“A joke of a motel..”

Ranked #60 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Phoenix, Arizona
“A joke of a motel..”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This motel is laughably bad. Upon initially pulling into the parking lot at 10:00pm, there were 2 sketchy characters in hoodies standing next to a giant rack of kayaks which was taking up 2 full parking spaces in the already tiny parking lot. After finally getting parking, (where you can't even get out of your car because the spaces are so smashed together) we entered the lobby which smelled bizarre. A man appeared behind the counter and shouts back to who I am guessing is his wife. We get our key and go to the room.

The room is the tiniest hotel room I have ever been in. About 12ft x 10ft. It consists of a bed, a tiny desk with a TV propped up above it, a mini-fridge, and one nightstand. The "closet" is not big enough for a suitcase to fit and the door to the closet does not shut. The bathroom, although has nice tile and a nice shower head is a little bigger than an airplane bathroom. You have to stand inside of the shower in order to close the door.

The heater worked just fine, but you can hear train noise from your room all night. If you are a heavy sleeper, it will probably not bother you. The bathroom fan (which automatically turns on when the light is on, and cannot be turned off) is way louder and sounds like a jet landing. There is also no electrical outlet in the bathroom, so if you are planning on using a blow dryer or curling iron, you have to do so in the room using the mirror above the desk (and with an outlet which is 5 feet up from the floor?) instead of in the bathroom.

The "breakfast" is the worst coffee you've ever tasted and a tray of white bread. The woman at the desk also informed us that if we wanted to eat the breakfast, we had to do so in the lobby because we are "not allowed" to take it back to the room...

Finally, if you stay here, make sure you deadbolt the door because even though check-out is at 11:00am, the housekeeping staff will barge into your room at 9:15am WITHOUT KNOCKING while you are still in bed AND HAVE THE DO NOT DISTURB SIGN ON THE DOOR!!!

The only pro about this place would be that is it is the cheapest place within walking distance of everything downtown.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank xoddityxx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2011

My brother and I arrived in Flagstaff for the first time on the last day of October. We wanted to visit the Grand Canyon, Lowell observatory and Meteor Crator.

Whilst in Wendy's I picked up a Hotel saver book. This hotel was one of the cheapest in the book, from $36 so we thought we'd try it. ( Oh dear ).

On arrival in the lobby we said we wanted a double room which, fair enough, was more than the minimum of $36 as expected. The ( I now know to be ) famous rude desk lady said it would be something like $56 + tax. We were quite surprised at the much higher price. I pointed out the book and she explained about taxes & stuff. She then came up with another price of about $50 per night for 3 nights.
We both nodded at this, until she proclaimed + tax. I mentioned to my brother, under my breath, that the tax was a killer.

" OK $150 total " the famous rude desk lady, snapped. Ok, keep your hair on, I thought. We probably would have accepted the earlier price anyway.

Anyway, enough of the warm and friendly welcome. What was the motel like?

Run down at best. This place is ready for a bulldozer.
Easily one of the worst motels I've stayed in. Ok, maybe not THE worst, the rooms were below average rather than rock bottom. Room was dark and dingy. A highway portaloo would have been more comfortable than the shower/washroom. The crumbling corridors were also very dimly lit. It did not feel safe at night.
Another thing which bugged me was the parking lot. It was simply not big enough. We arrived back late after visiting the Grand Canyon to find there was barely enough room to park, despite there being spaces. The spaces are not big enough and some vehicles were parked over lines. I eventually mangaged to park, but my car was partly stuck out onto the sidewalk.

Maybe this motel can redeem itself with a hearty breakfast?

Err, no.

But if you like cheap stale bread, microscopic muffins & tasteless coffee you'll love it!!
As well as being watched over constantly, like a hawk, by you know who.
The famous rude desk lady mentioned to a french visitor who was taking food out that it was not allowed, but she then snapped back " OK, take it ".
Why even mention it in the first place, then? I know that some guests take the liberty at times, but I didn't see a need for this outburst.

I am sorry I visited this place, in fact...................no.

No I'm not sorry. I'm glad I visited, just so I could see how bad it was. It has also taught me to never visit a Rodeway Inn ever again. And that goes for all the rest of the Choice Hotels Group establishments.

I know what they all are now, having googled them.

And I will avoid them like The Black Death.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank longfella

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Arizona
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Somehow we have ended up here several times. It is small, run down, and pretty poorly maintained. But it is in a good location close to some good places to eat and all of downtown Flagstaff. It is cleaner than camping and the train noise is only a few times a night. The "continental breakfast" is indeed white bread and bad coffee, but there are good places nearby so we don't eat at the hotel. We have to be in Flagstaff a few times a year, and when it is too cold to camp and we just need a place to crash, this one will do. It is OK, just keep your expectations VERY low and don't look too closely at anything. Oh, and avoid any extended interaction with anyone in the office.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank rbgrcatraveler
Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado
Reviewed November 21, 2011

i made a reservation 2 weeks in advance to spend my birthday visiting the grand canyon and lowell observatory so it seemed only right to stay at the nearest and cheapest place to them. well i "rode" into town and had a college friend pick me up and take me to the hotel. i arrived at the downtown rodeway inn and before i got my room i asked nicely to see the room before i checked in. the woman who says her name is "Elaine" (india middle aged woman) was EXTREMELY rude, told me to give her the key that was already on the counter, and switched it with another room key (i thought that was weird). then before i left i asked for a map of the complex to see where my room was and she said "what do you need a map for? the room is right around the corner". i said "ok", and walked out with the key. i went to the room and looked in, and it seemed fair for the price, so i started bringing my luggage in with the help of my considerate friend. well almost immediately after we got all the luggage in the room and my friend and i were discussing where to get a bite to eat, i got a knock on the door. i opened the door and it was "Elaine"! i said "yes?" and she said " come to the office right now to sign for the room!" i said "ok i was just about to do that, and i thought i had already signed for the room with the paperwork i filled out before you gave me the key?" she replied "no you didnt". so i agreed and started out the door. then elaine proceeded, and this is where it gets good, to tell me that if i had a friend in my room he would have to pay to be there! lol we both told her he was just visiting me and she refused to allow that! she said he would have to pay a full night, and my friend and i both looked at her like she had 3 eyes! we were both arguing with her and she began to get right up t0 my face just yelling in a foreign language! i told her "i am going to call the police if you dont calm down", and she said "no if you dont leave i am going to call the police!" lol at this point my friend told me to get my things and lets go look for another hotel room. i am absolutely sure at that point that she was refusing me service, and taking my friends advice we got into the car and drove to the next rodeway inn, where they were much much better. needless to say "ELAINE" charged me $42 and when i called choice hotels 1 week later, they told me to talk to the manager, but of course "ELAINE" is the manager and is there every day, and has no intention on paying me back or making this right whatsoever. complete thieves and a downer on my bday. i will NEVER stay there again as long as they own the place. its been 3 weeks and absolutely no consideration for my hard earned money, long travels, inconsideration and complete in-hospitality. it was almost worth the $42 to see the devil come out of this woman. it made me appreciate friendly faces even more.

Room Tip: no room at all. better to sleep on the train tracks
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
12 Thank JM221
Marquez, Texas
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We saw the internet rate of $35. The famous rude desk lady said no, it was $45 but very nice room! Great location to a very nice restaurant: Beaver Street Brewery. Continental breakfast was white bread and mini muffins. Rude lady offended when I asked for tea. Coffee was so bad my husband poured it out and bought more at gas station. If you're doing the train probably good location or the historial downtown area but really disappointed this was in the "Choice" chain.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BandDMarquezTX
Keizer, Oregon
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This hotel was a nightmare. We arrived too late to cancel without being charged, the first room they gave us was the size of a cubicle with barely enough room to walk around the bed. The sheets were dirty and one of the pillows had long hairs on it. The second room smelled of urine and the carpet was filthy with stains. The third room's bathroom was marginal at best and was located right next to the highway and train tracks. This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. This includes hotels in the third world countries I have visited.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank bgolfguy
TEXAS
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Waited at the desk with 2 other customers for awhile before getting service & that should have been my first warning & should have walked out. The guy finally showed up behind the desk & after paying he told me if there was anything we needed to let them know. It had been raining & it was cold in the room & no heat & noticed no coffee maker. I called the desk & he told me they turned the heat off during the summer & that they have space heaters, but he had customers & we would have to come & get them & same thing with coffee maker. NO flipping service . AC filter was plugged. Ice machine didn't work. Door to outside didn't lock & anyone could walk in & wonder the halls. Not impressed with the place at all & would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family