“Beautiful Ride”

Historic Hitchin' Post Stables
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We provide horseback and trail riding for the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Arizona area, and if you want to experience the best horses, the best scenery, the best wranglers, than you don't want to miss a day of riding in the Coconino National Forest. This is the largest National Forest in the US, and it has miles of horseback trails with scenic beauty, spectacular views, quiet solitude, and the Arizona Trail is accessible from our stables. 1 Hour Ride = $55; 2 Hour Ride = $100; 3 Hour Ride = $150; 4 Hour Ride = $180; 6 Hour Ride = $240; 8 Hour Ride = $300. Wagon Ride = $45 (children 4 and under ride for FREE). Cowboy Meals: Adult Cowboy Dinner = $40 (Steak or chicken, cowboy baked beans, salad, Texas toast & choice of a drink). Child Cowboy Dinner = $20 (Burgers or hotdogs, cowboy baked beans, salad, Texas toast, & choice of drink). Cowboy Lunch = $20 (burgers or hotdogs, potato salad, choice of drink). Cowboy Breakfast = $10 (bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, juice or coffee). Pack Lunch = $25 (This will go with you on your ride. Choice of sandwich, potato salad, chips and choice of drink).
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Took the two hour ride down to Sandy canyon. The ride was beautiful! The staff was very nice and put safety first. The horses are well taken care of.

There are newer reviews for Historic Hitchin' Post Stables

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had a one hour ride yesterday with a guide (Gabe) from Hitchin' Post Stables. The scenery in the Coconino National Forest was beautiful, and Gabe didn't rush us. He pointed out some historic sites and overall provided the service one would expect. We certainly would consider another ride with this Stable.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We did a 3 hour trail ride here with the wrangler Rebecca and it was worth every dollar , even for me a novice it was a great time and this lady put me at ease . My horse " Rowdy " looked after me so much it was a pleasure to be on him. The ride took us into the vast open countryside near Flagstaff and it was pure bliss to see and hear nature in this way . We stopped for lunch near a cave right deep into a valley half way through the ride , it was wonderfull. This lady is so full of local knowledge and horse sense it made the ride so enjoyable, so Rebecca thanks .. I would recommend these stables for a ride to anyone younr or old ....experienced or novice you cant go wrong . Will definatley go again ...Thanks to all .

Chris and Dave Walsall UK Ride date tuesday september 1st 2013 ...

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I took my 8 year old, who had never been on a horse, out for the 2 hour ride. I had some reservations about taking my daughter out for a ride since I didn't know how she would react or whether she would like it, so initially I thought we'd try the one hour ride. However, after speaking with someone from the stables when I called to schedule, I was convinced that she wouldn't have a bad time and so I went for the two hour ride. I was able to schedule for the next day, and we arrived a bit early. Walked around for a bit and waited for others to arrive. Folks here were friendly, but busy working the stables until it was time to go. I didn't know what to expect, but I was grateful that the horses were calm and knew where to go and what to do. It was a wonderful experience. We immediately rode into the forest and began to descend into the base of a small canyon, going through switchbacks to get down. The horses knew exactly where to go and were careful with their footing (the trail was quite narrow in parts and I was surprised at how out of the way it all seemed). It was cool and peaceful and there was lots to see and enjoy. I'm so glad we did the two hour ride. I look forward to doing it again and perhaps taking a longer ride the next time. My daughter loved it and I was so glad I was able to share this experience with her and make a wonderful memory.

One thing to note - the guides work for tips, and I think it is expected that they will be tipped, which didn't bother me in the least given the enjoyment of the ride and the amount of work that goes into preparing the horses and caring for them prior to and after our ride. I noticed that after the ride, folks in our group just left and didn't give a tip. I was quite surprised - particularly since a number of the other riders had gotten a Groupon discount for their ride - so it was already a deal for them (wish I'd found that Groupon, let me tell you). Please remember to tip your guides, they make it a really enjoyable experience and the time they spend on the actual ride is just a portion of the time it really takes for them to prepare your ride and then care for the horses afterward.

I would highly recommend this stables and plan to visit again when we next head up to Flagstaff.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had a very nice 2 hour trail ride. Mike was a great guide and made sure that all in the party got equal attention.