“Terrific!!”
Review of The Cottage

The Cottage
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cottage is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 354 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: South Humphreys
Description: Welcome to The Cottage, formerly The Cottage Place. Join Chef Scott Heinonen and his team for farmhouse bistro cuisine inspired by the flavors of the French countryside.  ​ After 6 weeks of refreshing renovations, we are officially open for dinner and are currently accepting reservations. The Cottage Chef Owner Scott Heinonen is a graduate from the School of Hotel and Restaurant Management at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, Arizona. Over the past 30 years, Heinonen has cooked throughout the Southwest, Pacific Northwest and Northern California. He has also completed numerous continuing education courses at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in Napa Valley. A highlight of this time was his stint as a private chef for Sir Paul McCartney and Heather Mills. ​ Returning to Flagstaff in 2005, Heinonen was the opening chef of the popular Cuvee 928 Wine Bar & Cafe, where his cooking was met with rave reviews and created a culinary buzz with local gourmands. Following this time at Cuvee, Heinonen fulfilled a lifelong goal of operating his own restaurant. Tinderbox Kitchen opened in May of 2009, leading the culinary resurgence of Flagstaff and San Francisco Street’s “Southside.” Heinonen’s concept of “American Comfort Food Redefined” quickly made Tinderbox a regional favorite, garnering numerous accolades and creating an stellar reputation statewide. ​ 2017 brings a new culinary chapter for Heinonen with the opening of The Cottage, formerly the Cottage Place. He has transformed this long time, Flagstaff fine dining restaurant into a stylish farmhouse French bistro, which opened April 23, 2017 for dinner service. ​ The Cottage cuisine reflects the regional country dishes of France, interpreted with Heinonen’s modern sensibility, incorporating locally sourced ingredients. Chef Heinonen’s culinary passion is deeply rooted in cooking with the seasons and the ever-changing menu of The Cottage will emanate this philosophy. Diners can look forward to exploring French cuisine prepared with heart and soul.
Reviewed December 26, 2008

This is truly a 5-Star resturant with 5-Star service. I did a on-line search for a Fine Dining experience and I'm glad I chose "The Cottage Place", our waitress Tricia was un-believable and the 2 lady's that help her made our dining experience terrific. The took care of us like we were royalty. It was Romantic, Fun, just a great time with fabulous food, I would mess with Tricia cause each and everytime I used a fork or knife she would replace it with a clean one. To everyone at "The Cottage Place" thanks so much for making memories that will last a life time. Sincerely, Randy L. Cole and Melissa Hughs

P.S.
If you don't have a great time, maybe take a look at yourself.

1  Thank Supergrade7mm

Reviewed July 12, 2008

For my wife's 40th birthday we went to Flagstaff to enjoy the cooler weather and the ambiance of the "hippie" town of Flagstaff. Both of us anticipated The Cottage as a great little place that would hopefully remind us of Quiessence in Phoenix. An out of the way, homey little place with great food. We were disappointed. Considering the price of their menu and their ambiance, we dressed up for the occasion - myself in a suit, and my wife in a dress. Upon arrival we realized that this place was more of a t-shirt and shorts type of place considering the crowd at 8pm on a Friday night - only one other couple (in their 80's) were dressed up. Point- they do not have a sommlier, only their wait staff suggests wine (up to over $200 a bottle). My suggestion, get a real sommlier at these prices. Although the wine was not bad, this was the best of the environment.
Food was rich and heavy, old-fashioned, too much - so 1980 on the food. I think the chef needs to revamp the entire menu and come up with some GOOD food rather than trying to overcome their shortcomings with overpriced food.

As an example, I have had a meal at McDonalds that (in a great McDonalds) was put together nicely and tasted better than what I was served.

You could put together a great restaurant in Flagstaff and if you did it right, blow away ALL of the competition (from what I have seen).

Cheese plate was a waste, salad was not all of that, and entree was something that left a LOT to be desired. To demonstrate, we spent over $200 and left probably 70% of our entree untouched and left!

Wasted night, disappointment on quality of food and establishment.

Side note: (This is not to be construed as the reason for this bad review please!) -
The chef came out at one point and talked to every patron in the establishment in our vicinity and then skipped us and went back into the kitchen. As I could not discuss the shortcomings of the restaurant with the owner/chef, I can only assume that he was intimidated by our dress and would not engage us for fear of being reprimanded for his poor food.

Go ahead and slam my review if you like, but this is an honest review placed by an honest patron of the restaurant.

I will not visit this establishment again, and would highly recommend to my friends and family that they avoid this place.

Good luck in your travels.

PS - This review was for the night of 7/11/2008 and we had reservations.

7  Thank cjonwardell
Reviewed January 26, 2008

Perfect for a special occasion, this is a small place with superb food and outstanding service. My girlfriend and I, on our anniversary night, went with the Chateaubriand for Two (tenderloin) and were very impressive with the tenderness of the meat, and flavors of the vegetables and potatoes. Two different sauces also came separately with the meal, and both were fabulously rich and creamy. The hungarian mushroom soup was very tasty as well. I have never been treated so well at a restaurant (the waiter actually put my girlfriend's coat on her after dinner). Very impressed with the food and service. The total bill with a tip came to $115. While it's not cheap, it is worth every penny, and the memories are irreplaceable.

2  Thank JMS88
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed January 15, 2008

Best Meal in Flag

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 15, 2008

Amazing food, service is phenomenal!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to The Cottage? Share your experiences!