“Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere!!!”

Motel 6 Flagstaff West-Woodland Village
Ranked #47 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Wenatchee
“Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere!!!”
Reviewed August 5, 2008

This was the only hotel that I and my son stayed at during a 2 week vacation that had no redeeming qualities. The less expensive cost of lodging was NOT worth the price. This is a three story motel with outside sidewalks instead of interior hallways.

How did I hate thee, let me count the ways:

1. Confused and rude staff. Who says multi-tasking is a good thing? During check-in they had problems locating my reservation, then after 20 minutes of waiting the clerk wanted me to come back in 2 hours because my room wasn't clean (it was 5:30 pm). I felt like I had to walk on eggshells as the desk clerks appeared on the verge of suffering a China Syndrome.

2. Cigarette butts piled in the walkways along with that wonderful lingering "ashtray" odor. This is a non-smoking property, so gaggles of smokers stand outside of their rooms to smoke and just throw their butts on the sidewalk. And, yes, you will walk through clouds of tobacco smoke as you pass these human chimneys.

3. Extremely cramped rooms. My bed was pushed up against one wall, my son's against the other, with an 18" aisle between the two.

4. Marginal air-conditioning. It's Arizona, folks, need I say more?

5. Awful bedding. The bed spread was filthy looking (I wondered what C.S.I. might find with their special lights). The sheets were rough, and they did not fit the bed. Thank goodness that I bring my own pillow when I travel.

6. Mold in the bathroom.

7. Constant thumping noises as people use the balcony-style sidewalks. The reverberation from people walking is just a fact of life with that style of construction.

8. Rowdy and noisy behavior from other guests which the staff would not address when a complaint was made. You know the type of behavior I'm talking about here.... a buncha folks from connecting rooms standing outside passing beers around and getting progressively louder as the empties begin piling up. Multiple calls to the motel desk brought bored acknowledgements and no action. I finally had to call the Flagstaff police dept, which quieted things down at around 1:15am.

9. When checking out the next morning and asked how my stay was, I politely let the desk person know. I was told in a sarcastic tone, "What can you expect from a bargain motel?" I replied that considering the issues, that this motel property was certainly no bargain. I didn't hear the snotty reply that was made as I was busy exiting the office at that point.

Well, I feel like I can now wash my hands of that experience. But hey....what's not to like?

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2008
1 Thank MartinReginald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We were too worn out to do another night camping, so we decided to look for a hotel. We were blown away at how expensive even other budget hotels were. Finally we found this Motel 6 ($50 versus a $35 tent pad at KOA). The staff was extremely overwhelmed with other last minute bookings but were working so hard to try to get everyone a room.

Wi Fi was excellent and only $3.00.

The rooms were clean, the shower and toilet was brand new.

Even though the hotel looked a little worn down from the outside, it was very clean (but very basic) on the inside.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — The value
  • Disliked — Staff Service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank simpleutahboi
Netherlands
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Standard Motel 6 room, with wonderfully firm beds (the nights before we had much too soft beds: see Apache Motel, Moab).

Good location with many restaurants in walking distance (e.g. Red Lobster, Sizzler, etc.). Moreover, Wall Mart is just across the street.

Very good value for money.

Flagstaff is a great city: not to big, but with all services you would like, and wonderfull nature around (in various climate zones).

• Liked — Location, quality of beds
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dutchman-nl
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 28, 2007

I gave three stars as it is average for Motel 6 and the price range. Any higher price and it would have gone down in number of stars quickly. Keep in mind you are paying about the lowest rate you'll see in hotels (I suppose next to working for one), and thus you need to keep your expectations at a basic level. Book online if you can as they have about a 10% discount for online booking. Room was very small and amenities were absolute basics. Towels in bathroom were very basic quality and extent of toiletries was two very basic bars of soap - no shampoo or other amenities. However, despite the room and property being pretty shopworn, it was generally clean and bed was reasonably comfortable. If you are like me on this particular stay, looking for the lowest price and okay with just barebones accommodations, this can pass - again especially for the price you're paying. If you are looking for more than a night and/or need more than absolute basics, then look elsewhere. There's other hotels nearby that will cost more but be more comfortable.

• Liked — Location for what I was doing, price
  • Disliked — barebones room and amentiies, but that's what I chose for the price!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank wouldbeworldtraveler
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed February 18, 2006

After a terrible experience with the Best Value Inn & Suites in town we found this place at the last minute.

I'd call it a typical Motel 6. Nothing fancy, but the room was relatively clean and the beds comfortable. I 40 is right next to it and you do hear the road noise if you have your a/c or heat off. The T.V. had your basic cable channels, but we weren't really in town to watch t.v anyway.

The staff was quite friendly and very helpful. We were travelling with a 9 month old and they found us a baby crip at no extra charge. They also recommended a pretty good local restaurant for breakfast that is right across the road in a strip mall. A young Hispanic family owns it and they had great meals with a SouthWest flavor.

Flagstaff is great town to base out of for the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and Sedona. We had great weather in early February with sunny weather, no wind and day time temperatures close to 60 along the Grand Canyon Rim and in the 70's by Sedona.

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank Bobber67
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 1, 2005

We've stayed there before and thought it was ok. This last time though...

When we pulled down the sheets there was a big red stain in the middle of the bottom sheet, it looked like blood, and a kleenex. When I took the sheet to the desk I was told that their best housekeeper had cleaned it that day and it couldn't have been a dirty sheet (translates what did I spill on the sheet).

In the morning they took $10 off the tab without saying a word. No word of apology for a dirty bed.

I'd really think twice before staying there.

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Kentucky
Reviewed June 26, 2005

The price was great. We only needed a bed and a shower and that is what we got. Staff was friendly and rooms clean. No complaints. If you rather spend your money on other things, this is a good place to stay. Good location, shopping area across the street and several good places to eat just up the street. We had a great view of the mountains.

• Stayed June 2005