“Not bad but there are issues...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
Jake's on the Green
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Nothern AZ
“Not bad but there are issues...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

There are many that live in the area and have been coming to this place for some time however things have taken a turn for the worse. The Food overall is good and sometimes very good but once in a while things go wrong.

First, in this year's newsletter put out by the country club it was stated by the owners of the restaurant that "do to the increase in the cost of food" rather than raise prices they would just not honor the discount of the club members anymore. Great, so the hurt only affects those who live nearby and have no choice but to have a membership to the club.

Second, some, two in particular,of the bartenders have attitude that needs to go. I am not impressed watching a person text on their phone or just in general have a bad attitude when people are wanting to be served.

Frankly I don't know if this place will last for the long term given some of the lack of attention to details and issues with consistent quality.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Satphone

Flagstaff, Arizona
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is a restaurant at a golf course. My understanding is that when the golf course is closed business is very very slow. The facitiliy is huge. Three separate seating areas not counting outside. The main dining room is EXTREMELY cold during the winter. DO NOT sit near the large picture windows. Adequate parking.

My most recent visit was in the middle of the afternoon not during golf season. The place was almost deserted. One of the wait people was a college kid who looked like he had just rolled out of bed and had been sleeping in his clothes. He was a mess.

The service was ok. Certainly nothing to rave about but it was ok. Maybe a bit below average but when you really would rather be in bed I suppose it was as good as it could get.

The food was average. Certainly nothing special.

Judging from the conversation at the bar between the waiters, it sounded like the place was a big volume business during golf season. Maybe the food and service is better than. Or, maybe, if you are golfing there it is just easier to eat there than go somewhere else.

Flagstaff has a lot of very nice restaurants. This isn't one of them. If you are golfing there then maybe but certainly I would not go there for any other reason.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank klw22001
Flagstaff, Arizona
“A rebuttal to the previous review-this is a good place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I feel compelled to comment on this restaurant. It is part of a golf course clubhouse and I purchased a home in the neighborhood about five months ago and have eaten here several times, the first time when the realtor took me to lunch. I have had excellent breakfasts here ( which are served only on weekends ) and delicious dinners, at reasonable prices. The previous reviewer only complained about the service, not saying anything one way or the other about the food. The issues he had with the service would annoy me, too, but what I have received at Jake's has always been very friendly.
I was having dinner there this evening and spoke to the owner and told him I was going to write a review of rebuttal. I did make a comment that since he does not staff a hostess during the slower months, I find it a little disconcerting to arrive in a nice restaurant and see a sign directing me to seat myself. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal tonight: a martini, Caesar salad, baked rockfish with crabmeat, and a cognac. I have also enjoyed excellent prime rib and the breakfast burrito I had last week was the best I ever had of that dish.
I feel fortunate to have moved into this neighborhood and have a good restaurant ( with a view ) within walking distance.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sapo60
“Count your change”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Have eaten approximately 5 times. Service is abysmal, have to go inside to get someone to wait on me on every occasion. Twice I have been shortchanged, the last time I challenged the waiter on this and he said "well most people just let me keep it".
If you must eat there, be prepared to wait for service and be sure to count your change.

• Visited August 2012