“Highly Rated Mexican Restaurant Delivers!”

La Fonda Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #56 of 339 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Phoenix, Arizona
“Highly Rated Mexican Restaurant Delivers!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

One of the top-rated Mexican restaurants in Flagstaff, we had to try it out and went there for lunch. We got there around 12:30pm on a Monday. It was very busy, and it was hard to find a parking spot, but fortunately there was not as long a wait as we'd heard from friends who recommended it (they said to expect over an hour wait to be seated).

Classic mexican restaurant decorations and dining area. Lots of activity, with servers rushing around and people everywhere. But, things moved quickly and we were seated after about 10 minutes. The waitress showed up quickly, gave us menus and took our orders. Lots of selections that all sounded great. We ordered fajitas and tamales, along with a fish taco and bean tostado sides. All were traditional fare, but very good.

The waitress came around several times to asked if all was great. It was. Finally, they brought piping hot sopapillas (deep fried puffed bread, served with honey)--excellent wrap up to a great meal. All in all, a great meal and obviously very popular due to all of the traffic and lack of parking. We recommend!

• Visited July 2013

Flagstaff, Arizona
“Food is Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

For Flagstaff this is the closest to authentic Mexican food I have found. The food and cost is good, but the atmosphere of the restaurant needs a renovation and updating.

Visited July 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
“My favorite mexican food restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is by far my favorite mexican food restaurant. Each time I go to Flagstaff I make a point of eating here. I love the green chili. I haven't been able to find another restaurant that makes it quite like this!

• Visited April 2013
“After 10 years, the food was as good as always.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I haven't been here for 10 years. But I frequented La Fonda when I lived here. The food was still as good as ever! Our waiter was friendly, and very attentive. When we walked in I told them we had a party of 8. He asked if we were all there. No, my brother-in-law was on his way. I was originally told they couldn't seat us until everyone was there. I told him we would be ordering for him, so they reluctantly sat us. It was obvious that the young man did not want to break the policy. I can understand if there was only 1 and we were waiting on 7, but come on... But no matter how much the host rubbed me the wrong way, the waiter and food made up for it!

• Visited May 2013
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Real Sonoran Mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

After being in Houston for a year we were looking forward to some real Sonoran… La Fonda did not disappoint. To start, we got the basket of chips. There is hot sauce on the table, but make sure to ask for the hot salsa, yumeee.

The service is absolutely superb as was the food. Large portions, real enchilada sauce, everything is obviously freshly made, and is perfect! The shredded beef and chicken are maybe the best we have ever had. You will not leave hungry or disappointed.

This is Diners, Drive in, and Dives material for sure! We will go back often for this fantastic food and service.

• Visited May 2013