“Great restaurant in a city that doesn't offer much great food”
Review of The Cottage

The Cottage
Ranked #20 of 348 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: South Humphreys
Description: Welcome to The Cottage, formerly The Cottage Place. Join Chef Scott Heinonen and his team for farmhouse bistro cuisine inspired by the flavors of the French countryside. ​ After 6 weeks of refreshing renovations, we are officially open for dinner and are currently accepting reservations. The Cottage Chef Owner Scott Heinonen is a graduate from the School of Hotel and Restaurant Management at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, Arizona. Over the past 30 years, Heinonen has cooked throughout the Southwest, Pacific Northwest and Northern California. He has also completed numerous continuing education courses at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in Napa Valley. A highlight of this time was his stint as a private chef for Sir Paul McCartney and Heather Mills. ​ Returning to Flagstaff in 2005, Heinonen was the opening chef of the popular Cuvee 928 Wine Bar & Cafe, where his cooking was met with rave reviews and created a culinary buzz with local gourmands. Following this time at Cuvee, Heinonen fulfilled a lifelong goal of operating his own restaurant. Tinderbox Kitchen opened in May of 2009, leading the culinary resurgence of Flagstaff and San Francisco Street’s “Southside.” Heinonen’s concept of “American Comfort Food Redefined” quickly made Tinderbox a regional favorite, garnering numerous accolades and creating an stellar reputation statewide. ​ 2017 brings a new culinary chapter for Heinonen with the opening of The Cottage, formerly the Cottage Place. He has transformed this long time, Flagstaff fine dining restaurant into a stylish farmhouse French bistro, which opened April 23, 2017 for dinner service. ​ The Cottage cuisine reflects the regional country dishes of France, interpreted with Heinonen’s modern sensibility, incorporating locally sourced ingredients. Chef Heinonen’s culinary passion is deeply rooted in cooking with the seasons and the ever-changing menu of The Cottage will emanate this philosophy. Diners can look forward to exploring French cuisine prepared with heart and soul.
Reviewed May 18, 2014

This was an outstanding find after several days in Flagstaff without much good eating. The food and atmosphere were wonderful. I had the spinach and goat cheese strudel and my husband had the duck breast. We both had caesar salads. For dessert, we shared a chocolate silk pie slice. The owner/chef was terrific; he gave me the recipe for the strudel!! They also have their own cookbook that I bought. Now that I am home, I am eager to try out some of the recipes in the book.

There are newer reviews for The Cottage

Reviewed May 17, 2014

We had just arrived in Flagstaff after a long drive from Los Angeles. I wanted to try this place since it was rated #1 on Trip Advisor. We called from our cell phone and managed to get a table at 6 pm on a Friday night. It is a small place, so a little hard to spot. Upon arrival we were seated in a nook in the front of the restaurant that we had all to ourselves, which was quite nice. We started off with cream of asparagus soup, a glass of the chef's recommended wine for the evening for my husband and some passion fruit green tea for me. My husband chose the duck for his entrée and the portion was substantial -- sliced duck breast as well as leg and thigh. I chose the gorgonzola encrusted filet mignon, which melted in my mouth. It was a pricey dinner at $100 for the two of us, but you only live once! We would definitely return to try other dishes.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Ambiance is classy, quiet and peaceful. Service is impeccable and the food is outstanding. The Caesar salad prepared table side is the best I have ever had.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Four of us had dinner at the Cottage Place last night - and they definitely deserve their #1 rating in Flagstaff. The atmosphere was "sophisticated casual"; the service was attentive and excellent; and the food was exquisite. Two of us had the daily special: mussels with bearnaise sauce, rice pilaf and fresh vegetables - each element was properly prepared and very tasty. Our other two had the (menu) shrimp and mussels over linguine, and the grilled shrimp. The menu had a delicious-sounding array of filet mignon, which some of us plan to try on our next visit. We all raved about the food and overall experience. We will definitely be back - and we live in Prescott, which is 2 hours away!!!!

1  Thank Budly32
Reviewed April 21, 2014

What a quaint restaurant...in a renovated cottage. The atmosphere was warm and friendly. The menu had a wonderful variety...I wanted to try them all. I enjoyed the spinach salad followed by the tenderloin with mushroom ravioli....Scrumptious!! My husband had the spinach soup and Australian lamb chops which he said were very good.
Wine list was adequate for a small restaurant.
Wish it were closer so I could return.
Great for a romantic weekday date or a special occasion.

Been to The Cottage? Share your experiences!