“Excellent Pan European fare” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coppa Cafe

Coppa Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Coppa Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 338 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: French, European, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Coppa is a European-style cafe/bistro set amidst the mountains of Flagstaff serving lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. While northern Arizona might at first seem an unlikely dining destination for serious epicureans, Coppa Cafe's combination of talent and unconventional procurement methods have set the small, casual eatery atop the "can't miss" list of every discerning foodie from Phoenix to Santa Fe. Choosing to go against the grain of the franchise and chain restaurants often found in smaller-town America, husband and wife owners and chefs Brian Konefal and Paola Fioravanti instead favor house-cured meats, ingredients locally procured from nearby farms and ranches and foraged foods found in the forests around Flagstaff to incorporate into their dishes. Though their procurement methods might seem unconventional for the region, their talents are rooted in tradition, following lifelong culinary careers spent crisscrossing Europe and the U.S., Training under the tutelage of some of the finest and most decorated chefs in their respective countries. As Coppa's tagline states, the tiny, intimate venue offers "a taste of Europe in the mountains of Flagstaff," and the culinary team prides itself on providing just that through balancing local finds with progressive techniques, resulting in an unprecedented, sophisticated and pilgrimage-worthy experience.
Topeka, Kansas, United States
“Excellent Pan European fare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I could have been eating at a fine restaurant in any major US city (with lower prices) in this quaint restaurant off Milton Road. With a menu of dishes inspired by France and Italy, try this place while you are in Flagstaff and you won't be disappointed. Save room for desert as the gelato is excellent and the profiteroles are divine. I enjoyed the asparagus risotto and a house salad with a delightful vinaigrette before plunging into the chocolate covered profiteroles with vanilla gelato. The restaurant does not have a lot of seating, so be patient.

Visited July 2013

Arizona
“Loved this restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We recently had lunch here and especially liked the Salade Niçoise. It was very nicely presented, the ingredients very fresh and the dressing made the salad. Our waitress was charming and attentive and shared with us details about all the wonderful pastries and how they were made on site. They looked scrumptious, but unfortunately, we were too full to indulge. Next time we're passing through, we'll definitely stop here. Loved it!

Visited July 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply the best. Lunch and dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I can only say that if we lived in Flagstaff we would be eating here at least 2 times a weeks. This was our first visit and not our last. I cant wait to try so many things. My wife and I took pastries to go on our last lunch because we were too full and didn't want to skip anything. On our first visit for lunch as soon as we arrived we knew we were in for a treat. The place smelled amazing, some mix between freshly baked bread and that smell of Thanksgiving when the turkey is roasting. We ordered way too much food. The portions are large but we finished everything! Our cheese plate could have cost twice as much in Scottsdale and wouldn't have been as good. It was served with homemade bread, jam and the most delicious cheeses that were not to "crazy" but not at all boring. That night we returned for a late dinner! Half way through the meal, my wife stopped the pastry chef/ owner/ server because she couldn't believe that her dinner was even MORE amazing than the lunch. We ate a local beef tartar for a starter that we were told came from Prescott and was aged for 60 days in the restaurant. I don't understand what made it so amazing but I could eat this every day. The entrees were just as mind blowing. I had the Veal Blanquette, also local with seasonal vegetables. Best sauce I have ever had! The chef(husband) and pastry chef(wife) have a restaurant that although new, could compete on in any city in the world. Why Flagstaff? COME TO PHOENIX PLEASE!!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Pricey with variable quality”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I like to see local restaurants succeed, so tend to overlook small problems. I hate to say too much here. i have visited twice. First time, had excellent soup and sandwich - $50 for two people. Second time with four people, the entrees were more varied in quality. I didn't care for the chicken salad bruschetta (chicken was closer to pate than salad), the other entrees were ok, but not outstanding. Service was slow. Bad news: at desert time, we were served the wrong desert - (it happens), but when that was corrected, the cake slice we were served was half the size of the one on display. Worse, the owner came out to tell us that she was charging us the difference ($2.25) between the price of the desert served in error, and the correct desert. And then she would take only cash. In a place that serves $10 desserts, and where our bill was $75 for four people for lunch (no drinks other than water)! And she wouldn't take a credit card for the $2.25, just stood and watched while I dug every last penny out of my change purse. That left a sour taste despite the excellent gelato served with the cake. Would I go back? Maybe - for the soup and desserts. Hopefully, others have better experiences than we did, and this was just an off day.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SmilingArizonan
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Good food, not good staff.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I walked in for the first time, so it took me awhile to decide what to order. The female owner seemed annoyed and was far from friendly. The food itself was good, but the staff needs to work on manners.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Jessie R

Been to Coppa Cafe? Share your experiences!