“Elevating experience at a four story Motel 6”

Motel 6 Flagstaff East - Lucky Lane
Ranked #55 of 66 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Concluding a full day's travel and having no reservation, I was given a third story room. Normally, I would have balked at such a room assignment (I don't have good balance walking down stairs). The saving grace that clinched the deal for me was the one elevator. If worked fine (if a bit on the noisy side) and minimized the steps to this weary traveler's room. Few Motel 6 locations have an elevator. This one does, and is very helpful to those on the upper floors. It's located towards the front desk, but even so, it is not that far away from the rooms on the opposite end of this rectangular lodging. A doable situation should you stay on the third or fourth floor.

The room: typical Motel 6 with carpet (a good thing for footing, considering the rainy/snowy weather that May day) and a real tub (no shower cubicle). Flat screen LCD television with the standard Motel 6 channel lineup, which includes ESPN and HBO. Everything worked and appeared to be clean. No mold, mildew, bedbugs or other housekeeping deficiencies. Mattress was in firm condition and pillows were standard, so I used two pillows to lay my head - the common situation when I'm at a Motel 6. I couldn't hear my neighboring guests through the walls or ceiling/floor.

Heating and air conditioning are individually controlled at the unit by the window. The heating worked well for my stay.

The remodeled Motel 6 motels sport a new wood type flooring and the shower cubicle. I'm hoping for the safety reasons I've already mentioned they don't put in the wood flooring at the next major remodel. A tub is also my preference, as I find the shower cubicle to be on the small side. Tubs seem to be disappearing from Motel 6 with each new major remodel of their properties, so enjoy the tub while it is still offered here.

I knew the railroad was within a few blocks of the motel, but didn't hear anything from the trains. Being a deep sleeper is an advantage here, of course. Several past experiences in other motels along the eastern part of Route 66 in Flagstaff have shown me that railroad noise can be bothersome, even for me. Not so with this motel. Yes, it is by Interstate 40. Even so, no obvious noise from the Interstate.

A real plus for this motel is its location on Lucky Lane, which caters to travelers. Lots of other motels nearby, and Denny's, McDonald's and Taco Bell are nearby, as is Sam's Club for fuel. I find the location here quite handy, and think you will too. I was also comforted to observe a wide variety of different license plates from the US and Canada, which tells me this Motel 6 is catering to travelers, and not one night stands with its accompanying crime. It looked as though a lot of the rooms were booked the night I stayed.

Normally I don't comment about what other travelers review, especially when it's concerning a lodging. I'm making an exception here. On this return trip, I didn't have the luxury at looking at TripAdvisor to make a booking, and just getting home with minimal expense in relative comfort was my overall goal. I was rather surprised to see so many very negative ratings for this motel. My experience staying here was worry free and with no complaints. If it is true there is still a problem with maintainance and housekeeping, my guess is it might be with the first and second floors. The check in desk clerk remarked to me those are the rooms that are given to those with reservations and/or early arrivals and are occupied more often than the third and fourth floor rooms. So keep that in mind. I'd rate this particular location on a par with Grants, NM (room) and Kingman east, AZ (location and neighborhood). See my past reviews of these motels for details. Kind of a hybrid between these two.

Bottom line: would Underdog steer you wrong? Go check this place out. If I had a good night's stay, I think you can do likewise.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Underdog_SPP

Reviewed May 26, 2011

needs a make over, older motel that needs some tlc, try the other motel 6s in Flagstaff

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2011

This is about as standard a motel as you can get. Our room was fine, and you can't hear the railroad which is an issue in lots of places in Flagstaff. Breakfast is pretty basic, although the waffles were good, but get there in good time as it runs short.
Despite a checkout time of 11am our room key was stopped by 10.
If you want a really cheap price pick up a hotel coupons booklet at the Flagstaff visitor centre - this place took the coupon on a Friday.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2010

This is your average run-of-the-mill Motel 6. Actually, it's a step below other Motel 6's that I have stayed at previously. We stayed here for the night on a drive from SoCal to the East Coast and I was extremely tired, this was the first place we hit and it's bad but it's decent enough for a good nights sleep. I'm a Motel 6 frequent guest as I am more about using my money for fun and my trip versus a room to not stay in. It's perfect for sleeping and leaving the head onto your way the following morning. The staff was very friendly and accommodating to my 1st floor room request.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SoCalC8
Reviewed April 25, 2009

This hotel is in very bad shape. I checked in and the staff was very unfriendly. When i got to my room it was very dark and had a stale smell in it. I went to lay down and the sheets had a crusty white film on them. i called down to the front desk and the gm manager mark said there was nothing he could do. I checked later that day and stayed at super 8 down the road. Would never stay in the hotel again. I had heard good things about the manager before mark so i went there.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Simson10
Reviewed March 22, 2009

This is your basic Motel 6 experience. just a basic, no-frills room for the night. This property is getting a bit run down compared to the nearby the butler ave motel 6. I've stayed here maybe half a dozen times over the past five years. last time though, this one was full, so I stayed up the block at the butler av property. I'd say that the Butler av property is worth the extra few $$$$. Flagstaff is a railroad town, proximate to the Grand Canyon. Beware that trains come trundling by every 20 minutes or so.... if you are a light sleeper, this is not the town for you. The staff has been friendly, and they've been very flexible with late arrivals and last minute reschedulings. Please do a remodel!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2008

came from Las Vegas via Grand Canyon to Flagstaff and needed a Motel. As we were tired we were not looking long for a hotel.
Reception on arrival verry nice, dep not so....
The room..... the carpet was worn and the room was looking to be used a lot. As it was quite cold outside 0 °C it was going cold in the room and the AC was not working on the low level. So we heated to room up before going to sleep. Was not shure if bedsheets were realy changed.... fortunatily i was tired and it was dark so I could not see to mutch details...

Stayed: November 2008