“Would like a couple of recipes”
Review of Sugar Mamas

Sugar Mamas
Ranked #3 of 3 Bakeries in Flagstaff
Description: Old Fashioned Bakery in the historic South Side of downtown Flagstaff. Locally owned and operated.
East Bay, CA
“Would like a couple of recipes”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Location: Sugar mamas is located off the bustling downtown area in an area that seems to be undergoing gentrification. It seemed a good place to wonder about a bit and see what was being constructed.
Atmosphere: inside there is no seating. There are two bakery cases with a mixture of pastries and baked goods, heavier on baked goods. Did not seem to be coffee options.
Service: the day we were there the place was being run by one young woman. I asked her if she did all the baking and she said yes. She was efficient but not particularly friendly.
Food: There were cookies, cupcakes, brownies, danish, and scones. We ordered an almond cheese Danish, a red velvet and a spicy chocolate  cupcake,  an orange sugar cookie and a plain sugar cookie, and a brownie. The Danish tasted better than it looked. It was covered with slivered almonds and a light drizzle of frosting. Inside it was not flaky but chewy and flavorful with only a touch of cheese. I heated half the next day, and it was still good. Cookies were crunchy but tasty. The plain had a definite taste of almond extract. The other tasted of orange. Both were frosted with a glaze that was dried on the cookies. These tasted very good, fresh and not stale, but they are not soft.  The brownie was very rich and deep, dark chocolatey, quite good with a rich dark chocolate frosting. The cupcakes were the least appealing. While the frosting was good, the cupcakes were dried out and crumbly.

• Visited July 2012

Odessa, Florida
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stopped in to pick up some goodies to take home with us after our stay in Flagstaff. Unfortunately, 2 out of 3 cupcakes were so dry I ended up throwing them out (strawberry/ basil, red velvet). The coconut/chocolate cupcake was moist but only average. I haven't tried the berry tart or the lemon crumb cake yet, but I am hoping to be surprised. When I was at the store, I noticed a "day old" basket. Where the cupcakes suppose to be in there?? Also, I think that $3 per cupcake is a little much due to the quality. I don't think I will be back.

• Visited July 2012
Flagstaff, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“GREAT!!”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This is my first review and I thought it should be a good one! Sugar mamas is great! The cannoli is delectable! The ricotta cream is the best i've had. The chocolate bottom macaroons are awesome! The lemon blueberry tart is great! The chocolate chile cupcake is unique and like nothing I've ever had! It has a kick once you get to the cake!! The service is friendly and excellent. Seems pricy but for homemade everything its worth it! A great atmosphere and a cute shop! CHECK IT OUT!!!

• Visited August 2011