“The Phoenix Suns of Mexican food, Looks and feels good but disappointing...”
Review of El Charro Cafe - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Dining options: Seating
Dining options: Seating
Flagstaff, Arizona
“The Phoenix Suns of Mexican food, Looks and feels good but disappointing...”
Reviewed June 25, 2011

The people at this restaurant had to be some of the nicest people I have ever encountered at a restaurant. The service was amazing… Unfortunately I don’t know anyone that goes to restaurants for service… The food tasted horrible. I feel like the cook owes me an apology. It wasn’t just me everyone else I was with didn’t like the food they received. I will never come back and just thinking about the food makes me want to puke. It’s not good. But the service was great, the people were very polite.

• Visited June 2011

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Good Arizona Mexican food that we really enjoyed.”
Reviewed April 15, 2011

I used to go to El Charro when I was a kid when we would spend summers in Flagstaff. The food was as good as I remembered and the service was tops. We were there in the middle of the afternoon when the owner's family was eating but they still brought our food quickly and refilled our drinks and the chips. The waitress brought a pitcher of iced tea and extra Pepsi so we could help ourselves. Servings were large but we slicked up every morsel. Good sopapillas.

• Visited April 2011
Arizona
“Amazed at these comments...”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

For being right north of a college campus, they sure are expensive. Sure, it's sit down and full service (if they feel like giving service to you at all). The atmosphere that of any typical mexican restaurant with beer banners, murals, and bright colors everywhere. The menu is the same...any boring thing you could find on any menu in any mexican restaurant anywhere.

They charge too much for horchata that is not even homemade. It comes watery and flavorless out of a soda spigot.

Overall, it's just all too typical. If you're looking for more than average mexican food, I would look elsewhere.

1 Thank EFranklin
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Excellent local food. One of the original Mexican restaurants in Flagstaff. Located near the university.”
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
az
“Authentic...my [---]!”
Reviewed March 11, 2008

Authentic setting and high priced menu items made me think that the food would be "REAL" mexican food. The highly priced food that was not flavorful. Chips were stale, and even the salsa was weak. The only authentic items were nicely decorated on the walls.