“What should have been a good visit went sour”

Northern Arizona University
Ranked #18 of 109 things to do in Flagstaff
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We were looking forward to visiting NAU and their art museum for the first time. We got the times of the museum on the college's website, as well as a map and parking directions for the museum (park in the assigned spaces tnen go in an get the parking pass at the museum).
The students we met were very helpful in giving us directions--we parked in the museum spaces, went into the wrong building but students helped us to the correct building (the grand 1899 Old Main), found the museum which had a sign that it was closed that day. We were disappointed but did see their great RC Gorman sculpture. When we returned to the car we found that in the short time we were there, we had gotten a ticket for parking illegally! Obviously very angry, I called the parking department to complain that they did not follow their own procedures. He was very pleasant but told me I could appeal online which I said I would not do but he could resolve the issue for me.

Too bad this incident left a bad taste. NAU has a beautiful campus, a long history of education and friendly, helpful students. I am not sure I would return there.

3  Thank Pnemiller

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Visited 5 college campus' in 4 states. NAU was one of the nicest ones. I like how NAU deals with the safety of their students. The ease and access to the town is an extra plus. The only negative I had was it was darn COLD - especially for Hawaiian girls.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

We visited the campus bookstore and were able to park right outside. The bookstore is huge and offers a variety of wares for every age. We were looking for souvenirs for teens so this was a great option. The campus is beautiful...a lovely drive through it and you can stop to see the museum as well. A nice place to visit for an hour or two.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

I went to my daughters graduation, it was wonderful except that we couldn't park at the sky dome we had to take the shuttle.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

There are over 20,000 students on campus. The old north campus builidngs are of historical interest and the "1899 Restaurant" has some really decent meals. There is a museum and displays in the old administration building. If you want to see the whole campus, it might be easier to take the frequently running buses. The "Parking Nazis" are out in force and I have never really figured out where it is legal and illegal to park; confusing at best. The "Walkup" sports complex is interesting (Yes, that is its name). The campus is always changing. Lot's of new student housing off campus and a large, new science building is going up. A new aquaplex ($47 Million) will start (hopefully) this year.