“Not impressed”

MIX on the Square
Ranked #43 of 387 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: For breakfast, lunch or dinner or anything in between... MIX is it for fresh food in an open comfortable environment in the middle of historic downtown.
Reviewed June 8, 2016

Not too impressed with this one. It is one of those places where they have a board with all their offerings and you check boxes on a paper menu to order your food. Service was fast and friendly.
DW had a chicken salad sandwich that she said was very bland. She also had French Onion soup. She found hard black pieces in it and dug them out. When a manager came by and asked how everything was, she showed them to him and he said " Oh, those are just caramelized onions". Really? Caramelized? Can you say burnt to a crisp?
I had a Hawaiian grilled cheese which was very good but I paired it with a strawberry/spinach salad that had a very tart strawberry vinaigrette dressing. Man - still makes me pucker just thinking about it. For my drink I selected a cucumber, orange, lemon, infused water that was just nasty. I poured it out and tried the pomegranate flavored green tea and it was only slightly better.
To be fair, the manager and a waitress both offered to replace the soup and my salad but we declined. The burnt onion should have never made it in the soup pot but my salad was just a personal taste thing.
Also, this place is downtown and parking on a Wednesday morning was not to be found. I guess we'll look elsewhere next time.

Date of visit: June 2016

Reviewed June 5, 2016 via mobile

A very pleasant meal in Flagstaff. We stopped at Mix while driving from the Grand Canyon to Phoenix. The sandwiches we had were a perfect road trip break. The ingredients were well balanced and delicious. The dining area was unusual and fun. It is unusual to find a restaurant like this in a building with a number of small stores.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed June 1, 2016 via mobile

Our daughter took us here for breakfast when we visited her during memorial weekend .
It was breakfast and surprisingly have a variety of selectons.
Good food and great service . One comment is their coffee . Wish it was a little stronger . Not sure if it's the quality of coffee beans used or just the ratio of grounds and water . It was just watered down for my taste .
Might come back and try their mimosa or bloody Mary for breakfast .

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed May 24, 2016

I was on my way to the Canyon and only got enough time for a cup of coffee. In that short time i loved this place. The hosts were so nice and friendly. On my request they made my Irish coffee less sweet. If i ever get a chance to be in Flagstaff again I will definitely go there.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed May 24, 2016

MIX is order at the counter for food and drinks but the food is served to your table. Most kind and helpful staff....what I remember best was the people. We joined others on the patio to enjoy a "lunch on the Square." Lots of wind but very nice. And good food, especially the Southwestern western salad with corn and beans. A very nice break in our visit to Flagstaff.

Date of visit: April 2016

Been to MIX on the Square? Share your experiences!