, and I am ashamed to say it, scraped enough food off my plates into the garbage, after I had engorged myself, to feed a hungry family of 4, twice!! For the same amount of money ($8.95) I would have consumed 1/3 the food if given the opportunity to return to the food bar for seconds on the items I liked. I never waste food at buffets. But knowing that return trips were not an option, I simply took everything I could possibly have wanted more of on my first and only pass. This resulted in my throwing away pounds of uneaten food. As I looked around, nearly everyone was doing the same thing. One young man with a big grin on his face balanced 3 trays on his arms as he left the food bar!! The table bussers were kept busy scraping platefuls of untouched food into the garbage cans. It is an obscene waste of food!!! No other way to call it. To end the story, my wife (who lost $1000, but a little slower than I) and I checked out after only one night, leaving a paid-for free night behind (that has never happened before!). We had had enough! We drove to Cliff Castle Casino on the way home to Phoenix and had 5 or 6 hours of fun playing on $400. Much more like it!!!! I hope Twin Arrows gets it together with looser slots and a less wasteful buffet, but that remains to be seen. Until such time I will caution all of my friends to avoid that casino like the plague. One caveat - if you are only a table-game player you might like this casino - but AVOID THE SLOTS!!! One more small thing - some designer, in his/her wisdom - placed the preferential "low vehicle emissions" parking slots closer to the entrance than the handicapped slots. Please explain the logic????

Room Tip: We had a double queen room and it was nice. I imagine all rooms were equally nice or nicer.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jon f
TwinArrowsAZ, Public Relations Manager at Twin Arrows Navajo Casino Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Jon,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate the positive feedback on the rooms and staff and are sharing your concerns with the slots and buffet with our executive team. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future, if you have additional feedback to share or would be open to us sharing the improvements we continue to make. Email us anytime at TwinArrowsPR@Gmail.com
Thank you again Jon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed for one night and enjoyed it. Casino is beautiful and rooms are superior. All the right touches in the rooms including refrigerator and microwave. Beds are very comfortable. The casino seems to have the right combination of tables and machines. Unique to this casino is that the video poker machines are all located which makes it easy to locate them. The casino does not yet have a license to sell alcohol in the casino but alcohol is available in the restaurants. The machines at the bar are not operational but should be eventually. One negative (mostly growing pains) is that there was only one employe working at the players club. At times there are 20 or 30 people in line. All the staff we met was cordial and helpful - especially the front desk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the construction
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

First, they are still working out the kinks... This being said, the staff is new, but very friendly. We had an amazing time at the Zenith Steakhouse. Spendy, but worth it! The machines are tight, but table games rocked. Amazing fireworks show on the Fourth. Great decor. Give them a chance!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Twin Arrows is on the par with most Las Vegas hotels. Great food, entertainment and atmosphere. There is a huge selection of food. Tons of slot machines which pay quite well and a lot of poker tables. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Prices are comparable with other hotels of the same calibre. The hotel itself, as well as the casino, are beautifully decorated and furnished. Go there!! You will be glad you did!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
TwinArrowsAZ, Public Relations Manager at Twin Arrows Navajo Casino Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Susan, thank you so much for your review. Our team really appreciates such positive feedback and looks forward to your next visit.