“Charming Restaurant with Eclectic Menu”
Review of The Cottage

The Cottage
Ranked #21 of 351 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: South Humphreys
Description: Welcome to The Cottage, formerly The Cottage Place. Join Chef Scott Heinonen and his team for farmhouse bistro cuisine inspired by the flavors of the French countryside.  ​ After 6 weeks of refreshing renovations, we are officially open for dinner and are currently accepting reservations. The Cottage Chef Owner Scott Heinonen is a graduate from the School of Hotel and Restaurant Management at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, Arizona. Over the past 30 years, Heinonen has cooked throughout the Southwest, Pacific Northwest and Northern California. He has also completed numerous continuing education courses at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in Napa Valley. A highlight of this time was his stint as a private chef for Sir Paul McCartney and Heather Mills. ​ Returning to Flagstaff in 2005, Heinonen was the opening chef of the popular Cuvee 928 Wine Bar & Cafe, where his cooking was met with rave reviews and created a culinary buzz with local gourmands. Following this time at Cuvee, Heinonen fulfilled a lifelong goal of operating his own restaurant. Tinderbox Kitchen opened in May of 2009, leading the culinary resurgence of Flagstaff and San Francisco Street’s “Southside.” Heinonen’s concept of “American Comfort Food Redefined” quickly made Tinderbox a regional favorite, garnering numerous accolades and creating an stellar reputation statewide. ​ 2017 brings a new culinary chapter for Heinonen with the opening of The Cottage, formerly the Cottage Place. He has transformed this long time, Flagstaff fine dining restaurant into a stylish farmhouse French bistro, which opened April 23, 2017 for dinner service. ​ The Cottage cuisine reflects the regional country dishes of France, interpreted with Heinonen’s modern sensibility, incorporating locally sourced ingredients. Chef Heinonen’s culinary passion is deeply rooted in cooking with the seasons and the ever-changing menu of The Cottage will emanate this philosophy. Diners can look forward to exploring French cuisine prepared with heart and soul.
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Lovely restaurant in a cottage home walking distance from UNA campus. Nice selection of starters, salads, entrées, and desserts. The wine selection was good and not overpriced. We had the ahi tuna appetizer which was excellent! The Cesar salad was very fresh with homemade croutons and dressing. I had a question about the spices used on the grilled southwestern white shrimp and was greeted by the owner/chef to answer my question. Both the shrimp and the filet were perfectly cooked and delicious. We did not have dessert, but the table next to us gave theirs rave reviews.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband and I were very excited to try this "award-winning" restaurant. Unfortunately, our experience did not meet our expectations. Upon entering, the hostess was yelling out names of parties to seat who were not there. There was only three couples (including us) waiting to be seated. The manager quickly told her to only focus on the guests who arrived and to take their names. When she seated us, my chair was not pulled out and my napkin was not placed in my lap, which is customary for high-end restaurants. I was reached over during our dining experience several times to refill my water. We began with the house salad, which was spinach drowned in their dressing with a couple of crumbles of cheese and a few miniature croutons. I ordered the Shrimp and Scallop Fettucini. The shirmp was tough, the scallops were small, and overall, the taste was very mediocre. My husband ordered the Australian lamp chops, and loved his dish. After speaking with the head chef, he was gracious enough to charge us half the price for my entree. Overall, I would not recommend this restaurant to others and will not be returning. There are several wonderful restaurants in Flagstaff with much better service and taste. I quickly learned that a restaurant does not have to recieve awards to be a wonderful experience.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was our third visit to Cottage Place. It is a cozy, 12 table only restaurant in a house in a cute neighborhood just blocks from downtown Flagstaff. The service is imepccable and the food outstanding. We had the Chateaubriand for 2 and it was amazing. Served and sliced tableside the steak was so tender you could cut it with a fork. Best steak we have ever had. Also ordered the soup of the day and bananas flambe (not on menu - you need to ask for it). Both served tableside. We will come back every time we are in Flagstaff.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I've been wanting to go here for about three years. Finally went to celebrate my birthday. I knew about the prices so I was not shocked by that. What I didn't expect was that the petite filet was so petite! True the flavor and sauce were exceptional, but it was very small. The side of vegetables was also a small amount. We had two entrees, a bottle of wine, and dessert for almost the same price as the wine pairing menu- which is definitely the way to go. With that, you get 5 or 6 items paired with wine (or not) which gives you the most bang and food for your buck. The theme changes each month. For June it's an Asian theme. Also the waiters seemed a little unorganized the night we went and they haves on all kinds of awards for the wait staff. By the way, it doesn't matter if it's your birthday or anniversary, they just put a candle in whatever you order. You know they are making money...on the wine alone, so do a little something when it's a special occasion. A little piece of chocolate or ???

1  Thank somrtravl
Reviewed June 16, 2014

While visiting, in honor of my husbands birthday, I wanted to take him to the "Best" restaurant in Flagstaff. Based on other Trip Advisor ratings and comments, this was the place. Admittedly, last minute (around 1:50 p.m. the day of) I tried to make reservations through Open Table and was unsuccessful. I almost gave up and find another restaurant, but instinct told me to call the restaurant directly. A very friendly person asked me to call after 2:00 p.m., which I did and was able to get an 8:30 p.m. reservation. A little late, but we made it work. We ordered the Lamb Chops for Two, arranged at the table, and a nice bottle of wine. The Spinach Salad was great but we thought the butter for the bread had an interesting taste to it. Interesting meaning, not great. The waitress was very friendly but seemed somewhat inexperienced. Opening the wine bottle was a challenge. Once she knew she wasn't being completely successful, she probably should have excused herself and opened it in private. And, transferring the lamb chops to our plates was cumbersome at best. Since we are accustomed to restaurants where presentation matters, I think the chef might have cringed a bit. But she tried and probably hasn't been trained in the classier restaurant style. We were very appreciative of being seated in a secluded part of the entrance porch, as it might get a little loud in the main part of the restaurant, but I'll have to return to confirm that. The friendliness, menu, food, and wine selection would make us return here when visiting Flagstaff again. Our bill, including the bottle of wine (without tip) was about $130.00, about what I expected for a birthday celebration.

Been to The Cottage? Share your experiences!