“Superb Restaurant”
Review of The Cottage

The Cottage
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cottage is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 364 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: South Humphreys
Description: Welcome to The Cottage, formerly The Cottage Place. Join Chef Scott Heinonen and his team for farmhouse bistro cuisine inspired by the flavors of the French countryside.  ​ After 6 weeks of refreshing renovations, we are officially open for dinner and are currently accepting reservations. The Cottage Chef Owner Scott Heinonen is a graduate from the School of Hotel and Restaurant Management at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, Arizona. Over the past 30 years, Heinonen has cooked throughout the Southwest, Pacific Northwest and Northern California. He has also completed numerous continuing education courses at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in Napa Valley. A highlight of this time was his stint as a private chef for Sir Paul McCartney and Heather Mills. ​ Returning to Flagstaff in 2005, Heinonen was the opening chef of the popular Cuvee 928 Wine Bar & Cafe, where his cooking was met with rave reviews and created a culinary buzz with local gourmands. Following this time at Cuvee, Heinonen fulfilled a lifelong goal of operating his own restaurant. Tinderbox Kitchen opened in May of 2009, leading the culinary resurgence of Flagstaff and San Francisco Street’s “Southside.” Heinonen’s concept of “American Comfort Food Redefined” quickly made Tinderbox a regional favorite, garnering numerous accolades and creating an stellar reputation statewide. ​ 2017 brings a new culinary chapter for Heinonen with the opening of The Cottage, formerly the Cottage Place. He has transformed this long time, Flagstaff fine dining restaurant into a stylish farmhouse French bistro, which opened April 23, 2017 for dinner service. ​ The Cottage cuisine reflects the regional country dishes of France, interpreted with Heinonen’s modern sensibility, incorporating locally sourced ingredients. Chef Heinonen’s culinary passion is deeply rooted in cooking with the seasons and the ever-changing menu of The Cottage will emanate this philosophy. Diners can look forward to exploring French cuisine prepared with heart and soul.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

While riding around the Verde Valley on our Harley, my wife and I were invited to meet a close friend for dinner at the Cottage Place Restaurant. We had no idea what to expect, but let our host know that we were not traveling with dress clothes. He assured us it would be fine and we met him about 45 minutes late due to very poor online directions. While trying to find the restaurant, we called him to inform him of our situation and he gave his phone to a female restaurant employee (not sure of her position) and she very graciously (and patiently) gave us directions that got us there in no time. Upon arrival, we were treated like long-time customers and even called by name. Now I'm sure part of this (obviously) was due to our friend, but a good deal of credit goes to the restaurant employees. All were friendly, helpful & professional. The food was fairly pricey, but very good. Everything was perfect. They even let us sit and visit after they were technically "closed" without rushing us or making us feel like we were holding them up. A perfect evening spent with a very good friend. Don't forget to try the cheese cake!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Flagstaff dining has come a long way in the past several years, however Cottage Place has always been the best. The soups are incredible and everything on the menu is a treat.Their Holiday buffets have incredible selection and quality.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

My wife and I had found Cottage Place in the Michelin Guide (but surprisingly not in the local restaurant guides). It took us a little while to find the Cottage Place, and quite frankly, it's not in the best looking neighbourhood in Flagstaff (near the railway line). Cottage Place looks like somebody's home and I was all for looking elsewhere but my wife went in to look at the menu (and get a feel for the place). The menu was mainly French style food but with some local south western US food as well. We arrived to learn that there had been a power cut earlier and some people had cancelled - which was why they could accommodate walk-in diners. I'm glad we took the risk because the food and service were extremely good. (It made us wonder why the local guides hadn't included them when they had included a nearby brew pub which didn't look half as nice.) We both enjoyed our meals. The atmosphere was intimate - we had a table in the covered "porch" which doesn't sound great but it had been well designed. There was an interesting booklet summarising the history of the place. We would certainly revisit Cottage Place if we are in Flagstaff again - but to be honest we much preferred Sedona as a place to stop over and explore.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We recently stayed in Flagstaff and decided to give Cottage Place a try because it was highly recommended by our guide book but mainly because the owners of the B&B we were staying at in Flagstaff, the England House, said how marvelous it was. My husband and I are both "foodies" and can be somewhat jaded by restaurants that only talk the talk. Trust me, this isn't one of those restaurants!! We had Chateaubriand which also included a salad and their delicious butternut squash soup. Seriously, this was the best meal that I can remember at a restaurant in quite some time and we do way more fine dining than we should. Frank is the owner and chef. He typically comes out to your table to greet you. If you enjoy cooking, or know someone who does, ask the wait or to bring you a signed copy of his cookbook. Cooking is a hobby and I have at least 100 cookbooks, but this has many of the recipes that they prepare in the restaurant and that are the types I food I enjoy preparing. I just was there a few weeks ago and made the squash soup and the pecan tart and have had people requesting the recipes. Highly recommended!!!!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed the tasting menu with wine on October 16. I had the beef and my husband had the venison. Both were great. The service was flawless. We can't wait to go back.

Been to The Cottage? Share your experiences!