“Great food, pleasant surroundings, attentive waitstaff”
Review of The Cottage

The Cottage
Ranked #18 of 347 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: South Humphreys
Description: Welcome to The Cottage, formerly The Cottage Place. Join Chef Scott Heinonen and his team for farmhouse bistro cuisine inspired by the flavors of the French countryside. ​ After 6 weeks of refreshing renovations, we are officially open for dinner and are currently accepting reservations. The Cottage Chef Owner Scott Heinonen is a graduate from the School of Hotel and Restaurant Management at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, Arizona. Over the past 30 years, Heinonen has cooked throughout the Southwest, Pacific Northwest and Northern California. He has also completed numerous continuing education courses at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in Napa Valley. A highlight of this time was his stint as a private chef for Sir Paul McCartney and Heather Mills. ​ Returning to Flagstaff in 2005, Heinonen was the opening chef of the popular Cuvee 928 Wine Bar & Cafe, where his cooking was met with rave reviews and created a culinary buzz with local gourmands. Following this time at Cuvee, Heinonen fulfilled a lifelong goal of operating his own restaurant. Tinderbox Kitchen opened in May of 2009, leading the culinary resurgence of Flagstaff and San Francisco Street’s “Southside.” Heinonen’s concept of “American Comfort Food Redefined” quickly made Tinderbox a regional favorite, garnering numerous accolades and creating an stellar reputation statewide. ​ 2017 brings a new culinary chapter for Heinonen with the opening of The Cottage, formerly the Cottage Place. He has transformed this long time, Flagstaff fine dining restaurant into a stylish farmhouse French bistro, which opened April 23, 2017 for dinner service. ​ The Cottage cuisine reflects the regional country dishes of France, interpreted with Heinonen’s modern sensibility, incorporating locally sourced ingredients. Chef Heinonen’s culinary passion is deeply rooted in cooking with the seasons and the ever-changing menu of The Cottage will emanate this philosophy. Diners can look forward to exploring French cuisine prepared with heart and soul.
Tucson
“Great food, pleasant surroundings, attentive waitstaff”
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Cottage Pace has it all. The setting is a beautifully redone residence in a residential neighborhood. Cozy inside, we opted for the patio because of the great Flagstaff weather. The service was pleasant, attentive, and professional. We ordered the rack of lamb for two which was eighty dollars but included soup and salad which were both extraordinary. The lamb was done medium rare as requested and was tender and flavorful. It was served with a variety of vegetables including heirloom carrots, broccolini, and a stuffed tomato. Also included was a serving of delicious au gratin potatoes. A wonderful presentation and selection of food. This is definitely worth your time and money.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank AZRPM

Phoenix, Arizona
“Best Filet, Excellent Service”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We went to the Cottage Place and my father had the best filet he's ever had. My mother had an excellent tenderloin. I ordered a linguine pasta with tomato basil cream sauce. Absolutely amazing!!!
Service is awesome and the owner makes everything fresh from the back.

Prescott, Arizona
“Excellent!”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Small but very nice with 5 star food and service. Eldon was our server and was very attentive and made sure we had a wonderful evening. Try the appetizer sampler to get a taste of all of the best dishes. I love duck, but am particular about the way it's cooked.; medium on the inside with a slight crisp on the outside. The chef nailed it! Our table thoroughly enjoyed all of their meals. This chef really knows how to make sauces to compliment every meal. Great wine selection.

• Visited July 2014
Ann Arbor, MI
“Stellar professionalism (other than the chef's pants :-) )”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

During my stay in Flagstaff, I had the opportunity to dine at six restaurants, some very good, others less so. My experience at Cottage Place, from the moment I called to place the reservation until savoring that last morsel of dessert, was outstanding and the highlight of my culinary exploration in Arizona.

Let's start with the reservation: not only did the person who took my reservation not drop the friendly tone as so often happens when I note that I am dining solo, she actually introduced herself and engaged in conversation. She appeared genuinely interested in my reason for spending time in Flagstaff (hiking in Grand Canyon and Sedona) and shared her own love of hiking with me. She even offered a hiking recommendation or two and encouraged me to talk further with her once I came to the restaurant. While she may not have "had me at hello" -- the line made famous in the movie "Jerry McGuire" -- she certainly sparked my interest in dining at Cottage Place. My interest was thoroughly rewarded with highly professional service, a superb meal, and a visit to the table from chef Frank (in white smock and the ugliest pants this side of Justin Bieber.)

Cottage Place Restaurant, as the name suggests, resides in a beautifully restored and maintained cottage home. The interior is as attractive as the exterior, with elegant traditional decor that effectively creates the sensation of dining in someone's home -- albeit with multiple, well-spaced and positioned tables. Upon entering, I was greeted warmly and seated without delay at my appointed reservation time. Table service was prompt, courteous and professional. And each element of my meal was expertly cooked.

First came the featured wine, a delicious California blend. Then came the bread, a crusty, tasty rye bread with herbed butter. (While restaurant quality varied greatly among the restaurants I sampled in Flagstaff, the many different breads were terrific in every restaurant.) My entree, a grilled steelhead trout with tomatillo sauce and accompanied by heirloom carrots and saffron rice, was perfect in preparation and presentation. Rarely tempted by dessert, I succumbed and ordered the silk pie. Smooth, balanced and elegant -- words I also would use to describe the waitstaff, now that I think of it -- this silk pie glided off the fork and delivered wonderful, creamy flavor.

I have a deep appreciation for restaurants run by mature, experienced professionals who understand that every aspect of the dining experience should be tended to with knowledge and care. That approach only develops through time spent in the business -- and it is that lack of time spent working (and working oneself up through the ranks) that undermines the efforts of the 20-something "entrepreneurial" set who are opening poorly run trendy spots with hipster vibe (and waitstaffs) in every city. Learn the business first, please. Clearly the owner/chef at Cottage Place has done just that!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank bigcitydiner
maryland
“wow”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Recent one night stay in Flagstaff and had heard about this place. Next to last night on a 10 day tour of Arizona , including eating at many fine restaurants. The chef/owner and his staff get it right here. My wife , 17 year old daughter and I enjoyed a fabulous experience.

Greeted and seated promptly for our reservation. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. The food from mini crab cake starters (we are from Maryland) through dessert was beyond awesome. The chef is here cooking and meeting with his obviously valued customers.

A really fairly priced wine list , a great atmosphere, what else could one want. I know- to return on my next visit in the area. Old school places like this need to be recognized and appreciated.

Visited June 2014