“Excellent old school sushi”

Hiro's Sushi Bar & Japanese
Ranked #110 of 370 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2015

It has been awhile since I have been here, and there is some showing of age on the place. I remember the place being hard to get into at lunchtime but is now maybe a third to half full at that time. That being said, we had plenty of attention from the friendly staff. Good miso soup as an appetizer. Great hot green tea with that toasted flavor in the background. I then had the sashimi lunch plate with a California roll. Great combination as there was just the right amount of sushi and sashimi. Wasabi is a bit weak in the sense of being from powder and not fresh, but with the slower traffic in the place I suppose fresh would go to waste. It was a great lunch and I really don't know how I came to stop thinking of this place as a great lunch.

Reviewed August 8, 2015

The place is not the cosiest around and could use a little refurbishing, but nothing too bad. That's all for negatives.
The staff is friendly, the service is fast and above all: the sushi is great. Plenty of choice of rolls, sashimi, salads, etc. The restaurant was packed and we were lucky to get in without a reservation. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed July 24, 2015

Googled for a Japanese restaurant. Busy even though we went on a Monday night. That's a good sign! Delicious bento boxes.

Reviewed July 4, 2015

We've enjoyed other Japanese restaurants in Flagstaff that serve "American style" sushi which is served with a lot of sauces and condiments. And while there's nothing wrong with that, being Japanese, sometimes I want more traditional fare. Hiro's is the best place to go in Flagstaff for more authentic Japanese food. While they do have fancy and exotic rolls, I sometimes enjoy just getting some tuna sushi and sashimi, with a side of shrimp or vegetable tempura. Portions are generous, and service was friendly and efficient. I will definitely be going back in the near future.

Reviewed July 2, 2015

Very nice selection of sushi. We used a restaurant.com certificate, and took advantage of the Sapporo and salmon cheek appetizer special. Ordered several rolls and an udon bowl, with good success. Service was poor, but that may be due to our particular server. We had no follow-up after the food arrived, and had a very hard time getting our check and then finding someone to take the money. Other than that, a very good experience.