“A beautiful ride and a fun time”

Historic Hitchin' Post Stables
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We provide horseback and trail riding for the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Arizona area, and if you want to experience the best horses, the best scenery, the best wranglers, than you don't want to miss a day of riding in the Coconino National Forest. This is the largest National Forest in the US, and it has miles of horseback trails with scenic beauty, spectacular views, quiet solitude, and the Arizona Trail is accessible from our stables. 1 Hour Ride = $55; 2 Hour Ride = $100; 3 Hour Ride = $150; 4 Hour Ride = $180; 6 Hour Ride = $240; 8 Hour Ride = $300. Wagon Ride = $45 (children 4 and under ride for FREE). Cowboy Meals: Adult Cowboy Dinner = $40 (Steak or chicken, cowboy baked beans, salad, Texas toast & choice of a drink). Child Cowboy Dinner = $20 (Burgers or hotdogs, cowboy baked beans, salad, Texas toast, & choice of drink). Cowboy Lunch = $20 (burgers or hotdogs, potato salad, choice of drink). Cowboy Breakfast = $10 (bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, juice or coffee). Pack Lunch = $25 (This will go with you on your ride. Choice of sandwich, potato salad, chips and choice of drink).
Flagstaff, Arizona
“A beautiful ride and a fun time”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I did a 2 hour ride via a recent LivingSocial coupon. We were the only two on our tour, and we had a great time! Our wrangler made us feel very comfortable, as it had been a long time since we had ridden horses, making sure everything was adjusted properly on the saddles for best fit.

We had a lot of fun conversation, the weather was perfect, and it was such a relaxing and beautiful way to spend a few hours on the weekend. Definitely recommend it to anyone looking to take in some of Flag's nature in a different way and just kick back.

Westminster
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“could have been better”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Took a 1 hour tour. Greeted by Steve who seemed to have a chip on his shoulder. Very condescending towards other guide John. Thank God John was our guide, much friendlier. Don't know if it's the policy of the business but we were asked to give a tip even prior to riding. Does anyone know the meaning and purpose of a tip? It's not a given. My horse kicked unexpectedly when guide went behind her to help my child out who was riding a donkey. (Not sure why my son got a donkey when we wanted to go horseback riding.) The kick was not a pleasant experience. Also, I specifically told them I only wanted to walk, but our horses trotted intermittently to keep up with guide. Guide said it was his first time on that horse. Not reassuring words when you have children who are first time riders. We gave a $10.00 tip but it felt more like an obligation than reward. Would not go there again mainly because of staff.

2 Thank TE C
charlottesville
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great 3hr ride”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Great views, great ride and friendly staff. The ride can be a bit challenging at times but what a thrill to ride single track.

Visited March 2013
Whittier, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Nice ride, good wranglers, bad managers.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Booked a 2-hour horseback ride for my family (four of us). When we arrived, my wife in particular was a little nervous about riding, especially for 2 hours. The wranglers were very understanding and agreed with my assessment that we should cut our 2 hour ride to 1 hour. Although, it was my idea to reduce the tour to 1 hour there was no one available to inquire about a discount let alone the possibility of getting a refund. I would be more understanding of having to concede payment for the 2 hour tour, but we were the last tour of the day, and it was only my family and I. Note: at the time of the reservation, full payment was taken from my credit card, so buyer beware. I would not choose this outfit again due to the cost I incurred. 1 hour of fun is not worth $400 (with tip - wranglers were good). My information was taken, and I was told they would be in contact with me, but they didn't contact me (it was implied, they likely weren't anyway).

1 Thank Angel M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Giddy-up”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Reservations by phone were easy and professional. Went to Hitchin' Post Stables with my daughter for a four hour ride. We saddled up Storm and Cloud. A Saddle bag held our lunch and waters. Our guide made sure we were safe, adjusting saddles as needed, and waiting for a slower horse to catch up. Travis had a great sense of humor, which made for a light hearted and fun ride.

The scenery on the trail was beautiful. We stopped at Fisher Point Overlook for a break, and a photo of the trails below.

Hitchin Post Stables has a good website, with links to rates. They offer horse back rides and sleigh rides in the winter. Riders can choose from 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8 hour rides.

Glad we went. Would do it again.

Visited March 2013